nickH

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star Innovation Receiver
80cm dish
(Maplin HD kit with motor)
My Location
South West Birminham
I have connected up the digital audio connection (optical) to my Yamaha receiver. On BBC HD there is a good half second delay in the resulting sound (Dolby Digital) making it too off-putting to be be usable. I don't have this problem with other audio connections and there is no noticeable delay on other channels.

Is this likely to be a firmware problem?

Anyone know how to find the firmware version on this receiver?

cjthebrave

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Basic 60cm Dish
Fortec Star Innovation
500GB ext HDD on USB
My Location
Staffordshire
Hi nickH,
If you have the manual for the Fortec the System Information menu referred to on page 34 should show you the Firmware Version.
My receiver is runinng Loader Version 1.5.0 and Firmware Version 1.1.3 (Released 07/01/09)
If you are going to update your firmware, be sure that you have the latest bootloader installed first. All downloads are available from
_http://www.fortecstar.com/downloads/
Make sure you read all the instructions and DISCLAIMERS first!!
I have my Digital Audio output into my Sony receiver. I have a marginal couple of milliseconds delay - not too much of a problem - however, I find that the optical audio information coming from the Innovation is either breaking up or very weak, since every now and then my amp suddenly loses the signal (something which doesn't happen on any other input from other devices). The display on the front of the amp normally shows the input type and what channels are in use, this suddenly switches over to simply L + R and is followed by silence.

Anyone with any thoughts / reports of similar?

nickH

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star Innovation Receiver
80cm dish
(Maplin HD kit with motor)
My Location
South West Birminham
I found the firmware version ( Yes I RTFM). Having uploaded the latest version the delay is now acceptable. However I happened to see a BBC HD testcard which seemed to be doing some sort of test regarding audio and visual delays so maybe they did something too? I will post a question about these.

cjthebrave

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Basic 60cm Dish
Fortec Star Innovation
500GB ext HDD on USB
My Location
Staffordshire
Yeah nick - that was a bar progressing L > R along a scale and another 'pumping' up and down on the top left (like a hammer) with a click sound and flashing lines as it hits the midway line.
Seems to me you should hear the click sound when the progressing horizontal bar is within the tolerance on the scale somewhere between -05. and 1.0ms if I recall correctly.
A click after the mid point tolerance range indicates too much audio delay and a click before the mid point tolerance range indicates too much video delay.
A full explanation of this and other test cards can be found here - _http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/2008/12/a_christmas_present_from_the_h.html
Hope this helps

CJ

Skullface

Reaction score
nickH said:
I have connected up the digital audio connection (optical) to my Yamaha receiver. On BBC HD there is a good half second delay in the resulting sound (Dolby Digital) making it too off-putting to be be usable.

Oddly HD channels are fine for me, but all the SD channels the audio is early, and a long way early.

Skullface

Reaction score
nickH said:
I found the firmware version ( Yes I RTFM). Having uploaded the latest version the delay is now acceptable. However I happened to see a BBC HD testcard which seemed to be doing some sort of test regarding audio and visual delays so maybe they did something too? I will post a question about these.

Same here, i've just installed 113 and lip sync is now acceptable, HD seems slightly worse (were perfect at firmware 110, as per test card) but SD channels are much better.