Fixed dish set-up query

gazza90210

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
not yet
My Location
North London
Hi all – I am about to get a satellite package but I need a bit of help with some of the terms:

##########################
Package No 8 ( Spanish TV Channels )

Satellite Dish: 1 M (with bracket??)

Universal LNB: Hispasat

Installation: Fixed satellite installation

Choice of:
Free to air receiver £295
2 common interface slots receiver £345

1 – what is a bracket, and do I need one (I plan to attach my satellite to the front of my house)?
2 – what is a ‘Universal LNB’?
3 – what is the difference between a free to air receiver and a ‘2 common interface slots’ receiver?

Is there anything else I should ask the install company? I really don’t know much about the process (yet)

Also – does anyone have a reliable installer in the North London area?

Thanks!

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Have a shop around for your equipment, you don't need a 1m dish for Hispasat, 80cm would be big enough, the bracket is what attaches the dish to the wall, a universal LNB is the standard for most European reception. Get a receiver with a common Interface slot, something like the Technomate TM1500. Have a look at our advertisers by clicking on the sad looking baby in my signature. :)

A static dish is not difficult to set up if you are half way reasonable at DIY, we have coached many members through the installation. But if you want to looik for an installer, post in our installer wanted section.

gazza90210

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
not yet
My Location
North London
wow thanks for that!

yes i think i will get the equipment myself. would love to install it myself, but time is slightly scarce at the moment and i may well have to get it installed but maybe not

also - would a 1m channel get me _more_ spanish channels than an 80cm? or is it roughly the same?

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
gazza90210 said:
Hi all – I am about to get a satellite package but I need a bit of help with some of the terms:

Package No 8 ( Spanish TV Channels )

Satellite Dish: 1 M (with bracket??)

Universal LNB: Hispasat

Installation: Fixed satellite installation

Choice of:
Free to air receiver £295
2 common interface slots receiver £345

1 – what is a bracket, and do I need one (I plan to attach my satellite to the front of my house)?
2 – what is a ‘Universal LNB’?
3 – what is the difference between a free to air receiver and a ‘2 common interface slots’ receiver?

Is there anything else I should ask the install company? I really don’t know much about the process (yet)

Also – does anyone have a reliable installer in the North London area?

Thanks!

I recommend to use LNB with dual ouputs and run two cables to your apartment at the time of installation so that you can watch one channel on your TV and record another quite independently.
At the begining you will buy just one receiver but with the price of receivers dropping down all the time, you can buy later on a second one for the recording.
If you do it later on, it will cost you a lot more, especially if you are not going to do it yourself.
Or you can buy a receiver with dual tuners right from the start. Might it be cheaper than two receivers.