Fortec Star Passion Antenna Setup Help

AllanI

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star Passion HD
My Location
South Manchester
My first post so hello to you satellite experts out there. I have just bought a second hand but unused Maplin Fortec Star Passion HD setup.
I have set up the antenna for Astra 28.2 using a Maplin signal meter and believe that it is correctly aligned. However in the on screen setup menu with Astra 2A as the selected satellite no signal is shown being recieved. What am I doing wrong ?
Also looking at the listings it appears that Astra2D is the one to go for but 2D does not appear in the satellite list for selection.
I have looked for similar questions but couldn't find anything.
Regards
Allan

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Hi Allan, welcome to the forum.

Astra 2A in the satellite list includes all Astra satellites at 28E, together with Eurobird at 28.5E. Provided you have definitely set your dish to that position (and the box is definitely a good'un) you should have no problem receiving anything from those satellites.

Llew

AllanI

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star Passion HD
My Location
South Manchester
Thanks for the Astra explanation Llew. Why the no signal indication on the screen when the signal meter is indicating a strong signal? Am I choosing an incorrect transponder setting?
Allan

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
It may be possible you have aligned the dish to 19.2e instead of 28e.

Ratchet

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402(M2), TBS 6983, Sky+ HD, Stab USALS HH100, Faval 1M, Triax TD54, Hauppauge HD PVR
My Location
Falkirk
AllanI said:
Thanks for the Astra explanation Llew. Why the no signal indication on the screen when the signal meter is indicating a strong signal? Am I choosing an incorrect transponder setting?
Allan

As satelliteman says you're probably aligned to the wrong sat. Best thing to do is perform a factory reset then select English > UK > All Channels. At the Antenna Setup screen select Astra 19.2 E then press the white button for Advanced Scan. Leave it on the default transponder 10788 V and press the yellow button to scan.

If the resulting scan comes back with a bunch of channels called 'TAQUILLA' then you are on 19.2 E

If the scan returns a channel called 'STV 3 HD' then you are on 23.5 E

If the scan returns various BBC 1 regions then you are on 28.2 E

If you get no signal on this transponder then the box maybe faulty or you are pointing somewhere other than the above mentioned sats (possibly Hotbird).

AllanI

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star Passion HD
My Location
South Manchester
Thanks to you guys for the replies.
Now I understand a bit more about how the setup and scanning works I had another go and great stuff I've got channels and pictures. I am going to move the antenna to a different location on the building which should be easier to setup and get better line of sight. I am sure I'll be back with more questions especially if I decide to go motorised !

Thanks
Allan

mick2me

Reaction score
Website
www.nottstalgia.com
My Satellite Setup
'Fortec Star Passion' (& a dead SL65) One of them big Woks on the outside, and a thingy that moves it about a bit.
My Location
Nottingham
Now I'm totally confused?

I just followed the above instructions. With the dish set in the same position.

I set the passion to Astra 19, then Astra 23, Then Asta 28, set it to scan each satellite in turn and got channels from all three satellites on the scans without the dish moving.

Then I thought I would Scan Hotbird 13e And am getting channels from that as well!

Disq and Usals was disabled for each satellite by the factory reset. But just to confirm the dish was not moving, I got the ladder out to check. Yep the dish is still on the same point.

I'm not complaining mind, but What gives?

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
mick2me said:

The satellites share the same or close enough transponder frequencies. What differentiates them is which way the dish points.

Eg you could have a minidish pointed at 28E, but set the receiver to a Nilesat 7W transponder, you would get a signal, but it wouldn't be from Nilesat, it would be from 28E.

Ratchet

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402(M2), TBS 6983, Sky+ HD, Stab USALS HH100, Faval 1M, Triax TD54, Hauppauge HD PVR
My Location
Falkirk
mick2me said:

I just followed the above instructions. With the dish set in the same position.

I set the passion to Astra 19, then Astra 23, Then Asta 28, set it to scan each satellite in turn and got channels from all three satellites on the scans without the dish moving.

Then I thought I would Scan Hotbird 13e And am getting channels from that as well!

Disq and Usals was disabled for each satellite by the factory reset. But just to confirm the dish was not moving, I got the ladder out to check. Yep the dish is still on the same point.

Satellites accross the arc use the same or similar frequencies and parameters. Assuming you have one lnb and your dish is static then you will be getting signals from one satellite only regardless of which satellite location you are using to scan. For example, if you are pointing to Astra 19.2E but use the antenna settings for Hotbird then you will get results from frequencies that are the same on both birds. The channels will be from the actual sat you are pointing at, not what the receiver tells you.

The guide I posted above was to help the OP confirm which satellite he is actually pointing at.

mick2me

Reaction score
Website
www.nottstalgia.com
My Satellite Setup
'Fortec Star Passion' (& a dead SL65) One of them big Woks on the outside, and a thingy that moves it about a bit.
My Location
Nottingham
Thanks for that Robbo.

I am pretty sure I am pointed at Astra 28e, As I am picking up all the BBC chanels.

Mentioned above is 'Eurobird at 28.5E' at the same location.

This does not appear on my Passion HD setup menu, perhaps needs an upgrade.

(Null modem lead purchased today on ebay)

Ratchet

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Falkirk
mick2me said:
Thanks for that Robbo.

I am pretty sure I am pointed at Astra 28e, As I am picking up all the BBC chanels.

Mentioned above is 'Eurobird at 28.5E' at the same location.

This does not appear on my Passion HD setup menu, perhaps needs an upgrade.

(Null modem lead purchased today on ebay)

Eurobird 1 and the Astra 2 series are close enough in orbit to be considered as 'co-located'. On the Passion HD the transponders for Eurobird 1 are listed under Astra 2 @ 28.2E. There may be a couple of high band frequencies missing in the FSS range (12500 - 12750) but these can be added manually. Check out Lyngsat or Flysat for exact frequencies.

mick2me

Reaction score
Website
www.nottstalgia.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Nottingham
Ratchet said:
Eurobird 1 and the Astra 2 series are close enough in orbit to be considered as 'co-located'. On the Passion HD the transponders for Eurobird 1 are listed under Astra 2 @ 28.2E. There may be a couple of high band frequencies missing in the FSS range (12500 - 12750) but these can be added manually. Check out Lyngsat or Flysat for exact frequencies.

Thank You

Might be mentioed elswhere, but can I add the Freesat settings manually.

Also as mentioned above on factory reset "select English > UK > All Channels." I never get to the 'All Channels' bit

(loader V13 shows on switching on?) Again perhaps firmware update is needed

Ratchet

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Falkirk
mick2me said:
Thank You

Might be mentioed elswhere, but can I add the Freesat settings manually.

Also as mentioned above on factory reset "select English > UK > All Channels." I never get to the 'All Channels' bit

(loader V13 shows on switching on?) Again perhaps firmware update is needed

Yes you really should update to the latest loader (v1.5) and the latest firmware (v1.15 official / v1.18 beta). The multiple setup option was introduced in fw v1.08 so you must be way down level. The easist way to update fw is to put the .dnl files on a USB stick (make sure its formatted to FAT32) and perform the update on boot-up. I take it you aren't getting ITV HD at your current fw level ?

mick2me

Reaction score
Website
www.nottstalgia.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Nottingham
I have downloaded the latest loader and firmware
I have a USB stick, but am not sure if its formatted to Fat32,
but do use it for storing data from the laptop.

Are there any specific instructions for updating firmware and loader?
Done in any order? or will the receiver do it automatically?

thecaretaker

Reaction score
Website
www.thecaretakers.net
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Ultimo, Duo2
85cm Fracarro Penta dish
Inverto BLACK Ultra QUAD
My Location
South East Coast, England
Always update the loader first, then the firmware. The latest loader prevents users updating the box with the incorrect firmware (firmware for another Fortec box).

It's very quick and easy to do. The Fortec Star website provides the latest loaders and firmware with instructions how to update.

Just a tip, it's always best to only put the loader or firmware file you want to update on the USB stick.

mick2me

Reaction score
Website
www.nottstalgia.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Nottingham
Thanks

I managed to update the loader, now shows V15

But the file p_av115_20080724 halts with FAIL at 86%?

mick2me

Reaction score
Website
www.nottstalgia.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Nottingham
Down loded and unzipped the file several times, it now fails at 99%

Uploading via s/w Transfer - System Update

mick2me

Reaction score
Website
www.nottstalgia.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Nottingham
Now completed the firmware update, but only after resetting to factory defaults.
Will this now give me Freesat?

Ratchet

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Falkirk
mick2me said:
Now completed the firmware update, but only after resetting to factory defaults.
Will this now give me Freesat?

You won't get the Freesat EPG, Freesat 7 day guide or any interactive services from Freesat. The only boxes that can do this are official Freesat boxes. You will, however, be able to get all the channnels available to Freesat (plus a lot more besides) as these are broadcast free to air and can be picked up on any FTA box.

The latest firmware comes with a customised channel list for UK / ROI. Tell the box where you are located and it will load a customised Astra 2 / Eurobird channel list for your location. It's not perfect but is a good building block for your channel list.

mick2me

Reaction score
Website
www.nottstalgia.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Nottingham
Yes I have just found this.
Much easier to find channels.
You say this only works on 28e?