Top Tip Floor mount

chavo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu uno, VU Duo2, sky dish, 2 zone 2 dishes for 19.2 and 23.5. Satlink meter, rover STCeu meter. Tripod with a dish for messing around.
My Location
North West England
The frontier official stats say it can get a 45 degree arc. In reality though the sky lnb sits up at r19 and the 1w sits at about L10. Think that the satellite at 0 gets the full use of the dish and as you move further along the rail the amount of dish that's illuminated by the satellite is reduced. To get 1w here you need at least a 90cm dish. Don't get me wrong it was a great dish, I loved the instant switching and the fact I could just keep adding to the rail for additional satellites. God it was heavy, I can't imagine having it on the side of the house. Next house I huy I will be buying with satellite systems in mind,

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Some SAT-related hardware.
My Location
N-E from Riga
Main difference between usual offset antenna and toroidal is that first one has focal point but second one has focal line. So, every LNB located on any place of the focal line is still in focus and gets maximum signal. OK, there is some drop down at the very edges of the original LNB-rail, but it is still good enough to get decent signal. There is my empirical diagram of performance of T90 depending to where on the rail LNB is located. For example, if LNB is between -12 and +12 than dish performs more or less similar to 90cm dish. In your case, if you chose 9*E as your central satellite, than 0,8*W and 19,2*E will be receivable at performance of 90cm dish.
Yes, T90 is heavier than simple 90cm offset, but it does not mean it could not be securely fixed on the wall. And it's wind survivability is much better than another tin-made antennas have.
And, lastly, T90 is great dish to play with, always fun. I have this fun more than 10 years :rolleyes:

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_174 Feb. 15 11.02.jpg
    ScreenHunter_174 Feb. 15 11.02.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 26

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
near Geneva, Haute-Savoie, France
The frontier official stats say it can get a 45 degree arc. In reality though the sky lnb sits up at r19 and the 1w sits at about L10. Think that the satellite at 0 gets the full use of the dish and as you move further along the rail the amount of dish that's illuminated by the satellite is reduced. To get 1w here you need at least a 90cm dish. Don't get me wrong it was a great dish, I loved the instant switching and the fact I could just keep adding to the rail for additional satellites. God it was heavy, I can't imagine having it on the side of the house.
Mine is on the side of the house, doesn't move at all :) I've put in additional cable stays and it doesn't seem to matter too much that I sheared off one of the bolts on the baseplate when I was installing it.

IMG_3516.JPG IMG_3514.JPG

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Nice, I like the arc range. But.... There's something about the WF that I don't like. I think it's its weird shape and the massive sub reflector.

Maybe I am just weird!