Fortec Star kit from Maplin - Alignment

cjhancock

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Standard Definition Kit (as sold by Maplin)
My Location
North East England
I bought a cheap Fortec Star kit from Maplin. When I come to do the Elevation alignment, the markings show 30, 60 and 90. But I want to set it to 22.1 degrees for Astra from NE England - even if I could set the angle, this would be pointing too much downwards. The assembly looks right so what's going on?

H

hoppo1

What size did you buy?
What receiver?
A little more info and it will be easier to help you:)

cjhancock

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North East England
Sorry, hoppo1. I'm at work and don't have the info to hand. It's a 60cm elliptical dish. The dish backplate is offset along the long axis, so it needs to be mounted with the long axis vertical. As I said in the previous post the Elevation scale shows a range from 30 to 90, though I'm not sure they are degrees as such - 30 to 90 on the bracket swept an angle of about 45 degrees. From memory, if I had the dish in a vertical plane the reading would have been in the 30 to 40 range. Setting it to 22.1 degrees (the figure for my location in NE England) would have the dish tilted downwards. Setting it to what looks like the right angle for Astra would put the scale to about 50. So I'm confused. Any help gratefully received.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Hi, it is an offset dish, and when the dish looks like its pointing straight ahead, it is really looking up into the sky by say 20 to 30 degrees (The exact figure is dish dependent)

So for your location for Astra 2, the dish probably would look like it was pointing down a bit yes.

My advice, especially so on a cheap dish like that, is to completely ignore the scale, and set the dish initially so it points down a bit, and then set the elevation adjustment accurately by aligning it to the satellite.

Robbo:)

cjhancock

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North East England
Robbo71 - thanks for the reply. I take your point about the cheap dish - I really only bought the kit for the fun of doing a DIY job. But I would have expected it to get me somewhere close to the right elevation. I'm a bit lost with your comment "set the elevation adjustment accurately by aligning it to the satellite". What would be the process? Set the dish slightly down, set the azimuth, then plug in a Satellite Finder (which I have) and work from there? I'd have thought that if my "slightly down" was inaccurate, I wouldn't get anything to work with.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
:)

First off, the dish needs to be mounted so that it has a good view of the sky due south and for 28E, east by about 28 degrees. (see where your neighbours Sky dishes are pointing) . Actually, try that first, if you have a view of someones Sky dish, point it the same direction.

Ok, you start with the dish pointing down a bit, say 5 deg,
it doesn't matter too much, this is just your starting point.

Then using the receiver say, pick a transponder from the 28E Astra 2 list (10773H for example) and monitor the signal quality.

Then slowly swing the dish from one side to other until you get a signal, if you don't, tweak the dish elevation a bit and repeat, until you do. Eventually by trying various elevations and swinging the dish, you should eventually get a signal of some sort.

When you have got the best signal, see if you can watch BBC1. If not, scan the transponder and see what channels you get, they will probably be foreign ones.

Do a search on kingofsat, compare the channel name and frequency with what you have, to find out what satellite you just found. Then move dish accordingly.

The satellites are in an arc.

http://www.satellites.co.uk/satelli...t-motorised-systems/117335-satellite-arc.html

If using a cheap satellite finder, the principle is the same, except it will only tell you signal level, just try and get the max signal level, then use the receiver to scan to see what satellite it is.

BTW, I mostly ignore the numbers on the dish scale completely and just set the dish face by eye initially, the scale is good for just keeping a track of how far you have moved the elevation for each sweep of the dish. No more than 1 or 2 degrees at a time for the elevation adjustment.

Robbo:)

cjhancock

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North East England
Thanks Robbo71. I'll try this tonight if I get chance. I only unpacked the Satellite Kit at 5pm last night and spent the evening drilling and assembling - I haven't even turned the receiver on yet. So be on hand tomorrow for my next set of questions ;)

cjhancock

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North East England
Looking at neighbours' dishes, they all seem to be smaller and have the long axis of the ellipse horizontal whereas mine is vertical. No matter - I set the elevation to "pointing down a bit" as per Robbo71's advice, and set the azimuth by eye based on _www.dishpointer.com (am I allowed to mention that site?).

At first I tried without a Satellite Finder as I didn't have an extra coax cable and was getting nowhere. So I went to the shop and got a couple of f-connectors, cut off a piece of my main coax cable to make a stub cable, put the Satellite Finder in-line and immediately it started buzzing. Had I had a dodgy cable-end that got fixed when I was fiddling with the cables?

A few minor adjustments seemed to maximise the signal and - hey presto - there was BBC1, BBC2, etc.! Was I just lucky? I think so...

Anyway, some preset channels don't work (ITV3, for example) whilst others aren't in the preset list (Channel 4, which I believe is now FTA).

What do I do in these cases?

> Do I need to adjust the dish and/or LNB to get ITV3, or could it have changed from what the presets say?

> And do I rescan the satellite to pick up Channel 4 then save it to my presets?

One more question: do I adjust the LNB skew based on the signal strength alone, or is it dependent on what channel I have selected at the time, and so I should just set it to what dishpointer suggest (11.8 deg anticlockwise looking from behind the dish). And what is that 11.8 offset from? When the connector is pointing vertically downwards?

Thanks in advance.

cjhancock

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North East England
Well, I had another go at fine tuning the dish alignment and LNB skew.

The dish is pretty much in a vertical plane - the reading on the alignment scale is garbage.

I could get a very strong signal on the Satellite Meter but no channel displayed - then I rotated the LNB and got a strong picture straight away. The skew angle seemed to bear no correlation to the value suggested by dishpointer, but I'm sure dishpointer is right - there's no scale on the LNB and it's just my assumption that 0 degrees is where the connector points vertically downward.

Having done a full scan, the receiver says I have around 600 channels. Some are duplicates, some are regional variants of BBC and ITV channels, some show a blank screen, some seem to be different to what the channel name suggests - lots more for me to investigate tonight by cross-checking against KingofSat or LyngSat. One question: I thought I was full-scanning one satellite (Astra 28.2E) but I also get loads of EuroBird 1 28.5 channels. I don't really want all the EuroBird stuff - do I have to painstakingly delete or skip them, or can I delete everything and scan for just Astra only?

Anyway, despite some misdirection from the scales on the equipment, I managed to get a cheap kit from Maplins set up in next to no time. I needed help (thanks Robbo71!) but if I can do it, anyone can do it!

cjhancock

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North East England
Thanks RolfW.

I'm not sure if it's the same LNB model (I'm at work at the moment) but mine's certainly a Fortec Star single LNB.

In my case, perhaps because I'm not in a fringe area, the solution was simple: set the receiver to some "normal" channel (I think I chose ITV1) twist the LNB one way and the screen is blank; twist it the other way and I get a picture! It didn't seem very sensitive to the precise angle at all.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Well, done, you have got it:)

If you have missing channels, you need to make sure that the receiver has their transponders stored and rescan them. Lyngsat has all the details.

Unless you really like painstakingly going through deleting channels etc by all means do it if you wish. I never bother myself and just shove all the channels I want at the top and leave the rest to fester.:-rofl2 With only one satellite available, you won't have any channel memory problems. With multisatellite reception, it is often necessary to clear out some off the guff though to free up memory.

cjhancock

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North East England
Thanks Robbo71.

With children in the house, I'd prefer to remove some of the channels altogether.

But if they're just going to come back on the next scan, it's going to be tedious so I was looking for a simple solution that would disregard EuroBird 1 altogether.

Trouble is that channels that might have some reasonable output during the day then send out, what shall I say, "unsuitable" stuff after 9pm.

I'll check my transponder list against LyngSat tonight.

guest poster

registered
Reaction score
You can lock iffy channels and the next time you re scan they should stay locked (and you just have to check any new ones). You don't need to re-scan that much or if you know of a new channel or change you can look it up on lyngsat.com and just scan that channel's tp rather a full re-scan.