for big dishs experts(460cm):need advice and some answers

andyandy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dish lovers
My Location
Egypt
hi all
i am a big fan for big dishs , i am offered to buy a 400-460cm dish with a good bargin , but i want to know what is the label of this dish first and more info about it and your opinion just to know what i am getting into , as i saw very good experets here in the forum .
i attached pics of it .
the owner is not giving me any info
so i want your advice
- what is the label and the country of its origin (if u r familiar with it)?
- what is the size of it ? i know its hard to answer that but maybe you saw something like it before , i could not measure it myself as i dont have a ladder (lol) but from my experiance its (i think ) 460cm
- where the hell does we put the motor ? does it move from the first place ?
- is it in a good condition ? : i saw the surface if the dish and moved my hands arround , did not feel any bumps or up and downs , no rust , maybe need to be repainted and polished again , can be as good as new .
- it comes in two pieces , and i dont like dishes in 4 parts , so does having only 2 parts is not a bad thing ? (as when disambling the dish and moving it then moving it up my roof (with a machine) then building it again putting the parts together ... all that affects it , it gives poor results)
buttom line , is it a good one guyz ? shall i go for it (buy it and live under it)?
i am sorry for the too many questions

Likvid

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
The dish seems beaten, check for warpage before you buy it.

A warped dish is a useless dish.

Can't help you with what manufacturer it is, never seen this dish before.

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
From the scale of the photos, that is never a 400cm dish.
Any comments ?

L.:)

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Likvid said:
The dish seems beaten, check for warpage before you buy it.

A warped dish is a useless dish.

Not if you carefully straighten it. One of mine had been jumped on by some kids and bent double.. An hour and 2 cans of beer laters worth of tlc (and a 2lb hammer and some big molegrips) and I had it straightened up enough to get 26E on it!. Its now in daily use on 5E.:D

http://www.digitalsat.co.uk/huntingarabsat.html

has some pics on it of the battered dish.

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
Lancelot said:
From the scale of the photos, that is never a 400cm dish.
Any comments ?

was thinking the same thing. looks like a 2.4m dish at least

andyandy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dish lovers
My Location
Egypt
no guys , i know 240 cm and 300 , as we have them alot here in the Middle East , this is much bigger , come on , look at the mount and the big black thing , does this thing used for a ordinary small 240 ! and check the attached pics too , compare the joint one with the tiny ones , but bare in mind that the other dishes are not tiny , its 160cm , it just looks tiny comparing to this alien :-rofl2
i say 400cm at least , as i could not reach to measure it (and i had a meter though) , needs a ladder :D
dish is not curved though , i looked stright at its ends round and round , no curve at the endges .
attached pic from the side (image 13), you can see its stright , no curves , (and even there is it , could be strightened and be good as new)
i never saw this polar mount before ! (*image 17) does anyone have any idea where is the motor is fixed? or it doesnt move !!! could be used as fixed on Astra2, with extra lnb for 13,19.2E ... or maybe 1W and extra LNB for 7w,13E ....
still any ideas about the manufacture ?!! maybe Nasa is missing one :-rofl2 or is it from Mars !!!

Orthoclipse

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Various
Does not look like a 4.6M to me either :) Unless you mean the circumference?

Attached pic is a 4.5M.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
From a distant memory, the DH Antenna group (US) would make reflectors that were in two pieces.

What was the dish working on with the previous owner ? If it was used for C band only, it may not be good enough for Ku band

Tonito

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Illusion M2 M3 e M6.
My Location
Portugal
if those dishes next to it are 1,60 then clearly the dish has less than 3,20m as it's less than double the size of those other dishes... I'd say perhaps between 2,50 and 3m.

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
I'm still to be convinced that that is a 15ft antenna.

andyandy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dish lovers
My Location
Egypt
@Channel Hopper : DH is not a great manufacture i think , worked on one of its dishs and had a moderate results , can you give me the site for DH ? i had it but i lost it , i am trying to know what is the manufacture and specifications , if you are sure its for C Band then i dont want anything to do with it , i already had experiance with C band dishes .

@ Orthoclipse , okay u have a point , its not that big , perhaps its 360 cm , i am attaching a pic for a 300cm i had (4 parts , very poor results , the C Band i was talking about)
maybe i should take a picture myself standing beside it LOL

will go again and check maybe i can measure it with a ling wood stick !
so other than the size of it , any more recomendations guys what shall i do? does it look good ? with some work it can be as new .

Raasay

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Arion AF-8500MCI, 1.2m dish,
USALS H-H, 2db dual output LNB, SkyStar2
My Location
Southern Europe
Looking at image8, if we assume the little dish on the right is 60cm, that puts the wall at about 80cm. It seems that the distance from the edge of the dish to the mounting bolts is about the same, and about another 80cm from there to the centre, so 4x80 = 3.20m.

I'd be interested to know what it was used for too - apparently it points north, and downwards, and it doesn't have an LNB/F...

Channel Master and Andrew both do two-piece reflectors, but they don't look like this, and the polar mounts are usually slightly higher quality than spot-welded angle iron...

IS IT a satellite dish??? :cool:

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
andyandy said:
@Channel Hopper : DH is not a great manufacture i think , worked on one of its dishs and had a moderate results , can you give me the site for DH ? i had it but i lost it , i am trying to know what is the manufacture and specifications , if you are sure its for C Band then i dont want anything to do with it , i already had experiance with C band dishes.

http://www.dhsatellite.com

andyandy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dish lovers
My Location
Egypt
thank you channel hopper , yes DH have a very poor quality in my opinion
the dishes i would presume are for C Band , perhaps an old models as well , they are not out of bussiness though as their web indicates !
i am still trying to get in contact with the owner to get more info , will let you know , but i am pretty sure its 360cm , but will find a way to measure it .
you said its a C Band dish , are you sure ? coz if it is , I DONT WANT IT
any more recommendations guys ? shall i run for my life :D