PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Having a bit of a problem with my new (to me) Foxsat HDR.

It's only got one LNB, which may have caused the problem.

I had set up some recordings last Wednesday evening as we were going out. I'd chosen them so there was no overlapping of times. Just as we were about to go out at nearly 10 minutes to 8 something came on that I wanted to record for my wife so I hit the record button hoping for an instant record of the last 10 minutes before the scheduled recordings started.

The recording started but instead of showing 8 minutes to record it showed 68 minutes to record. This would possibly clash with what I wanted so I tried to find out how to manually change the length of my instant recording. It's probable that there is a way but I couldn't find it so we went out.

When I came back the 8 minute instant recording was 68 minutes long and the 8:00pm scheduled recording had failed due to a clash with a higher priority.

I watched the 8 minutes and tried to delete it and couldn't, the box then locked up on me. I unplugged it and tried to then delete the zero length failed recoding. Again it siezed up.

Now, when I even try to enter the media section it says "please wait" and the sound and vision continues behind. Then the vision siezes and sound continues. Then, if I haven't given up and unplugged again, it'll eventually stop altogether and reboot itself.

I'm not sure what the next step is. If I do a factory reset will this leave the recordings intact? Will it even do any good?

ALAN 1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
vantage7100ts hd
Humax freesat HDR, Protek 9600ip,Protex 9700HD ip,
STAB 120 HH
1.2 dish 0.1 TM lnb
computer w/vista
My Location
HULL [uk]
If it was me i would do a factory reset some times it works wonders, just try it and see.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Yes, but do I lose the recordings on the hard disk when I do that?

ALAN 1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
vantage7100ts hd
Humax freesat HDR, Protek 9600ip,Protex 9700HD ip,
STAB 120 HH
1.2 dish 0.1 TM lnb
computer w/vista
My Location
HULL [uk]
Try this before you do a factory reset, disconnect HD, turn off connect HD and reboot. try it you never know.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
ALready tried that and no difference so I tried a factory reset.

It still locks up when trying to access the Media section so I don't even know whether there the hard disk is still ok.

Looks like I'll have to wait until Monday to phone Humax Tech Support.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Humax didn't respond to my email so I had to phone them today.

Basically they told me that the hard disk has a corrupted FAT and that I needed to reformat it. I would lose all the recordings doing that of course.

When I told them the full story they offered to exchange the complete box for a new one. I have to provide the original receipt so that might be a small problem!

I asked them what OS the hard disk was formatted in and the told me Linux. I had suspected this given its size and the fact that NTFS is owned by Microsoft.

So, what next? Back in the good old days of DOS I can remember using a disk editor to repair the FAT so that's my first line of attack. At least it might be except for the fact that I don't think that Linux uses FAT, can anyone confirm?

Is it worthwhile hoiking the disk out and plugging it into my external disk adaptor? Should I be using something like the Linux boot disk mentioned in another thread that I started http://www.satellites.co.uk/satellite/computer-discussion/158479-problems-reading-hard-disk.html ? That would surely boot the whole compputer into Linux, is that the right approach? If not, what programs can read a Linux formatted disk?