Fixed dish w/ multiple LNBs - hardware and setup recommendation

chelica2

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London SE16
Hi, everyone!

I have spent better part of this past weekend researching number of treads on several forums to get some basic satellite understanding.

I bought a subscription (and receiver) for Total TV, which is on Eutelsat W2 (16E). While at it, I might as well receive free-to-air programs from few other satellites (19.2E, 13E, 28.2E). I understand that it is possible to receive 3 (or 4) satellites on 90cm dish, even if they are separated by only 3 deg . I'd like to watch in two rooms independently. Dish-to-TV distance is about 10m.

Could someone please recommend the necessary hardware (apart from receiver) and set-up ? I'm thinking of TD88 to start with.

BTW, is there any way to independently watch subscription channels (Total TV) in separate rooms without 2 cards ?

Thanks in advance!

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Firstly does that receiver support multiple satellites? If not you are restricted to transmissions on 16E.

If you want to watch channels at the same time in two locations you will need a second receiver and almost certainly a second subscription card :D

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Possible on a Triax multi LNb bracket but you'll need to mod it to allow 3 deg spacing. Take a look at the Inverto Multiconnect LNb bracket also.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Total TV needs the biggest dish you can get away with, I fear a TD88 won't quite cut the mustard. The other satellites are childs play though. If you had a TD110, then then you should be able to do it, though 28E may require a slight mod of the multibracket to make it possible.

I would suggest putting an Inverto balck ultra on 16E on the centre, and then using Inverto Black pros for 13E and 19E and ANY universal lnb for 28E. Use the multiblock how it is not supposed to be used, clamp one of the LNB holders to the ultra. It should work, and very well too.

I suggest the TD110, because it allows the LNBs to be further apart, and it gives adequate signal on some weaker Total TV tps, and it allows you to use inexpensive yet still sensitive narrow(ish) LNBs to get 13,19, and 16E.

Total TV uses NDS, so I doubt very much whether some sort of card splitter would work.

excollier

Bikes, Booze, Rock & Blues
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TD 64 and Humax Foxsat HDR with Raydon's custom firmware
My Location
County Donegal - furthest outpost of the EUSSR
Try this mod with a TD110.
The first pic shows how to get the close spacing, the second one shows how I spaced for 9e,13e,19.2e and 28.2e.
The dish was centred on 16e, so there is space there.

Good luck

chelica2

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London SE16
Firstly, thank you all!

I'm limited by planning regulation to 100cm dish. So, I might trim down the number of satellites. Am iI right in saying that there would be 2 cables for each LNB running from the dish to my flat, if I wanted to watch independently in two rooms.

Robbo, excollier,

what kind of a multibracket did you mean ?

BTW, I have received a quote of GBP 440+VAT for equipment, cables and installation.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You could try a dish like the Visiosat Big Bisat, great for four or more satellite. For two receivers, you need two four way DiSEqC switches, four twin LNBs and two cables running into the building, one for each receiver.

Not sure about the price, what is exactly being quoted for?

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
I was referring to the standard Triax 20 degree multiblock bracket.

Yes, prices needs to be clarified on exactly what is included.

ralphmagno

Reaction score
My Location
naples italy
hello,
you will need to change all the lnbs on the dish.
all 4 will have to be dual output for both locations.
then you will need 2 multiswitches 4 input and 1 out.
then both of your receivers has to have 4 disec tones.
A,B,C,D.
The dish will have to be big enough to receive this as well in your area.
you will need a field strength meter to do all this.
just some information
ralph

excollier

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
£440+VAT?
That seems a very high price to me.
£300 (including vat) would be plenty in my view, (that's on the high side and that allows for 100m of Webro WF100), so it should be less.
But that's just my view.

Ghostleader

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm motorised Inverto dish with Dark Motor full metal gears, Xtrend 9500HD, Amiko Alien 2+, Amiko Alien 8900, Moded Zone 2 dish with multi LNB goodness! 50 inch full HD LCD and loads of other stuff! lol
My Location
Glasgow,ish!
I set up a Technomate 97cm mesh dish with a multi lnb bracket for 13E,16E,19E & 28E the spacing between the LNB's was tight with the LNB holders only about 1mm from each other for the main three 13E,16E & 19E. I used a modded orbital brand bracket as it allows prime focus. Over 4000 T.V. channels with this setup, I was well jealous as the wife will only let me have a 80cm dish, Kill Joy!!:-Nooo

chelica2

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London SE16
To clarify the price quote:

- 'European equipment' as multiple installers refer to it ( I guess it's 90-100cm dish, multi-LNB bracket, LNBs, switches) £185 +VAT
- Labour £130 +VAT (2 hours)
- Rest (although I'm not sure what that means apart from Cables) £125+ VAT

This was actually the best quote. High end of the range was £700

excollier

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Very expensive.
It's a pity I live in Ireland.
Triax TD110 dish, Triax Multiblock lnb Holder, 4x Inverto Twin LNBs, wall bracket 50mm diameter, 8x coachbolts and plugs, 2x 4 way diseqc switches, 20 x crimp on F plugs, 100m Webro WF100 cable, £200 the lot, including VAT
Fitting £90-£100 ( time consuming but not complicated) the only tricky bit is squeezing in 16e at the focus, but it can be overcome.
I guess London must be really expensive to do business.
Check out the "Members who do Installations" section there must be someone in your area cheaper than that.
£75/hour is insane, must be an MP moonlighting at that rate.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
I think about £300 is OK too, excluding receivers and that £440 is a bit much. Though the total TV receivers are hideous at working with other satellites,other channels have to be added one by one manually. I fitted a dish for one a few months back for a customer, and recently added an LNB and Diseqc switch for 28E.

chelica2

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London SE16
Folks, thank you all for your feedback!