Fortec Star 4200 - lots of German channels, no BBC or ITV

phantomnl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star
My Location
Scotland
We have a Fortec Star 4200, 60cm dish, purchased from Maplin. We've installed it and receive many (hundreds?) channels, most of them German, some French and some Spanish, plus BBC World and CNN and Al Jazeera. But no BBC1, or ITV, Film4 or any other "normal" channels.

Are we doing something wrong?

Our signal intensity is 90%, signal quality is 70%. We live in the heart of Scotland (Loch Tay).

Any help would be most appreciated!

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You are on the wrong satellite, move the dish 9 degrees to the East and down a couple of degrees for Astra 28.2 East, you are on 19.2 East. :)

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Well done for finding something - some folks spend days without finding the satellites. As Rolf says you are on 19E instead of 28E.A slight tweak of the dish eastwards and down a tad will bring in the desired channels

phantomnl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star
My Location
Scotland
Hi guys,

thanks ever so much, that worked! We live in an area where you can't get a tv signal without using satellite so we've lived without tv so far. Now we've suddenly got the joys of almost 2000 English tv channels :) most are rubbish, but I'm so glad to see BBC and ITV working! Thanks again, that advice was brilliant. I hope it'll be of use to others with the same problem, too.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Well done. easy when you know how isnt it? A bit of friendly advice when you get stuck soon sorts the problem out :)

You may find some of the channels stop working over a few weeks. Dont panic - there are regular technical changes to the pids (programme indentification parameters) on 28E Some boxes dont track these changes very well so just delete any channels that have stopped working and rescan those frequencies.

phantomnl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star
My Location
Scotland
One more question... is it correct that we're not getting Channel 4, Channel 5 and related channels (film 4, E4 etc)? Or should we be changing any settings? Mind you, what we've got now is pretty good already. Just wondering if we should be getting Channel 4 etc, too. We're novices as you can tell :)

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Yup you should be getting all the C4 family of channels. You will also get C5, but not 5US / 5er *- these are still scrambled for the time being.

Heres an easy to use channel and frequency list:

_http://www.flysat.com/28east.php

The green ones are the scrambled ones.

phantomnl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star
My Location
Scotland
ok, got that list. But what do we do with it? Oh dear... these numbers don't mean much to me ;) thanks again for all your help, I'm impressed with what the internet can do for you!

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Print it out, go through the channel list and cross out the ones you have. Then if there are any frequencies missing you can add them in and get the channels :)

phantomnl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star
My Location
Scotland
Ah, I realised I had to do this in the TP listings ("search" option for those who have the same problem). It worked! :) hurrah, we now have all the channels. Thanks again!