Footprints...offset dish/prime focus dish?

D

dockerslund

When you look on footprint maps, they tell you that you for example need a 1,2 meter dish to watch something.
When they write 1,2 meter, do they then mean 1,2 meter PRIME FOCUS dish or a 1,2 meter OFFSET dish?
Is an offset dish better than a prime focus one?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Not enough difference to worry about. There can be more difference between different makes and types of construction of dishes.

Rolf

D

dockerslund

Is a 1,2 meter Channelmaster dish with a MTI Manhattan 0,6 LNB good stuff?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, you probably wont get better at the price. :)

Rolf

D

dockerslund

Thanx!
Will get all the stuff (dish + receiver etc.) tomorrow.
Hopefully it works!!!

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Well youve had a day to buy and fit it

Hows it running ?

D

dockerslund

It works!!!
But we (me and my Dad) had a lot of trouble with it.
First of all...the wall we had to attach the T&K onto, is facing East. And the T&K is only 18". So it wasn't possible to turn the dish all the way, so it pointed south. Fortunately my Dad is a welter, and we went down to a garage. Cutted each of the T&K's into 2 pieces. Extended them with some metal, welted it, so the T&K now is 29".
And it works perfect, although the weather hasn't been bad yet, so I don't know what it will turn out like, when it rains.
But apparently the receiver was supposed to get every transponder from the satellites, but that doesn't work.
I had to input several transponders...but what the h*ll. It still works :-ohmy)
So yes, I'm very happy these days.