Forgot password

james999

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox cardsharing
My Location
Bahrain
Hi everyone,
I have Dreambox 500 which I use to watchpay and non-pay tv channels. I want to get to the root, but unfortunately, I can not get there as i changed the passeord in the past and I just cant remember it now. I would like to change that password back to DREAMBOX, but without affecting any of the files there. Can anyone help?

Maddas69

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7020-S, 500S, Gemini 2.6, 2.9, 3.2, Evocamd/NewCS
My Location
Nordic
james999 said:
Hi everyone,
I have Dreambox 500 which I use to watchpay and non-pay tv channels. I want to get to the root, but unfortunately, I can not get there as i changed the passeord in the past and I just cant remember it now. I would like to change that password back to DREAMBOX, but without affecting any of the files there. Can anyone help?

What image?

smokingdragon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
D500s Maxview Crank Up Dish
My Location
S Wales
Hi

Reflash with a new image will definetely reset the password

Simon

james999

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox cardsharing
My Location
Bahrain
Thanks Maddas69 and smokingdragon for your reply. I am using gemini and have a NEWCAMD.CONF file that I need to replace, to cater for changes at the server. So my question is actually: How to get into the folder system on my dreambox without destroying any of the files there?

dig deep

Prince of Birthdays
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dream7020 and AZ Elite and a few DM800
My Location
Sweden
U can try tuxbox, find passwrd file and edit it

When this happens, it is a reminder Always make a backup copy of the box, keep it safe on a computer or disc

james999

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox cardsharing
My Location
Bahrain
How can I get to the Tuxbox folder if I can not remember the password to get to the root folder in the first place!

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
If you didn't make a backup before you changed the password then the easiset way is to reflash and remember the password next time. You didn't save the new password in your FTP program?

Or don't change it unless you are CSing.

Maddas69

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Nordic
james999 said:
How can I get to the Tuxbox folder if I can not remember the password to get to the root folder in the first place!!!!!!!!!!

No need to shout mate, we are all trying to help you here. I can`t find any way in Gemini to reset your password, neither through web interface nor through the image itself (from the remote). Have surfed a few forums and it doesn`t seem like anyone else have had your problem, and in any case most problem solutions these days are going towards reflashing.

But you could try four things:

1) 0-modem cable and connect to the box through RS-232 interface. Not sure how as I don`t have a cable, but it could be worth a search on the Web to see what you can do through that interface.

2) Connect a USB stick to the box, install an image on that stick through FlashWizard, boot the image and see if there is some way you can get into the flash memory of the box where your original installation is installed.

3) Connect to the box through DCC, and keep trying all the passwords you can think of until you find the correct one.

4) Find a Linux guru. He might have a program or other way to help you.

Sorry I can`t help you more. Gemini 2.00 for 7025 can change passords from the menu, as can old Hydra images, but I can`t find anything for any Gemini version on DM500.

Next time, at least back up your CAM and Server files (f.i. Newcamd.conf and Newcs.xml)

Maddas69

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Nordic
mhku said:
If you didn't make a backup before you changed the password then the easiset way is to reflash and remember the password next time. You didn't save the new password in your FTP program?

Or don't change it unless you are CSing.

Disagree! ALWAYS change your password on a Dreambox! But change it to something you can remember (especially when CSing). Good habit to have when it comes to Dreamboxing :-)

dig deep

Prince of Birthdays
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Sweden
Tuxbox my friend is found by pressing blue on remote

If not there, then download it to the box

No need for no password for this

Then starttuxbox find password file , press 4 for edit and delete the password

Maddas69

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Nordic
dig deep said:
Tuxbox my friend is found by pressing blue on remote

If not there, then download it to the box

No need for no password for this

Then starttuxbox find password file , press 4 for edit and delete the password

Jupp, this works. Just checked it, not sure which file contains the password, but at least you get into the file-system.

Blue Button - AddOns - Download and install - Plugins - TuxCom1.13 (on my box).

Good luck in finding the password.

dig deep

Prince of Birthdays
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Sweden
Depending on what Box U have the pass is found in diff, places

U just look around and U find it

in etc or var or in bin

james999

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox cardsharing
My Location
Bahrain
Dear Maddas69:
I thank you and other colleagues for their replies, but when it comes to downloading the tuxcom using the remote I got lost at the point where I reached the plugins window!!
How to get to my computer (running under windows xp) desktop and download it from there using on the dbx remote??
Can you kindly explain it step by step to a newbea
Again thanks much for your reply

OldBen

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax TD110 with multi LNB 28.5E, 23.5E, 19E, 13E Inverto Black Ultra's (Black Premium on 28.5) into multiswitch. VU+ Duo. Emitor Satlook Lite meter.(Retired: Technomate 1500CI+, Moteck DG2100 DisEqC Motor, Metronic 85cm Clear Dish, Invacom 0.3db LNB
My Location
UK
Maddas69 said:
1) 0-modem cable and connect to the box through RS-232 interface. Not sure how as I don`t have a cable, but it could be worth a search on the Web to see what you can do through that interface.

4) Find a Linux guru. He might have a program or other way to help you.

If you still have this problem... depending on how the RS232 port is set, if its a proper console you can use the command "init 1". This will bring up linux to single user root mode with a root prompt, then use "passwd" to set the root password. Unfortunatly if its just a terminal connection this will not help... most likely...

A word of warning, I don't have a dreambox, so I can't test this, but I did use this sucessfully the other week on a linux install where I had a bad root password after some keyboard mapping problems. If you can't run init as a non root user, you may need to edit the loader program used on the dreambox to start at init level 1, if you don't know what this is... then I would just flash the box and be done with it.

If your desperate to find a fix without re-flash this might help...