Foxsat HD No Signal

jacton

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.9 Famaval dish with Humax Foxsat receiver Spanish TDT receiver
My Location
Algorfa Costa Blanca
Just tried to connect my brand new Humax Foxsat up but cannot get it to work.

I had a Sky box plugged into my TV and have just unplugged the Sat cable and plugged into my new Foxsat and it seems to be stuck on 'searching for the satellite signal'.

I have already had my neighbours Foxsat working with my connection but just to be sure I reconnected the sat aerial cable back into the Sky box and all is working well. But when I then put the same cable into the Foxsat it just stays on searching for the satelite signal

anybody got any advice Please

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Try your box on your neighbours dish. Also maybe try the same postcode that he has used. Also check that there is enough of the central core of the coax sticking out of the connector, about 3mm.

jacton

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Algorfa Costa Blanca
My neighbour and I are on the same sat dish and we have used the same postcode.

I used the same connection last week to see if it all would work before purchasing the Foxsat.

My Sky box is working from the same aerial cable. However I will try lengthening the coax

jacton

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Algorfa Costa Blanca
I can now get channels in non-freesat mode bu as soon as I try freesat it says no sat signal it allows me to search but just stays on the same window 'searching for the satellite signal'.

I am stuck!!!!

G

jacton said:
I can now get channels in non-freesat mode bu as soon as I try freesat it says no sat signal it allows me to search but just stays on the same window 'searching for the satellite signal'.

I am stuck!!!!

It sounds like it is failing to pick up the EPG Data from Eurobird 1 (11428 H 27500 2/3)

In Manual Tune, select that TP and check your Strength and Quality.

The BSkyB EPG comes from Astra 2A North (11778 V 27500 2/3) so, owing to your location, this may explain why a SkyBox works but a Freesat Box in Freesat mode does not.

A bit of Dish twiddling may be required ................... a little jog of a couple of tenths to the East, but not too far that it affects your Astra 2D reception. Tricky.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
11.426 Hor??? Rai :D

Eb1 should be an easy catch on a 1.9M but dish might need slight adjustment :)

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
What is strange though is that the Neighbours Foxsat is working but yours isn't.:confused Unless his tuner is just that marginally more sensitive.

G

satelliteman said:
11.426 Hor??? Rai :D

Eb1 should be an easy catch on a 1.9M but dish might need slight adjustment :)

Ah, whoops!

Surely a chap is allowed the odd transcription error after a long day doing the laundry? O-zzz

Original Post now head-hitted.

G

Robbo said:
What is strange though is that the Neighbours Foxsat is working but yours isn't.:confused Unless his tuner is just that marginally more sensitive.

Or there is cable damage or a discontinuity/joint having an effect at a particular frequency?

Anyway, it's clear he isn't getting the EPG Data, so Freesat mode isn't going to work as yet: But knowledge of what the problem stems from should help get it sorted (I hope .........).

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
No problem Rai :)

Jacton, as mentioned above, have you tried your box on your neighbours dish to see if you get a lock on Eb1 11.426h?

jacton

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Algorfa Costa Blanca
It seems that it was cabling problem. I cut the end of the coax and put a nice new connector on and lo and behold I could get freesat mode.

I have to say I am very impressed with the picture quality although BBC HD was not a great deal better than BBC itself for the Anne Frank Diary programme, however the quality of picture over the Sky box is easily measurable, can't wait to watch some footie

Many thanks to everybody's help, yet again solving problems for us numpties

thanks thanks

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Well done :-righton

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Yes, well done. Dodgy connections or cabling can cause unpredictable effects sometimes.

G

Well done indeed!

Nice to know we're on the ball after the seasonal break U-zzz

crazy_fairy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freesat dish with Foxsat HDR receiver
My Location
Derbyshire
Hi,

We're a bit new to this world of freesat. We've started with a Humax Foxsat HDR receiver and a basic dish from Screwfix.

We've set the dish up to the Astra 28.2E using data supplied from the internet.

According to the setup we've got a signal strength of 85% but 0% quality. We've tried re-making the connections but it's made no difference

Any ideas?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You could be on the wrong satellite, not unusual for a first attempt, did you set it up just using compass and data?

You need to use the meter display on the receiver and then slowly move the dish until both bars show something, for Astra 28.2 in your location, the dish face will be pretty much vertical.

G

It's probably worth pointing out that all systems shows an apparently healthy "Signal Strength" reading provided that the LNB is properly connected and powered up.

This applies even if the Dish is pointing at the ground!

The Foxsat in particular seems unduly generous with this base reading and, to me, what you report suggest you aren't aligned at all.

The Signal Strength reading only becomes of real value once you get close to the correct alignment and it is the upswing which gives the game away. Once that starts happening, the Quality reading becomes key.