PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
No shooting necessary! I'm sure that $ly have deliberately priced their offering to undercut Freesat and spoil the launch.

GUNERDOO

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Windows Vista
My Location
The North
That well maybe but does it matter to someone who can get Sat TV without breaking the Bank to get started ?

danyelle6974

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
skybox winxp
My Location
sheffield
So does anyone know whether I have to buy anything or not to receive freesat (including possible ch4 channels when they all fully join)?
Here's was I have:
a sky digital dish installed by previous owners of our house which we have working receiving free-to-air channels via a second hand old sky digital box.

Will I have to buy a new receiver?
If so, will it work with the previously installed sky digital dish?

I am well confused so I would really appreciate id someone could help me out.

I was also hoping to receive a channel called "the Hits" at some point, as well as E4 and More4 - any chance of this happening do you think?

snaithg

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD
My Location
UK
danyelle6974 said:
So does anyone know whether I have to buy anything or not to receive freesat (including possible ch4 channels when they all fully join)?
Here's was I have:
a sky digital dish installed by previous owners of our house which we have working receiving free-to-air channels via a second hand old sky digital box.

Will I have to buy a new receiver?
If so, will it work with the previously installed sky digital dish?

I am well confused so I would really appreciate id someone could help me out.

I was also hoping to receive a channel called "the Hits" at some point, as well as E4 and More4 - any chance of this happening do you think?

In the short term you are probably best advised to keep your existing Sky Box as it already receives all the same channels that will be available from the new freesat service. In addition I would recommend that you purchase a "Freesat from Sky" viewing card (£20) which will provide you with all the other "free" channels available from Sky. This will boost your total numbers to well in excess of those available from freesat, at launch. Don't know offhand whether you will get "The Hits" but you will definitely get E4/More4.

Later on (once many more free channels become available), if you want HD and PVR functionality, you may want to consider purchasing a new freesat receiver.

Graham.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
snaithg said:
Don't know offhand whether you will get "The Hits" but you will definitely get E4/More4.
Wrong. The card from $ly will get you C4 but not More 4 or E4 - these are only available with a minimum $ly subscription card. The same applies for The Hits channel.

The card will also get you the Five channels and $ly 3.

After Freesat (note: NOT the same as Freesat from $ly) starts C4 hopes to join soon after so that a card is not needed (in fact C4 ia already broadcasting a channel which can be viewed without a card). We assume that More 4 and E4 will also join and so be available without a card. Five has at least another year before its contract for encryption with $ly expires and may chose not join Freesat even then. Sly 3 is unlikely to join Freesat at all - where's the profit for $ly from that?!!

E4, More 4 and The Hits are already available on the terrestrial Freeview system. Perhaps this an option?

flashgordon1952

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky amstrad and panasonic systems 6 pack setup. two 42cm dishes.just ordered a technomate 6900HD with motorised system one metre dish. also at another address.twin feed static 80 mm dish non digital system. 6 year old dell with server memory 680 of
My Location
essex in the wilds somewhere
It has to launch that week. otherwise it could disasterous for the BBC/ITV . so far no adverts at all. this is a bit worrying in my view..come on freesat wakey wakey

OldBen

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax TD110 with multi LNB 28.5E, 23.5E, 19E, 13E Inverto Black Ultra's (Black Premium on 28.5) into multiswitch. VU+ Duo. Emitor Satlook Lite meter.(Retired: Technomate 1500CI+, Moteck DG2100 DisEqC Motor, Metronic 85cm Clear Dish, Invacom 0.3db LNB
My Location
UK
Well I never!

Freesat mentioned on BBC news this morning on Radio2, no launch date, just that "BBC and ITV to launch satellite TV service, 80 channels rising to 200 before end of the year, and offering HD, 100,000 UK homes have HD ready flatscreen and no way to get HD that we are paying for in license fee" or something like that!

Freesat website still useless mess of no information however.

Edit: Story on bbc news, still no dates: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7384928.stm

easysat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S + motorised 80cm dish, Amstrad DRX550 Digibox + fixed dish
My Location
pj::
OldBen said:
Well I never!

Freesat mentioned on BBC news this morning on Radio2, no launch date, just that ...

The reporter said boxes will cost from £49 and the installation is extra at £80 (which includes the dish).

The reporter was making out that this is a completely new service, alternative to terrestrial digital TV and Sky, etc. As we all know, Freesat is just a repackaging of what is already FTA at 28°E. So much for the BBC's mission to explain O-zzz.

Expat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax HD Freesat
Gibertini 150 cm dish for Astra 2D.
Technomate TM-1500 CI+ viewing Astra 2, Astra 1 and Hotbird
Sky receiver for FTV channels.
My Location
Copenhagen - Denmark
Expect activity today, the Freesat website should go live instead of the same old news that has been there for ages.
E4 and More4 are also expected to be FTA on freesat today, but who knows!
Audio has been restored to Channel 4 on Astra 2D.
If I was launching a satellite platform today, I would have let the contry know what is happening. Let's hope they get their act together.
Britain's best kept secret!

H

hoppo1

Hardly a fanfare, but this is on the website:)

"The BBC and ITV bring you freesat, a brand new digital satellite TV service offering free HD TV programming at no extra cost. freesat has no monthly subscription, just a one-off payment for the digital box, satellite dish and installation - so you pay once, and watch forever. And because freesat is broadcast via satellite, it'll be available to almost every household in the UK from today."

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Expat said:
Expect activity today, the Freesat website should go live instead of the same old news that has been there for ages.
E4 and More4 are also expected to be FTA on freesat today, but who knows!
Audio has been restored to Channel 4 on Astra 2D.
If I was launching a satellite platform today, I would have let the contry know what is happening. Let's hope they get their act together.
Britain's best kept secret!

Freesat launched this morning and both E4 & More 4 are now fta. (The +1's arent atm)

JohnC

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pioneer PDP- LX5090 50"TV
2x Samsung 50" TV
Sony RDRHXD870 DVD/HDD Recorder
Sony RDRHDX950 DVD/HDD Recorder
Humax Foxsat HD
Technomate TM-5402HD piggy-backed to a
Technomate 5500 CI Dap receiver.
Technomate TM5400C-usb connected also to 1.2 metre mo
My Location
Multi-sat enthusiast in the Heart of England since 1993....
Anyone got the Transponderr settings for Free-Sat??
Regards JC

danyelle6974

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
skybox winxp
My Location
sheffield
I can't get freeview where I am cos the signal is not good enough - all I get is partial pixelated channels but mostly black screens... where we lived before I was watching freeview so when we moved a few months back I missed the freeview channels... (especially more4 and e4)

I have been running an old sky box with a freesat card (blue card with yellow house) on a digital sky dish (an installation by the previous house owners).

When we first plugged it in a few months back it took a couple of weeks for ch4 and ch5 to work... but up until yesterday I had the basic channels missing e4 and more4.

Last night More4, E4, More4+1 and E4+1 all worked!!!!!! i'm not HD ready so I'm not bothered about the HD channels personally... but I think this means I now have all the channels that are available on freeview apart from "The Hits" (but hopefully this will become FTA cos it is channel 4 isn't it?) and that Virgin channel.... Plus obviously on Sky you get all the weird and wonderful God channels and foreign channels etc....

So this is fab news for me. Glad ch4 finally got themselves sorted! And I am so glad that the old sky box I got off ebay for a tenner is working with the beeb's freesat. They don't make it clear do they? I was thinking from the press etc I had to go out and get a new digibox. :-[

irart

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Freesat in UK,
Astra 1 ana/dig in UK
using Technomate -5000 DAPCI,
Astra 2 South Beam and Eurobird in Spain.
My Location
Cornwall, UK
danyelle6974 what you have is Sky Freesat, not the new BBC - ITV Freesat, for that you would need a different box. The latter was not set up in competition with Sky, but, as I understand it, to enable everyone in the country access to digital tv before the analogue switch off as some areas were unable to receive Freeview via the normal aerial.

Yorks

Mentally unstable.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pretend to know what I'm doing. Only the clever ones rumble me.
My Location
S. Yorks
irart said:
danyelle6974 what you have is Sky Freesat, not the new BBC - ITV Freesat, for that you would need a different box.

I think you'll find that on the whole all the transponder frequencies remain the same. As was said earlier, it has just been re-packaged as Freesat. The main anomaly at the moment seems to be ITV HD which apparently if you have a Sly HD box will not be receivable. (I am neither sly nor HD compatible).

Yorks :)