Freesat Radio channels to DAB radio

Margaret March

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax PVR HD with twin LNB
My Location
Spain
Don't know if this is the right place or Forum to ask this but thought I'd start here!

We are in Spain and receive Freesat - my husband wants to listen to BBC Radio 4 in the morning whilst getting washed and shaved. He's not of course in the same room as the TV so I was wondering if a personal FM transmitter would work?

We have a DAB radio brought from UK so would like to use that to receive the radio.

Any ideas/thoughts on whether this is possible by my idea or whether there is something else we could use?

Thanks for reading.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
A personal FM transmitter might work if the distance is not too great and the walls too thick.

Most (all?) DAB radios include an FM receiver so, again, that should work.

smoggy07

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky minidish and Sky + HD 250gig Anytime+ box with full ish appart from sports and movies, Dreambox DM500s clone (Pli Jade3 max var F/W), Motorised 1.1Meter Dish
My Location
middlesbrough, teesside, northeast coast, uk
If the DAB does normal FM then it should be OK but you'd need a lead to take the audio out of the freesat box and into the transmitter, you'd also need to check and see if it is legal to use the transmitter where you are (even though nearly every other English language station out there appears to be pirate lol)

You'd need a lead with 2 male RCA/Phono plugs on one end and a headphone socket on the other so you could plug the 2 RCA/Phono plugs into the Freesat box and the transmitter into the headphone socket on the other end
Something like this would do the job: ebay.co.uk/itm/PRO-SIGNAL-PSG00183-3-5MM-ST-S-TO-2X-PHONO-PS-/140924485799?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

Margaret March

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Spain
Thanks all. The radio does get local FM channels so I guess I'll be OK to get a transmitter to put the radio from the Freesat box elsewhere in the house. Just had another thought I expect it could be received via wifi to a tablet. Just also seen on amazon and internet radio that uses wifi.

Once again a great result from a fab forum!

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
With an Internet radio you wouldn't need an FM transmitter (or even the satellite box to be switched on) as the Radio 4 channel is streamed through the Internet.

But one of those will be much more expensive than an FM transmitter. I paid only a couple of pounds for one that plugs into a cigarette lighter socket in my car.

Just had another thought. Do you have a spare laptop that your husband could use near to the bathroom? Then you could use the Internet radio on that. Volume might be a problem though.

Margaret March

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Spain
Thanks PaulR.

I have just been experimenting with my Blackberry Playbook (tablet) to see what the reception was like in the bathroom and it works a treat! So either he borrows that every morning or I get an internet radio for him - as you say though they are not cheap. Maybe he'll have to wait for a birthday!!

I agree the transmitters are quite cheap, in fact I did have one once for using in the car with my MP3 player but could never get it to work properly so gave up and only threw it away a couple of months ago before coming to Spain on the basis that I couldn't ever see me using it!

We are going to give the Playbook a trial and see how we go and if it seems like the answer I will treat hubby to a proper internet radio. I think that solution would be less troublesome than using the Freesat box etc. as it often means adjusting and that always causes confusion trying to get back where we were for TV watching.

Thanks for your interest and comments. :-bighappy

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
Another option is a modern smart phone with wifi connection and the TuneIn radio app.

Margaret March

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Spain
Thanks Timo he does have a Samsung smart phone so could probably use that, although he is a little bit of a technophobe when it comes to the 'frilly' bits of phones :)