Free to view Eurosport with English commentary on Astra

nosher

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Astra
My Location
Somerset
For many years on Analogue I was able to receive Eurosport International via a Pace unit, with English commentators - most famous of all David Duffield - and this continued up until the 30th April 2012 when Analogue was discontinued and Digital became the only source of Astra access. The analogue chanel having the capability of tuning the audio sound frequency to the appropriate language.

I have purchased an FS4000v2 Digital satellite receiver and while some Eurosport channels are scrambled there is a free to view channel (471) but the language is German. There appears to be no way to receive the English commentary even though the box User Guide appears to have the capability of setting the audio language. I have selected English audio but with no effect.

[warning]Moved from Site Access & Membership Problems[/warning]
Question 1: Has free to view Analogue Eurosport International actually been closed down on all platforms?

Question 2: Is it at all possible to receive free to view Digital Eurosport International with English commentary on Astra, if so where?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
nosher said:
Question 1: Has free to view Analogue Eurosport International actually been closed down on all platforms?

Question 2: Is it at all possible to receive free to view Digital Eurosport International with English commentary on Astra, if so where?

1 Yes - it was only ever available on 19E, and all 19E analogues have been closed.

2 No - German only. There may be a jury rig available with video from 19E & audio off 13E, but you would need 2 receivers.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
And a small point, but an important one, Eurosport was Free to Air, not Free to View, this is a phrase covering channels which are encrypted, but a viewing card can be bought for a nominal fee which carries no ongoing monthly subscription.

BRIANBOROO

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace analogue on Astra 19.2E.
Pace digital on 28.2E (Sky)
Laptop
My Location
UK West Midlands
(I *think* this will follow logically on this present thread. )

I previously posted about a possible solution to the problem of digital Eurosport in vision but without English commentry. This solution involves a subscription of about £3/month in the UK to "Eurosport Player" which provides a stream via broadband to my laptop. It delivers British Eurosport, British Eurosport 2, plus 2 or 3 'windfall' feeds additional to the scheduled programmes. This is *British* Eurosport etc, therefore English commentaries. I have it on a month-by-month trial. From the laptop I plug in a cable to my TV. It works!.

My problem is that it ties up my only laptop which I might want/need to use while herself is watching the tennis. I previously posted enquiring about a box of lower capability (and cost!) than a full blown laptop which would bridge the gap. Does anyone know a gadget which I've come across called the ROKU streaming player, for about £50. Described as "No PC needed .Just connect Roku to your TV and wireless (Wi-Fi) network at home, and you’re up and streaming in minutes".

Can anyone advise me, please, if this gadget would allow me to take "Eurosport Player" from my wireless router to my TV .. and give me back my laptop?

I've no connections with ROKU; no axes to grind. It's just that I cut my teeth on "the wirelesss" and black & white 405 line TV, so I'm more than a little bit lost in this 21st Century communication explosion.

Any help welcomed.

Brianboroo