Fifth Gear - Down a Gear?

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
I just want to ask if anyone watched the first show in the new series of Fifth Gear (five) the other night. Like, to the very end of the show?

I think I watched about 20 minutes of it (its hard to tell with all the commercials, competitions, quizes and chit-chat) - then concluded that it and 'The Gaget Show' are made by the same production team.

Al Gore?

Both are simply awful (with a seemingly distinct lack of items). I don't consider 'Trash my Ride' an item. LOL - cue: JCB digger? [non car-person-host asks driver] "How you feeling" (as said 'digger' tries to 'crush' the crap out of a VW golf - does nothing unexpected and so tries to manouvere its 30tonnes of actual weight onto the vehicle).

If you ask me, it would have been more fun watching a 2CV trying to do the same - leaving said nackered 'ol VW with just a couple of scratches. They could call it "Scratch my Bitch."

Only the folks at Brainiac know how to destroy things.:-rofl2

Anyway, why is Fifth Gear now presented from a 50's forecourt dinner? While Vicky B-H just sat their looking nice, and the non-car person spoke about himself - I spent my time trying to find out what was on the chalk-boards.

Maybe it gets a mauling and subsequently gets better - but, if you ask me, I don't think even the talents of Vicky B-H and Tiff are going to save it. Or, are they trying to emulate the BBC Show?

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Could have sworn I had seen a stunt plane taking on a car somewhere before.

I wish there would be more items on bikes , but since a lot of them now have six gears, this programme falls short at the finish.

johnsattuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Topfield 5800 Echostar3000,DB7000, Relook 400S, Humax HDC2000, 55cm Fibo Gregorian dish with waveguide and Motek 2100 mod, 90cm Fibo Gregorian dish, 120cm Fibo Gregorian dish on a 1224 motor with waveguide
My Location
West Mids, UK
Channel Hopper said:
Could have sworn I had seen a stunt plane taking on a car somewhere before.

Yeah, I have seen an almost identical race on one of the motoring progs.
Vaguely think it may have been against a jump jet.

I only watch it for VBH :D anyway

whatsthis

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020 Screambox
MAC OSX & windowzz 98SE
Gemini
1664 on tap
My Location
13°E
This and top gear are now rubbish. I used to record them and fast forward the boring bits before realising there was nothing left to watch. They seem obsessed with screwing the arse off a family saloon to see if it can beat a porsche or a jet plane. What's the point ?

I watch Turbo on french TV and german car programs. They talk to the viewers as if their educated motorists and not just kids who want to go joyriding after a bottle of alcopops.

Tubo can review a new porsche 911 without screwing it around a track, it is so popular that it is on a saturday night (peek viewing time). They have a great formula which I am sure would work over here.

Who wants to see how fast stig can drive a Nissan micro around a race track ?

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish, dvd players and recorders; a freeview box, broadband, VCRs, four TVs, mobiles, pcs, a mac, Ipod, digital cameras...the lot!
My Location
North Tyneside
Ah, seems Fifth Gear's gonna be put into neutral while Richard recovers. By the way, I had a dream about that big fella who co-hosts; hims with the curly hair and big face.

In the dream, he was outside a pub in London collecting money for Richard, and I remember giving him the last £4 in my pocket and I had to walk home, coz I didn't have the train fare.

Funny dream. I had a load of dreams last night, I don't normally have any.

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
I thought you lived in Tyneside?

4quid in train fare, from London to your place - Uuummm, might get you out of Kings Cross Station, but that's about it ..:-rofl2

IMHO, anything with Clarkson in it - is just a shout-out-loud nightmare. :cool:

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish, dvd players and recorders; a freeview box, broadband, VCRs, four TVs, mobiles, pcs, a mac, Ipod, digital cameras...the lot!
My Location
North Tyneside
I do live in Tyneside, but there's no sense of distance in dreams. It's like TV and movies, you can be in a street in Dorset, walk round the corner and you're in Yorkshire. :D

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
Well I watched it again this week. Seemed better (sic).

Still get the feeling a few thousand has been shaved off their budget.

Talking, opinion, competitions, no in-person Tiff or the Beard Guy.

I swear the same fat bastard in the diner from the first episode was there - at the same table - in this weeks outing: their not hiring extras are they?

It really has a feel that the 'driving' talent did all their items, took their money and pissed off, and VBH and this (numbnut) newcomer were left to do the links (in a day).

Watch out for bearded fat bastard (grey T-Shirt) closest table (ish) to camera.

I bet he'll be there next week, LOL.