FIVE in Greece

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Good morning all. Here's a poser for you. I live in Greece and since early last year I believe it was FIVE was no longer available by punching in'105' or selecting from the TV guide. I had to add it and now get it through 'other channels'. No problem with this. My neighbour down the road also has to do this.
Now then! On a nearby campsite there are two couples, one lives in France and the other in the UK. Both of them can access FIVE by the conventional method. Can someone explain why this is so. I know its no bother to go to 'other channels' but I find it strange that some boxes work and some don't.
Any offers?:confused

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Well the fact that you mention 105 suggests (although you don't actually say so) that you are referring to the use of a Sky Digibox?

If so, it is the case that there are both Encrypted and FTA versions of Five transmitted from 28E:

For EPG slot 105, Sky boxes are looking for an Encrypted version, so a Viewing Card is required.

In the absence of a Viewing Card, or for those using Freesat Receivers or generic FTA boxes, the FTA version of Five can be found on 10773 H 22000 5/6.

BUT, that FTA version is transmitted from Astra 2D so is often not an easy catch in fringe areas. If you are also able to get BBC 1,2,3,4 etc. then you will be able to get Five. If not, you won't. {I see, upon re-reading, that you do get it}

The answer to why some boxes and not others is down to the presence and validity (or otherwise) of a Viewing Card. Although no Subscription is required for Five, it is nevertheless Scrambled in relation to BSkyB 105 .

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Easy:

They are probably accessing a different C5 advertising region to you. Most English cards are mapped to the Freesat version which is carried in the clear on Astra 2D. Cards issued from London, parts of Wales N Ireland, and Scotland are carried on Astra 2B which is easier to get in Greece.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
If the 105 isn't physically there, i.e. the epg jumps from 104 to 106, it'll be because they have a viewing card of some kind in their digiboxes or are not using digiboxes, and you have no card in your digibox.

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Thanks for all your ideas. We all have viewing cards so that is not the answer. The regional thing sounds feasible but don't all the cards come from the same place? Or does it depend where the activation is done from (obviously through a third person for those of us living outside the UK)
And yes, FIVE does show on the EPG at 105 so thats why I was puzzled.
Thanks again.

ralphmagno

Reaction score
My Location
naples italy
hello. i saw this and wanted to reply.
i have had many cards jump from 104 skip 105 and go to 106.

the free view card which had ch 5 on 105 skiped this.
sky has had problems activating cards .
if you are in greece the astra 2 d will not be received unless you have a big dish.

try a hard boot by unpluging the mains and push and hold backup wile pluging in the mains.
holding the backup button in for about 20 seconds untill 3 or 4 lights all come on at the same time.
there shoud be a message saying the boot will take 10 min or so.

the box after about 10 min will shut doiwn and go to standby.
this may work.
after that if this does not work try to unplug the box from the mains and wait 1 min and turn the box back on for another reboot.
you do have a new white card and if 106 and 107 and the others are working ok??

also you can load in the others itv.e-4 ch 4 five,fiver ,fiver us and a few others as well

hope this helps
keep us informed
ralph

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Thanks Ralph.
I have done the hard reboot but it made no difference. As I do not have a subscription I can't get 106 (Sky 1) or 107 (Sky 2) I have the new white card for the free channels. The other people I mention have the exact same card and a Sky digibox but can press 105 and get FIVE. If I press 105 it comes up as 'No satellite signal is being received' but if I access it through 'other channels' there it is, clear as a bell.
Does anyone else have the same problem?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
600 said:
Thanks for all your ideas. We all have viewing cards so that is not the answer. The regional thing sounds feasible but don't all the cards come from the same place? Or does it depend where the activation is done from (obviously through a third person for those of us living outside the UK)
And yes, FIVE does show on the EPG at 105 so thats why I was puzzled.
Thanks again.

Depends where the card is registered to. Someone in Greece with a card registered in Birmingham will be mapped to the free to air 2D transmission. Someone with a card registered in London or Scotland will get their C5 mapped off Astra 2B - far easier catch in Greece!

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Yes, but what Postcode have these other people got registered? It is that which determines which Five variant is mapped to 105 ...... so while the Cards may well be physically identical, their permissions are probably not.

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
OK That makes sense now. Both my neighbour and I have cards registered in the Midlands which therefore would not allow us to 'see' 105.
Thanks for the super fast replies from everyone.