FIA seeking sole engine supplier from 2010

The Feedster

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hot from F1.com

Formula One racing's governing body, the FIA, has invited tenders for a third party supplier of engines and transmission systems to be used by competitors in the 2010, 2011 and 2012 world championships.The move to a single engine is one of several ideas being proposed by the FIA as a means of further reducing costs...

However, existing teams and engine suppliers could still be allowed to build their own engines, providing they are to the same standardised design specified by the third party supplier.

The move to a single engine is one of several ideas being proposed by the FIA as a means of further reducing costs and increasing competitiveness in the sport, which already has a freeze on engine development.

More...

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Man, the FIA are so full of tihs. Then there will be single chassis, all named Ferrari, who will win every race by whatever means. The drivers will also be uniform, they will all have to be 1.70 m tall and weigh 60 Kg and be as boring and predictable as Hamilton and Raikonen in interviews.
How about if they want to save even more, and make it environmental friendlier, they eliminate engines altogether, and the riders have to use their own muscle power. Instead of many races all over the world, which costs a lot of money, they will have one long difficult race, about three weeks in the mountains area of France. And the driver with the best doctor will win, as long as it is a Ferrari of course. :)

Salty25

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ Pace v3, and before that analouge 80cm dish with Prima by Pace box pointed at 19.2e (not very imaginative then!)
My Location
Colchester, Essex
It's a f***ing joke, to be blunt. What is F1 about? Cars. Cars, cars, cars. And crucially, cars with different perspectives on design. FIA should be encouraging innovation, not suffocating it.

Also, if I could be so bold, why is it so important that F1 has eternally uncompetitive teams such as Force India? If you want to give more drivers a sporting chance of competiting, why not allow teams to have more than 2 cars? Ferrari, Toyota and McLaren could easily put out 4 cars each GP, and Red Bull are more or less doing it on the cheap at the moment!

If you're looking at cost cutting, why not make it standard practice that the 3 top teams have to make their engines* available for sale/auction to the 3 bottom teams every year?

The FIA, ultimately, are looking at ways to make money for themselves by having designing tenders and such other arrangements routed through their authority. If this is the future of F1, then in my mind it was a dark day for top level European open-wheel racing when the team/manufactuers signed the Concorde Agreement.

*Last year's engine, obviously.