Fortec Star on C Band

mikefal

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini 1m dish,BU LNB, TBS6925 PC Card
70W - 75E
My Location
East Sussex Coast,United Kingdom
This could be one for our regulars over the pond as I have the opportunity to obtain a 2.4M Fortec Star dish AKA Jonsa or other badged brands, the petalised reflector on the cheap looking turret base.

This came about by chance at a recent garden party when I spied it standing redundant in the corner of the garden and after a brief conversation with the owner I doubt he'll expect any more than a drink and someone to remove it. I'm aware of the reputation these dishes have but I was surprised how solid the reflector felt, I did in fact try a discrete amount of 'persuasion' on the top that had no effect. It is in good condition, seemingly straight and with no corroded mount fittings or bolts.

As I've been considering the possibility of sourcing a new 2.4m mesh dish for experiments on C-Band I'm just looking for any real world reviews or horror stories on it, possibly even a comparison on the performance of each dish. My initial impression of the FS was it's worth spending some time adapting it to fit a polar mount.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
I know @Costactc has one and is using it with good success.

Costactc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m channel master mesh-24" vonweise actuator-ps1 x2 lnbf(L)-pansat ap3500 positioner-x2 premium III-vu+solo2.
2.4m fortec solid-24" vonweise actuator-esx 241 lnbf(c)-vbox 7 positioner- dm800.
1.2m fortec-24"sj actuator-invacom snh-031--tm 5402 m3.
My Location
Canada
It's too bad that it isn't equipped with a polar mount as my 2.4m Fortec. I use it mainly for circular c band sats on the Atlantic side of the arc and have had success with it. I do, occasionally, take out the dielectric plate and scan linear c band sats on the American side. I've had it up for 3 years now and it's starting to show signs of rust but it's quite solid. Prime focus ku band worked well but I do much prefer an offset dish for that band.

mikefal

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini 1m dish,BU LNB, TBS6925 PC Card
70W - 75E
My Location
East Sussex Coast,United Kingdom
Thank you for the information Costactc and I'm interested to learn that yours is complete with a polar mount. There are, or were a few suppliers of these cheap dishes over here but to the best of my knowledge none of them offered a polar mount with either the 1.8 or 2.4m.

I know this comparison isn't a direct one but comparing its performance against the larger mesh dish, how far down is the Fortec against the CM? As yours has been installed for three years and still in use am I right in thinking it's not quite as flimsy as other reports have suggested?

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
for receiving C band , almost anything mesh or solid will have similar performance if the dish is straight and without dents. The issues of loss accumulate the higher up the frequency, Ku band needs a better formed reflector than C band, Ka band requires the best parabola available.

Costactc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m channel master mesh-24" vonweise actuator-ps1 x2 lnbf(L)-pansat ap3500 positioner-x2 premium III-vu+solo2.
2.4m fortec solid-24" vonweise actuator-esx 241 lnbf(c)-vbox 7 positioner- dm800.
My Location
Canada
Thank you for the information Costactc and I'm interested to learn that yours is complete with a polar mount. There are, or were a few suppliers of these cheap dishes over here but to the best of my knowledge none of them offered a polar mount with either the 1.8 or 2.4m.

I know this comparison isn't a direct one but comparing its performance against the larger mesh dish, how far down is the Fortec against the CM? As yours has been installed for three years and still in use am I right in thinking it's not quite as flimsy as other reports have suggested?

Considering the the dish is only 2.4m in comparison to my 3m CM its performance is excellent. It isn't flimsy at all. Many times of the year, especially in Winter, we have wind in excess of 80-100 km and it has held up well. The only thing I see is that a bit of rust is starting to appear which I will take care of if I decide to keep it- I have thought of installing another 3m mesh dish in its spot. Here are a couple of pics of the polar mount:

P1010109.JPG P1010110.JPG

WHATAGOAL1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2.4, 1.8channelmaster, tm5402, tech1500, db920
My Location
Leic
If I replaced 1.8 channelmaster with a 2.4 fortec would I gain signal strength, and get more channels?

Costactc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Canada
Personally I wouldn't swap out a Fortec for a Channel Master. My 1.2m Channel Master has scanned in many channels I had never seen on some quite difficult sats and my 1.2m Fortec doesn't pick those up. JMO.

WHATAGOAL1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Leic
Personally I wouldn't swap out a Fortec for a Channel Master. My 1.2m Channel Master has scanned in many channels I had never seen on some quite difficult sats and my 1.2m Fortec doesn't pick those up. JMO.
yes, i thought a same size channelmaster would beat a same size fortec, but would a 2.4 fortec beat a smaller 1.8 channelmaster?

Costactc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Canada
If the CM is aligned spot on, I think it would probably outperform the 2.4m Fortec, JMO. There is absolutely no comparison in quality as CM is by far superior.

amdade

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.5m C Band, 1.2m Channel Master offset KU, Technomate TM-6902
My Location
Norfolk, UK
Just ordered one guys, will try on the supplied base first then perhaps onto my IRTE polar mount if all goes well. Will be C band only... :-)

amdade

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Norfolk, UK
An update from me related to the 2.4m fortec star antenna.

Arrived well packed, but I was quite surprised with the weight of the package, could only just move it by myself.

Assembly fairly easy as long as you use an upturned bucket to support the petals at the centre, and take your time building it. I put the support assembly onto the reflector face down, then lifted whole thing onto the concrete pad.
Seems to be designed for C band, feed support arms come with holes to connect direct to a scalar ring. The unit came with an a KU LNB adaptor plate which I have not used.

Plus points :

Very low cost £195 inc delivery
surprisingly good build quality reflector
Decent results from 55W where it is pointed at the moment

Needs improvement :-)

Nuts were not all well made I had 5 that were not threaded properly.
No washers included
Anchor bolts not easy to use, not quite long enough probably will have to replace.
Az El base not the best, the Az part is not really adjustable a case of move the whole thing around not easy
The base is going to rust, in fact already can see some issues around the bottom where I have been moving it. Hamerite needed.
Wish could buy the polar mount to go with it
No useful instructions

So the results.

Have C1W-PLL on there at the moment, Technomate TM6902 :

220 channels scanned…

4004 V IMC Worldcup 2014 signal 87, quality 68, works well, no luck with Sportsmax 1 or 2 on same TP

3846 V Fox + others, signal 89 quality 63, working, thanks to all for software upgrade :-)

Not tried other satellites as yet may try for 58W next, not done yet because wanted the IMC channel and how difficult it is to move.
Next step to find a polar mount for it….
Can upload some pics if of interest. Any questions fire away… :-)

lovelyperson

Dreamer
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2.0m PF dish
1.8m PF Famaval
1.8m PF Marrafa
1.4m Tecatel offset
1.2m dish + Stab HH120
TBS 5925 USB
Octagon SF8008 4k Twin
GTMedia V8 UHD
GTMedia GTcombos x 2
Goldmaster SR525 HD
Sat-illimitè F300 hyper
62.0ºE - 63.0ºW
My Location
Alicante, España
Nice write up amdade.....doing well.

Please upload the pics, the more the merrier for us here, thanks. :D

Re: 4004 V you are probably aware that the SportsMax channels are encrypted in PowerVu.

Indeed sounds really good for that money....look forward to hearing more. :-applause

amdade

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Norfolk, UK
Thanks for the feedback lovelyperson not sure what Im allowed to say about the PowerVU, if you have a technomate machine there is some interesting software available on the www :-)

Also should have said it is HUGE, which of course I should have realised :-)

rust IMG_4368.JPG back IMG_4365.JPG front IMG_4359.JPG

WHATAGOAL1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Leic
just showa how temperamental this sat hobby can be, I have 1.8 cm and can only pick just more than half your amount of channels, but do get the 2 sportsmax with imc CHANNEL.

amdade

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Norfolk, UK
Also tried man handling around to 43W some signal on my handheld sat meter, but no lock on any TP.

Had success with 58W also but now back parked on 55W :) Survived the various storms so far :)