Foxsat-HDR to Sony Bravia-HDMI-no signal?

nyorks

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax Foxsat HDR
Sony KDL52W5500 LCD TV
Basic Sky Minidish
My Location
Cotswolds-Gloucestershire-UK
Just added a Sony KDL52W5500 LCD TV to my Humax Foxsat-HDR, which has been connected to previous old TV by scart cable. Now I connect using a single HDMI cable, as instructions and get no response on TV. Each device instructions suggests the other may require switching "On", but I can only find a "Control by HDMI" On/Off on the TV and I have tried both. No signal. It all works fine with scart but I want the supposed improved quality of HDMI, especially as I will need 5 metre cables when installed into the wall. Any ideas please, it surely must be a simple solution? Or is it just me that's simple? Many thanks for any help.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Welcome to the forum nyorks

I think you will have to switch the Humax to HDMI output will you not as you were connecting by scart.

nyorks

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax Foxsat HDR
Sony KDL52W5500 LCD TV
Basic Sky Minidish
My Location
Hi Topper, thanks for your suggestion, I am scanning the manual again to see if I can find any HDMI output switch. If not I will start searching the menus. Thanks for your help.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
I didn't have to change anything when I attached my HDR to my TV by HDMI.

One difference between scart and HDMI is that the HDMI doesn't have the equivalent of pin 8 of the scart. This means that simply switching on the HDR will not take over the TV in the same manner as a scart does.

Try changing the input on the TV to whichever HDMI port you're using. The input select button, if it isn't marked "input", has an icon of a rounded square (like looking at a TV) with an arrow going in to it.

nyorks

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax Foxsat HDR
Sony KDL52W5500 LCD TV
Basic Sky Minidish
My Location
Thanks PaulR, I will certainly give it a try, it's just the simple solution I was expecting but I'm a bit tired of it all this evening, so tomorrow's another day, I'll make a fresh start. Thanks

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
PaulR is correct.

The Foxsat does not have a manual HDMI select and your TV/Humax does not seem to mutually auto detect.

I have this problem too and it is easily resolved by select the HDMIx source on your TV.

I found if I left the SCART connection between the Foxsat and TV in place while using HDMI, I got occasional "interference" on screen: Took me ages to establish what was causing it, but removing the redundant SCART connection cured it. The rat's nest of cabling is now somewhat simpler!

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Check the TV manual, and ensure that the HDMI facilty is enabled, I have seen some TVs where this has to be done.

nyorks

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax Foxsat HDR
Sony KDL52W5500 LCD TV
Basic Sky Minidish
My Location
Thank you, Paulr, Topper, Tivu and Robbo.
Success. Yes you were all along the right lines, it was simply an input switching problem. I have never had a television before that did not switch automatically when a device was put on and return to TV when put off. In this situation when the HDMI is selected and showing the Foxsat signal, then both devices are switched off, turning on power to just the TV shows HDMI input still active, hence no picture. Amazing how you buy these expensive highly advanced televisions and some of the technology goes backward. Or perhaps it's not the Sony thats at fault but poor cable design standards? Anyway, many thanks to all who advised me, always good to have experts on hand.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
I don't know about the backwards step, I love HDMI. My Blueray incidently does auto switch the TV onto it, and I can control it using my TV remote.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
HDMI has the facility for a device to take over the TV but it seems to be rarely implemented. Perhaps it's too difficult to program? There's certainly none of the simplicity of a scart cable unfortunately.

nyorks

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax Foxsat HDR
Sony KDL52W5500 LCD TV
Basic Sky Minidish
My Location
Never mind, it's just a minor inconvenience. At least I now know I only have to run the HDMI cable into the wall to carry the Foxsat signal. One less 5M scart cable to worry about. Thanks to all who responded.