Freesat options?

doggy

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi guys, it's been a long time since I last posted.
I have a few ideas bouncing around in my head regarding freesat in a spare room. Up until about a year ago we had a little Bush freesat box in there, but it seemed to chuck it, so I tried some old Sky boxes I had, they didn't work, I tried an old Xtreme pvr box, it didn't work.

So I'm now at the stage were I'm tempted to buy a Humax from currys and go through the whole diagnoses procedure just in case the Lnb is faulty. Now, I have access to a sky dish and quad lnb plus an old round sky dish and a 80cm dish used for my Xtreme years ago. God knows if any of the equipment is still working, I'm tempted to go with the sky quad first of all to see if I can get any channels.

Also can you get small TVs with built in freesat? Or would I be better with a freeview box and some kind of powerful indoor aerial? Basicallt what options do I have? Whats the easiest and most reliable?

Thanks guys in advance.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Welcome back :)

LNB's are cheap as chips these days so thats probably the best place to start, although first make sure all the connections are sound and theres no obvious signs of water ingress into the cabling, or damage to the cable.

Its also quite possible the dish has been moved in a storm so see if there are any signs of movement, slack bolts etc.

Some new tvs have satellite tuners fitted (often not specified on uk models although present) However as these are not fully specified "Freesat" units you wont get the full 7 day epg functionality

Freeview reception tends to need a decent signal so you would need to experiment with any indoor aerial array. However unless you are very close to the transmitter Id hazard a guess you are unlikely to get all the muxes reliably.

doggy

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.
As per usual the weather outside is terrible, not ideal for going up ladders.
I should have said the current tv in the room is an old analogue, but I like it.
I'm still pondering what to do, ideally if I could find a freeview tv with a built in dvd player and usb that can play avi/divx I would be a happy man, as long as its cheap.