Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax HD Freesat
Gibertini 150 cm dish for Astra 2D.
Technomate TM-1500 CI+ viewing Astra 2, Astra 1 and Hotbird
Sky receiver for FTV channels.
My Location
Copenhagen - Denmark
According to an email I received from Freesat, the platform is set to launch during the first week of May, week 18.

The email read:

Thank you for your email. At present I can inform you that the expected launch of freesat is provisionally the first week of May.

With regards to your other questions, I have appointed these to a member of the team with more knowledge in these areas.

We appreciate your interest and support

Best wishes

Freesat

cdtronix

Supporting Advertiser
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.1m Triax With Inverto Black Ultra fixed on 4.8East. 60cm Dish Fixed on 28East both Diseqc onto Dreambox 800HD. Cdtronix 1.2m Motorised with Twin LNB using Technomate TM6800 HD. Seperate Sky+ HD & Icecrypt S1500C.
My Location
Essex
wheres all the publicity for this launch ? no one is going to even know its even launched !

Expat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax HD Freesat
My Location
Copenhagen - Denmark
Yer I would have to agree, for a service that is going to be 'The next big thing' its keeping one hell of a low profile.
You would think they would be gearing up for launch with publicity and as much information as possible! Not Freesat, never mind the launch, we don't even know when a receiver will be in the shops.

danyelle6974

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
skybox winxp
My Location
sheffield
can anyone tell me about this new freesat by ITV&BBC - I have a skybox with a free-to-view card so I can see ch4,ch5 and sky3.... would I need a new receiver to get these channels without the free-to-view card? i.e. is it possible to receive the new freesat through the sky box? Will the free-to-view channels suddenly become free-to-air through my sky box (apart from ch4 until it comes later) when freesat by ITV&BBC launches in May? I am well confused..... I mean one assumes a bit later that e4 will come onto freesat by ITV&BBC and when that happens will I need to switch my receiver to a bbc freesat receiver instead of my skybox? I can't imagaine that sky would improve their freesat service....

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
No-one knows for sure but it's extremely unlikely that you will lose any channels on the digibox to Freesat. They will run in more-or-less parallel as they will use the same channel transmissions with only the EPG (Electronic Programme Guide) to differentiate them.

As far as the rest of your post, C4 (and E4/More 4) will probably join Freesat when they ditch encryption - but will still be available on the digibox just as the Beeb and ITV already are.

aba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
chaparral montery 40 fully loaded
ehcostar ad3600ipvia
3 dishes zone 2 / 1 mt motorized / 2.3 m motorized
My Location
nottingham
from what ive been told my my supplyer all freesat is, is freeview via satellite
will just have to wait and see

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Well I wouldn't say it's the same as Freeview via satellite as a lot of the channels will be different from Freeview (no C4, E4 or More 4 at present and unlikely to have Five soon or $ly 3 at all).

Perhaps a better description would be to say that it's the equivalent to Freeview but on satellite.

OldBen

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax TD110 with multi LNB 28.5E, 23.5E, 19E, 13E Inverto Black Ultra's (Black Premium on 28.5) into multiswitch. VU+ Duo. Emitor Satlook Lite meter.(Retired: Technomate 1500CI+, Moteck DG2100 DisEqC Motor, Metronic 85cm Clear Dish, Invacom 0.3db LNB
My Location
UK
PaulR said:
Perhaps a better description would be to say that it's the equivalent to Freeview but on satellite.

And with two HD channels, unlike terrestial freeview as Ofcom is more interested in making money than providing a TV service...

Expat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax HD Freesat
My Location
Copenhagen - Denmark
The BBC has confirmed, that the launch date for Freesat is expected to be Monday 5th May through those retailers appointed by the platform.
Updates will occur on the official site within the next week or so.
They have however suggested that whilst the 5th is the date they are aiming for, if the service is not ready, or if there is still issues to overcome, they have no problem delaying the service further.
Information has been scarce from Freesat, even their own website has no official launch date posted as yet.
Further delay could be damaging for the new platform, and may even cause frustrated viewers to use Sky's rival Freesat from Sky offering.

Freesat News page added to the main Astra 2D site:
_http://www.astra2d.com/freesatnews.htm

cdtronix

Supporting Advertiser
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.1m Triax With Inverto Black Ultra fixed on 4.8East. 60cm Dish Fixed on 28East both Diseqc onto Dreambox 800HD. Cdtronix 1.2m Motorised with Twin LNB using Technomate TM6800 HD. Seperate Sky+ HD & Icecrypt S1500C.
My Location
Essex
People out there are not going to understand any of this when it launches, they probably wont even know it exists ! Poor advertising campaign.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Not so much poor, as non-existent.

It is close becoming a shambles of Terminal Five proportions.

They have made no effort to solicit the support of the independents, who as far as I can see will be left out in the cold in favour of a few multiple retailers and national or regional installation companies.

By so doing they fail to utilise a great "in the home" sales force, I have in the last four weeks installed several Sky FTV systems, as I have not been able to guarantee my customers a date for Freesat and even if I could, there is no advantage in so doing, as the work will go to a national.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Will there be any advantage to having BBC freesat I wonder :)

$ky Freesat can be fitted for is a reasonable price, it has a well known EPG, easy to use and upgradable to subscription if needed. I can't understand why there is so much excitement regarding BBC freesat as you say smaller installer companies will not get a look in. I will continue to sell $ky Freesat and don't believe BBC f'sat will catch on... We wait and see...

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S, VU+ Solo2, 1.1m Dish, Moteck SG-2100A DISEQC Motor
My Location
Rochdale
just to confirm that FREESAT is britains best kept secret.... everyone i speak to about it, doesnt know what im talking about :(

unless they do something fast, it will go down like a lead balloon.

andyw37

SkysNotTheLimit
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Tring 90cm & Viasat
My Location
Moscow
I have been informed today FREESAT will launch on May 11th ( for what reason I do not know), receivers will be in the stores for April 30th, although restrictive amounts.

This will be supported by an "aggressive" marketing campaign jointly led by the beeb and itv.

Receivers - standard box with epg as per freeview, with a favourites guide £49.95, PVR £150 and HD £250.

I have this from a good source.

PS CH4 & 5 to join in the clear imminently.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
andyw37 said:
I have this from a good source.

PS CH4 & 5 to join in the clear imminently.
Well that last sentence makes me doubt the source I'm afraid. C4 doesn't finish its contract with $ly until later this year and Five doesn't finish until next year.

It's not even sure whether Five will then go FTA as they weren't very keen on FTA when they signed up with $ly 3 years ago.

andyw37

SkysNotTheLimit
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Tring 90cm & Viasat
My Location
Moscow
I have just seen a freesat model working, guess what ch 4 + 5 are on the epg, forget the contract, it is not a restraining order, is it a contract yes, but with an opt out clause with no refund, just because a house has an alarm it does not mean the householder must put it on.

Do you really believe that to be seen as a viable alternative to freeview freesat wont have ch 4&5???

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
technisat multytenne 4 in 1
My Location
Germany
Re: Best kept secret.

Fed up with watching dubbed midsomer murders, we've bought ourselves a satellite dish (see my System) so that I can watch bbc on astra 2d and my other half can watch football on sat 1 (german tv station). But now I've just read about this freesat thing. Or at least, I've tried to read about it, but don't seem to be able to find out a great deal. Can we use a normal technisat receiver to watch the beeb or do I need some special receiver that will available in limited supply at the end of the month? Do I need freesat to watch english tv at all? What's the difference between freesat and what is already out there? Isn't it a case of pointing the dish at the satellite and then the receiver sorts out all the available channels, or is this view too simplistic? Please forgive my ignorance. Any help/advice would be appreciated. Just to show how new to this I am, we bought the system this morning and it is still sitting there on our patio waiting for someone to mount it.

thanks in advance
b.housewife

Expat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax HD Freesat
My Location
Copenhagen - Denmark
Simple answer is not a great deal. The only difference being that with a Freesat receiver you get the 7 day epg, along with interactive services not avilable through your current receiver.

cjgall

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Topfield 4000PVR with Aston 1.07 CAM, (canaldigitaal), dragoncam,
Sky digibox,
Bush HD Freesat,
Visiosat trisat looking at Astra1, Astra2 and Hotbird.
My Location
Netherlands & Central Brittany

GUNERDOO

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Windows Vista
My Location
The North
For people without Sat TV then just maybe the Sky Freesat offer for £75 fully Installed is a Cheap way to Start Off, as they say it will cost £100 just to install Freesat. So Install SkyFreesat and also buy a Freesat Box for around £50 pounds and you have got both. Please Dont Shoot Me as this is only a Suggestion