Freesat channel changes

greenslade

Reaction score
After the Freesat channel changes a couple of weeks ago, I lost BBC1 West and BBC4 from my Passion+ receiver. I tried a factory reset expecting the changes to be picked up, but no.... no change. I've tried a forced channel update... no change. I have the latest June 2010 software.

Do I have to wait for Fortec to release a new firmware with the updated channel information? Or is there a way to get the receiver to recognise the transponderr changes?

Steve

greenslade

Reaction score
Thanks Robbo for the quick reply.... I know that it should be easy and that a re-scan should do it.... but still doesn't pick them up. On the Passion+, being a non-Freesat receiver, the 7 day UK EPG only works if the 'Freesat' option is selected in initial setup. When I do this... channels are still missing which makes me think the channel list is hard coded in the firmware and a forced update doesn't find the changes. Anyone successfully coped with the change on the Passion+? Retained 7 day EPG? What did you do?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Have you tried deleting the affected channels, and doing a full reset including pulling the power cord out of the wall.

greenslade

Reaction score
I will try that - thanks. I have selected 'London' in the mean time in the initial set up following factory reset which got me BBC1 back (BBC 1 London wasn't affected in the transponder changes)

greenslade

Reaction score
Deleted all channels, mains plug out, First use screen.... still no BBC1 West or BBC4. It seems to me that maybe the reason is because the Passion+ is a non-freesat receiver, it is not able to interpret channel frequency information off air and that the method by which Fortec allows the receiver to display a 7 day freesat EPG involves hard coding transponder information in the firmware. I'd be interested to hear from anyone with a Passion+ receiver.

briangw

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax HDR1000
Samsung 40" TV
FS Passion+160Gb
Samsung 22" TV
Humax Foxsat
Hannspree 22" HDMI
1.8m Prodelin offset
Triax Cascade System
with 19 Apartments
My Location
Los Lobos, SE Spain (Lat: 37.3087° Long: -1.7647°)
The Freesat Channel TP data is definitely hard-coded into the firmware.

To get round this, there are a couple of options :-

1 Use Channel Download/Upload facility in conjunction with SetEditPassion to manually keep your channel list up to date using en.KingOfSat.net TP data. (my preferred method)

2 If you dont have access to a convenient PC, try doing a manual scan in non-freesat Mode,which will pick up every channel on 28.2/28.5E.
Switch on the 'UK 7 day EPG' in the Menu settings.
Manually Delete/Edit/Sort the new channel list to suit your own requirements. Make sure you leave Men&Motors(the 11426H TP is mandatory) in your list so that the EPG is filled for 7 days.

Whilst on V1.28, do a cold reboot every day, and go into the EPG (or Standby) for 4 minutes, to keep your EPG full for 7 days

greenslade

Reaction score
Wow! Done it using your suggested sateditpassion method, Brian. Thank you very much...thanks too to previous posters and, of course, Wolfgang Litzinger for Sateditpassion.

Glad I asked here!!

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Accoding to a recent post on the DS forum Fortec will be relaeasing new firmware for the Fortecs to fix this problem

greenslade

Reaction score
That would be easier than using the sateditpassion tool. I just wonder for how long Fortec will be prepared to support receivers as Freesay TP changes take place in the future. So far, so good, but even the best companies usually abandon support of legacy products at some point.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
greenslade said:
That would be easier than using the sateditpassion tool. I just wonder for how long Fortec will be prepared to support receivers as Freesay TP changes take place in the future. So far, so good, but even the best companies usually abandon support of legacy products at some point.

Thats a very good question - and Fortec are notorious for dropping support for receivers after around 2 years