Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digital
Philips MEO box
65cm Fortec Star dish
Twin Fortec Star LNB
My Location
UK
Thanks to everyone here who helped me fix my Hispasat problem over the past few days. However............

.....there's more!

Through my new Portuguese MEO box I am only receiving the FTA channels and my subscription ones aren't working. The signal strength is OK and the box appears to be functioning as it should. I also know that the card is activated.

If I were to slightly adjust the LNB could it make a difference? The block in the Portugal Telecom shop in Madeira said the signal had to be spot on. Maybe the pay channels need ultra fine-tuning?

Any suggestions are most welcome.
Thank you. :)

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
mrtomato said:
If I were to slightly adjust the LNB could it make a difference? The block in the Portugal Telecom shop in Madeira said the signal had to be spot on. Maybe the pay channels need ultra fine-tuning?

Any suggestions are most welcome.
Thank you. :)

I have been away for a few days so forgive me if I am not fully conversant with the facts, but if the signal strengths and quality of the pay channels are as good as the FTA channels then the answer has to be no, what are the signal strengths of the pay channels BTW.

mrtomato

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digital
Philips MEO box
65cm Fortec Star dish
Twin Fortec Star LNB
My Location
UK
Hi - thanks for replying.
The signal strengths are fine. 65 percent - probably about the best I can get.
I'm clutching at straws to be honest. I'm increasingly sure that the fault lies with the Portuguese customer service rather than with the box. A broken or damaged box surely wouldn't display any channels. The MEO box is also a Philips, so the quality isn't bad.

At present I am only seeing the FTA channels that the MEO box has programmed - TV Galicia, Euronews, Record TV, TV Monde - nothing to write home about!! The 'scrambled' subscription channels don't show up despite the customer service people assuring me that my card is activated and the subscription is in place. Some people in the Portuguese section of this forum have said that activation an be a haphazard process. Maybe patience is the best policy.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
mrtomato said:
Some people in the Portuguese section of this forum have said that activation an be a haphazard process. Maybe patience is the best policy.

I assume you must just leave the card in it, of course I must ask the question, are you putting the card in the correct way up?

mrtomato

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digital
Philips MEO box
65cm Fortec Star dish
Twin Fortec Star LNB
My Location
UK
Yeah - the card is in correctly. Everything is correct - I know the satellite is fine. Just now I plugged in my old SL65 to check and all the FTA stuff scanned.

I can make some schoolboy errors at the best of times, but this time I know 100% that everything is in place. That's what frustrates me. This whole venture has already cost me a new dish and LNB. I don't want to entertain the thought of having to send a 'faulty' box back to Portugal, for them to take 2 montsh to decide if it's bust or not and in the meantime I'm paying a subscription. Life's not fair sometimes!! And it's my birthday tomorrow!!