Fireworks night

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Still going strong here in Scotland not as many 'bomb' house shakers so far.

A lot of money up in smoke....

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Died out here, was very active between seven and eight O'clock. :)

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Heard one distant one go off early evening. Theresan advantage of living in the middle of nowhere! :D

I love fireworks - the louder the better

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
I have very strong views on this which makes me very unpopular at work where we sell them. I do not care what anyone says those 'fireworks' that are available nowadays are not fireworks, they are munitions that have the explosive power to remove limbs as happened in Chorley last year when a teenager lost his arm. They should not be allowed to be sold to the general public and should be sold to licensed display companies only.

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
Probably a bit late now, but, I was going to watch 'V for Vendetta' again - just so I could see the Houses of Parliament being blown up.

Why did I vote get a life? Simple. There is no way fireworks will ever be banned - just like here in Germany - and they are only around for a short (controlled) period. Mind, when users have access to them, they generally behave like morons.

We go further here in Berlin. Its quite a fad to buy rounds of amo for a starter pistol and fire them off - consecutively. A gun - with or without bullets - scares the living shit out of me; especially, when a full round is fired-off in 12 seconds.

So if you Brits get het-up about fireworks [read the poll?] - come to Europe for New Years. Should get you crapping your pants.

Ze germans hold 'em, throw 'em, stuff 'em down some place and some - much like the Dutchies did in Amsterdam when I lived there. Meh, Europeans on New Years.

I think Guy Fawkes Night (fireworks night, WTF, LOL) in the UK might probably be one of those few ocassions where kids actually behave themselves.

Meanwhile in Berlin, I stay indoors until about 02.00hrs - then go out on New Year's day. Should be fun this year - VAT goes up 3%. ,-))

[edit: we called it Bonfire Night in Bradford] :-))

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
Right out of wikipedia - not my words.

Traditional rhymes
The night is closely associated with the popular rhyme:
Remember remember the 5th of November, The Gunpowder, Treason and Plot, I know of no reason why the gunpowder treason should ever be forgot. The full rhyme, rarely used, continues:
Guy Fawkes, Guy Fawkes, 'twas his intent to blow up the King and the Parliament. Three score barrels of powder below, Poor old England to overthrow: By God's providence he was catch'd With a dark lantern and burning match. Holloa boys, holloa boys, make the bells ring. Holloa boys, holloa boys, God save the King! Hip hip hoorah! The following verses, though originally part of the rhyme, are usually left out of modern day recitations for the inflammatory anti-Catholic remarks:
A penny loaf to feed the Pope. A farthing o' cheese to choke him. A pint of beer to rinse it down. A faggot of sticks to burn him. Burn him in a tub of tar. Burn him like a blazing star. Burn his body from his head. Then we'll say ol' Pope is dead. Hip hip hoorah! Hip hip hoorah!

OK, I'll forget any comments on the Hijab today then ;)

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
We have had them going off for about a week round here. Every night is firework night.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I have no objection to fireworks when limited to two or three nights a year, but in this area it has become the fashion to use them on birthdays, Christenings, pay days, the end of Coronation Street, making a cup of tea, etc, etc.

The only thing that came of the restrictions on sale a few years back, is that the fireworks seem to have got much bigger, like Topper says, not so much fireworks as munitions. Now this is fine if restricted to say three or four occasions per year, but I hear them most weekends in the Winter, this must be very annoying for some pet owners, I know it is for me and I don't have any pets.

The most aggravating fireworks are the aerial bombs, the decibel level on these when set off in built up areas is huge and the noise produced goes way beyond the human hearing range. Again, these are great when we receive a limited predicted exposure to them and are part of a controlled firework party, but the random use of them in the alley behind our house is not much fun for the adjacent neighbours.

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S, VU+ Solo2, 1.1m Dish, Moteck SG-2100A DISEQC Motor
My Location
Rochdale
sorry i hate them too... the law should state 1 weekend only a year!!

if the kids round here want to clean the shit and piss up, my 2 dogs do every year they can.... shivering wrecks they are :(

round here they start in October and go right through to January... no im not kidding either Grrrrr

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, my sister has two little Yorkshire terriers and when these aerial bombs go off, they have fits of shaking for hours afterwards and yes, pee on the floor, the ultrasonic noise made by these must be horrendous for animals with acute hearing.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
I like fireworks displays, but when it's a bunch of (extremely stupid) kids p***ing about with them setting them off in your back street or outside your house a month before the 5th November, they end up getting on my nerves to the point where if I ever came accross a kid with a load of fireworks I'd stick one up his back end and set it off just to see how he likes fireworks after experiencing that... :mad:

And how the hell do these kids get the fireworks in the firstplace??? Are shop owners or their employees blind??? Can't they see that they are kids??? Or is it the parents giving them to their kids not realising that one mistake and their kid could be dead or seriously injured?? Complete idiots... 'O'-red

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
There's an air base around here, and they're not too keen on local people firing explosive things up into the sky - so there's a local bylaw that fireworks can only be set off by a licensed person. It costs £500 to get a licence, and even then there are only certain times when fireworks can be set off. As a result only the fanciest hotel in the area has is allowed to use them (and when they do, it's quite spectacular).

I think this works quite well, when there is a display it's dramatic and we can be reasonable sure that it's safe.

Still that doesn't stop Morrisons selling fireworks at this time of year :-ohcrap , I think the air base must just have a week off as there were quite a few fireworks going off last night.

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
Not sure why it takes nearly a week for this story to get out - however -

Man injured by launching firework from his bottom

A man has suffered severe internal injuries after trying to launch a powerful firework from his bottom on bonfire night, it emerged today.

It was thought that the 22-year-old was trying to copy a scene from the 2002 film Jackass: The Movie, which has long been condemned by safety campaigners and blamed for inspiring dangerous pranks.

The man is reported to have got down on all fours, lowered his trousers and fixed a Black Cat Thunderbolt rocket to himself in front of a group of friends at the end of a firework display in the Monkwearmouth area of Sunderland on Sunday.

The man, whose injuries include a scorched colon, is still in hospital.

Safety experts were incredulous. A spokesman for the Firework Association said he had never heard of an incident like it in 45 years. He added: "This sort of thing is beyond belief.

Black Cat Thunderbolt sounds dangerous enough to me.

Full Story Guardian

allan238

Reaction score
My Location
west of england
Like most of you I feel for the animals, at the same time
I fear for myself. Even though I am an ex-serviceman and
no stranger to explosions, I do find them quite frightening at my age.
Allan.