Freesat Cabling

jonnycabs

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Newbie, not sure what is required here.
My Location
Surrey
Hi, Im looking to move to freesat and away from Virgin.
I have virgin media AND a satellite dish feed coming into an outside wall box. The 2 cables connect to a "TESI-02N 2-way splitter" with 5-1000MHz written on it. Then a white virgin media cable goes into the house into another 2 way splitter inside - the outputs from which go to the broadband router and the virgin media box.
I have a LG smart tv with satellite input. I wondered if I can just plug the cable from the virgin media box into the TV. Seems odd that the satellite and virgin cable are plugged into the same splitter and I wonder if it was just to keep it tidy in the box ?! I tried plugging the virgin media cable into the TV and gone through set up but it has no satellite signal. I am technically savvy just not on this subject so any pointers would be much appreciated.
The satellite dish is very old, maybe 10-15 years but used to work with Sky. I read something about LNBs, not sure if that has anything to do with it.

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
Seems odd that the satellite and virgin cable are plugged into the same splitter and I wonder if it was just to keep it tidy in the box ?!
This would be my presumption. It would be best to connect the receiver/TV directly to the LNB avoiding any splitters or cable equipment, extending the existing cables from the dish would be okay (using F connectors and a female-to-female adapter). A photo of the LNB will help determine if it needs to be changed.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Photos of the splitters etc would help, but the satellite cable from what you describe is connected to an output of the Virgin splitter, which in any case would not pass the satellite signal, nor pass the voltage required for the dish to work. As above, it needs to come into the house on its own. Also, are you sure that the cable from the dish is connectd to the splitter and you havent mistracked the cables?