First time motorised buyer - on a budget - advice needed

bigup

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Penta 85 dish, TM2600 motor, T&K brackets, inverto ultra black twin lnb, vu+ duo receiver
My Location
Lancashire
Hi guys

im after a motorised setup for home, i dont need the receiver as i already have one so just need the dish kit

ive been doing lots of reading on this forum and others and ive just confused my self more.

im mainly after 13e, 19.2e and 1w (if possible) and other sats that will show 3pm footy!

i already have a sky dish for 28.2e which is staying.

im trying to find places that sell the kits so i can save on postage.

ive found one from a forum sponsor, the kit includes:

Complete 80cm motorised satellite dish pack. High quality ORBITAL 80cm offset solid steel build dish - supplied with J stand wall mount, INVERTO BLACK PREMIUM 0.2DB SINGLE LNB, and 20m satellite cable (supplied with 4 F-connectors) with weatherproofing tape, plus Technomate TM2600 high-performance DiSEqC 1.2/USALS motor.

price is £95 + postage which i think its pretty good

i know some dont like the orbital dish and prefer triax, buy how bad is the orbital? i might see if they can swap the inverto premium to a black ultra lnb as that is favored too.

is the above setup ok for a beginner?

turning the table around, if i was to go for a triax td88 what wall mount would i need to buy?

im located in manchester. Thanks

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Well if you are proposing to watch 3pm Football, that's almost certainly going to involve at least one Subscription, so could you tell us your intentions - otherwise we have a "how long is a piece of string" puzzle.

Even with a Sub, available packages are either unreliable (eg Tring) or require very large dishes eg Abu Dhabi Sports.

bigup

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Penta 85 dish, TM2600 motor, T&K brackets, inverto ultra black twin lnb, vu+ duo receiver
My Location
Lancashire
Tivù said:
Well if you are proposing to watch 3pm Football, that's almost certainly going to involve at least one Subscription, so could you tell us your intentions - otherwise we have a "how long is a piece of string" puzzle.

Even with a Sub, available packages are either unreliable (eg Tring) or require very large dishes eg Abu Dhabi Sports.

good point, didnt factor in the subs for the channels. I think i just want to get the dish setup first and il sort out the subs later on.

just need to know what sats i can get with a 80cm dish (as i dont want one bigger then that) and if the orbital is an OK dish to use?

Thanks

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Well I have an Orbital 80cm so am biased, but it is perfectly adequate for general viewing across the arc eg some Beams of 42E, all of 28E, some Beams of 23.5E, all of 19E, some TPs on 16E, all of 13E, some Beams on 7E, 4.8E. 1W, all of 5W, some 8W, 12.5, 15W, 22W all of 30W and a few other odds and sods.

However, it won't be big enough even for reliable reception of Tring on 16E. For packages elsewhere you are looking at BIG dishes which you aren't realistically going to be able to motorise: Normally folk decide specifically what package they want then design the system around that.

3pm Football is not easy.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
A Fracarro Penta 85cm would suit for pretty much most of the sats or a Gibertini 1m if you want to go bigger. Both dishes perform extremely well and ideal for motorising.

bigup

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Lancashire

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
If it truly is facing no more than 10 or 15 degrees from South, then 12" should be ok -------------- assuming you are referring to a motorised installation: The motor itself will effectively increase the stand off.

Of course, you will need to mount the dish low enough so as not to interfere with the guttering (Unless you also use a longish pole and get the dish above the guttering).

You'd be better off putting all these subsidiary questions in your own Thread so Members can see the whole story rather than finding bits and pieces all over the Forum :)

Edit: ^^^^^ Now done

bigup

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Lancashire
thanks guys

ok so ive decided on an inverto single ultra lnb which i have purchased.

also purchased wf100 cabling, wf100 f-types, tape and brick busters

now just need to think about the dish/mount/motor. i keep reading that the elevation on the triax can be a pain and many people are avoiding this dish because of that so in 2 minds now about it.

ive had a look at them penta 85 and it looks like the forum sponsor who used to sell them do not have them on their site anymore and googling it only shows a couple of online shops selling them, any pointers to where you guys are buying these from? are they still being made?

as for the motor, i think im going to go with a Dark motor all geared or tm2600 - any idea which is better?

Thanks again guys

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Don't know much about the Dark Motor, but you won't go wrong with a TM2600.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
The FR Penta also has a dish elevation scale which is accurate, would certainly make it a tad easier for a first timer when setting up as a starting point, [various threads regarding dish elevation markings here and in the dish set up sections].

If you've tried all the SatsUK sponsors, google Martin Turner Direct /MTD.

bigup

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Lancashire
satelliteman said:
The FR Penta also has a dish elevation scale which is accurate, would certainly make it a tad easier for a first timer when setting up as a starting point, [various threads regarding dish elevation markings here and in the dish set up sections].

If you've tried all the SatsUK sponsors, google Martin Turner Direct /MTD.

thanks mate

ive emailed a few places asking if they stock the penta 85 so just waiting on replies before i decide where to buy it from, obviously the cheaper the better.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Obviously indeed!

bigup

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Lancashire
my next question is regarding the positioning of the sat dish

heres a pic taken from google maps of the front of the house:

Moderation
: Link removed. See Post #15

the front is near enough south facing and im a bit stumped on where to fit the penta 85 motorised setup.

ignore the the 2 dishes on the right as they are both gone now. my main concern is wind protection and easy access. that dish on the right was a nightmare to fit and adjust due to the slanted roof.

i was thinking of moving the current sky dish to the right hand side wall where you can see the dish static mounted and install the penta where the sky dish is currently at.

Running a cable into the lounge below would be easy and the dish is easy accessible.

but how would it be for wind protection?

or any other ideas much appreciated

Thanks

Attachments

• housepic.png
    housepic.png
    416 KB · Views: 72

Rick

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fibo 1.2m HH, Wavefield T90. AzBox HD Premium, Vu+ Duo
My Location
Blackburn, Lancs
Id choose the TM2600 over the dark motor every time. I've never had an issue with a TM motor, but have had a couple of issues with the Dark Motor's

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
bigup said:

Moderation: Link removed. See Post #15

the front is near enough south facing and im a bit stumped on where to fit the penta 85 motorised setup.

ignore the the 2 dishes on the right as they are both gone now. my main concern is wind protection and easy access. that dish on the right was a nightmare to fit and adjust due to the slanted roof.

i was thinking of moving the current sky dish to the right hand side wall where you can see the dish static mounted and install the penta where the sky dish is currently at.

Running a cable into the lounge below would be easy and the dish is easy accessible.

Thanks

First of all, I commend you to make use of Dishpointer: There's a link to it at the top of the page.

Secondly, if you put the Penta where the Sky dish is, it will be vulnerable to wind from behind as it would be exposed past the left hand wall.

For best arc tracking, relative shelter and moderately easy access, I suggest putting it on the wall just to the left of the Alarm Box.

Then you can leave the Sky dish where it is.

PS: We prefer you to upload pics directly to our servers rather than by URL Linking. Find the Go Advanced button and scroll down to Manage Attachments :)

Done for you this time :)

bigup

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Lancashire
thanks mate

yes should of mentioned ive used dishpointer and it shows anywhere on the front of the house is fine.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Ok, good: I haven't used it on your behalf, so did wonder whether that right hand bit of wall would be a problem for Satellites at the Eastern end of the arc.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
bigup said:

Moderation
: Link removed. See Post #15

Thanks

Install the new dish where the minidish is. 85cm dishes do not look nice smack in the middle of the property. I'm sure [as the dish is solid and with a good installation] it won't be an issue with wind.

bigup

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Lancashire
satelliteman said:
Install the new dish where the minidish is. 85cm dishes do not look nice smack in the middle of the property. I'm sure [as the dish is solid and with a good installation] it won't be an issue with wind.

thanks for the info mate, i was hoping someone would give the all clear for that spot on the wall.

will be using 12" T&K mount with pole from systemsat so i hope its going to be strong enough

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
In addition, given the shallow roof height, you could also install the Penta on the rear with a TK / mast arrangement. If it was my house or installation I'd do just that. Maybe feed the cable through the loft and down :)