Freesat and non-freesat box

RedGill

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Just setup for the first time..
My Location
Bridport
This is probable a stupid question, Is there a sat HD box which will allow you to receive Freesat HD and non-freesat. I would like to be able to receive Freesat with 7 day EPG and use a motorised dish to checkout other sats.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Well, certainly the Humax Foxsat HDR fits the bill. And possibly the Foxsat HD as well - Tivu will know as he has both.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Hello!

Yes, the Foxsat does this very well - a little quirky to get familiar with using it ion both modes and of course there are Recording issues to consider, but I have used both the PVR and non-PVR versions quite happily either with a Motor or with a DisEqC switch, always maintaining one Tuner fixed on 28E.

RedGill

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Bridport
With Foxsat HD can you record from the USB I ask as I do not see any buttons on the remote for record and playback.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
No, no USB Record: At one time, it was on the list of features for Firmware Upgrade, but that's long since been binned.

RedGill

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Bridport
Thanks for you help. So its looks like Foxsat HDR is the one, just need to look around for a used one.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Another option is the Technisat Freesat receiver, single tuner and a lot cheaper, but in my opinion better for other sat reception.

RedGill

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Bridport
I can not find much info on the Technisat Freesat HD the only one I have found info on is the Technisat HDFS which looks like it only has freesat. It looks like the old model had freesat and non-freesat but I maybe wrong. Need to try and get something setup for Xmas.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Little Grey Cells engaged ............... If you need it for Christmas, does that mean you are expecting family from outside the UK?

If so, tell us their precise needs/wants and we might be able to come up with another solution.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Looks like it's out of production, but it does have a non-Freesat mode.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Looks like it's out of production, but it does have a non-Freesat mode.

I'm not familiar with the Technisat range, but it is a requirement under the Spec. for Freesat Hardware that a non-Freesat mode must be available. The issue is how user friendly it is! (But suffice it to say that only the Humax and Technisat have afficionados - all the rest have no decent reputation in this respect).

I do wonder what the significance of Christmas might be, though ................ :confused

RedGill

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Bridport
What I'm looking for is a sat box which will receive Freesat with 7 day EPG and non-freesat to work with my motorised dish DisEqC switch, new or used box will do. I think the humax HDR is out of the question due to cost. If somtone knows any old models which will do the job.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Avoid the cheap stuff - the Grundigs & stuff like that - ISTR their none Freesat implementation was flaky at best.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Is it really essential you use only one box? That's always going to require some compromises.

You could use a Freesat box with a dedicated 28E minidish and another generic box with your Motorised kit.

RedGill

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Bridport
OK if we go down the road of having just one box for Freesat and one for non-freesat, which one's should I be looking at bearing in mind I only have £150 to spend. I would like to be able to record from a USB on the Freesat box.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
The Skybox F3's are competent little generic receivers, and about 50 quid new.

have a look here:

http://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/735-skybox-hd-receivers/

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
AFAIK the best box for Freesat with USB Record was the aforementioned Technisat which is no longer available new - but you might be able to pick up a pre-loved one and, even if you get something like the Skybox F3 as the generic box (We have a dedicated sub-Forum for it, as it is so popular!) too, I imagine your Budget would be ample.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Still a couple of new ones via Google search, has two modes, Freesat and Technisat mode, when in Technisat mode, it behaves like any other FTA receiver.