Freesat and Spider?

Broadwood

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5000, 80 cms dish
My Location
London
I think I need to consider updating the boxes, especially to get freesat. The set up I had considered was 2 stbs, one for a motorised dish (80cms) and another for a new freesat dish. However, reading up on this it looks like I could use a new Humax foxsat stb as the main stb for both systems? If so, it raises the question of 'support' software availability. Alternatively, would the spiderbox open up freesat on 28E? And does the spider have a PVR facility? Which way forward?

4dbennett

lifes not a practice run
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SPIDERBOX 9000HD, 1.2 and Humax Foxsat HD,Hitachi L500HDD
Acer Aspire 5315 Lappy
My Location
torfaen south wales
Broadwood said:
I think I need to consider updating the boxes, especially to get freesat. The set up I had considered was 2 stbs, one for a motorised dish (80cms) and another for a new freesat dish. However, reading up on this it looks like I could use a new Humax foxsat stb as the main stb for both systems? If so, it raises the question of 'support' software availability. Alternatively, would the spiderbox open up freesat on 28E? And does the spider have a PVR facility? Which way forward?

I,m of the same mind and i,ve asked these very questions on product support and never got an answer, the spiderbox has an ariel input so i was wondering if we could get freeview in HD also,

regards Dave

regards dave

Broadwood

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5000, 80 cms dish
My Location
London
let's wait and see if any moderators or other experts in the field answer!

donkeyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM5200 USB patched, motorised, 90cm dish
My Location
UK
Without the gift, the spiderbox is a free to air receiver, so there should not be a problem getting freesat on 28E, even with the gift.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
As has been writen elsewhere the "gift" could expire at any time with no recourse. The Spiderbox would then be a simple FTA receiver - not a Freesat receiver.

Although I've not set mine up as such, the Humax Foxsat HDR can be used as a standard Freesat PVR and, in non-freesat mode, can drive a DiSeqC motor on its first LNB input. I would think that the Foxsat HD (with only one LNB input) could do the same.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
PaulR said:
As has been writen elsewhere the "gift" could expire at any time with no recourse. The Spiderbox would then be a simple FTA receiver - not a Freesat receiver.

Although I've not set mine up as such, the Humax Foxsat HDR can be used as a standard Freesat PVR and, in non-freesat mode, can drive a DiSeqC motor on its first LNB input. I would think that the Foxsat HD (with only one LNB input) could do the same.

It most certainly can.

Mine spent the first year of its life driving a Motor (although I now have it arranged so that a second box elsewhere in the house acts as positioner, for reasons of personal convenience: Fixed 28E dish is on DiSEqC A and the motorised dish on DiSEqC :cool:.