Freesat 4k Recorder, Powerline & TV Pairing

GwentLarry

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freesat
My Location
Wales
More of a warning than a question …

My old Humax Freesat box just died - it, an AppleTV and an HDMI encoder were connected by x3 Powerline adapters to my home network. Everything worked fine with no problems and has done for the last 7 years.

New Freesat 4k Recorder box delivered yesterday. Connected it up and ran through the setup process. Live TV and on demand all working OK. HDMI encoder working, AppleTV working.

Decided to try pairing to my old TV (Sony Bravia), which worked fine with the Humax box although I never managed to pair it to the Humax handset.

The pairing process struck me as rather questionable. Tried the "auto" process, nothing happened so not actually auto. Then tried the manual process having looked up the codes - entered the first Sony code and TV turned off, as is supposed to happen. Then nothing - turned TV on but Freesat box dead and no output. Turned off/on - nothing. Unplugged power cable to box, waited a couple of minutes, plugged power back in. Half the controls on the handset didn't work despite removing batteries but got to settings and did a factory reset. Reconfigured Freesat box, mostly now working except volume control did nothing and no on demand. Couldn't sign in to Freesat account. Checked settings - no longer had a wired network connection. Checked Powerline adapters - all 3 had lost connection to my network. AppleTV and HDMI encoder also not connected to network. Tried pairing adapters back to main router adapter - didn't work. Using a vacant socket near the router, did a reset of all 3 Powerline adapters (hold pairing button down for 15 seconds). Then re-paired each with router Powerline adapter. Back to TV/Freesat box/AppleTV/Encoder and reconnected everything - finally back to wired connections for all 3 devices but volume control still not working on on Freesat remote. Finally discovered on Freesat support pages how to clear the TV pairing which got the hadset volume control working again.

1. Instructions for pairing of Freesat handset to TV need to be much clearer and process preferably needs to be simpler with no possibility of crashinh the Freesat box.

2. Pair the Freesat box handset with your TV at your own risk, especially if it's an older TV.