Freesat update - goodmans hd fault

JIMWET

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Goodmans Freesat HD
My Location
England
its always good to know that manufacturers test their firmware updates before release to see if they work or not!!!!!!!

think i may turn off the auto update feature that way i shall check to see if there are issues next time an update comes out!!!!!!

royally cheesed off with it!

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
It now seems to have gone beyond simply the loss of function: The shut-downs are almost certainly due to overheating.

Overheating which has been exacerbated by the Firmware "Upgrade" causing the Processor to work overtime.

There is much anecdotal evidence that they operate happily with the case top removed but shut down within a gnat's of putting the lid on.

So perhaps the obvious fact that a Thermal Shutdown is built in is a blessing rather than a curse, or we will be expecting increased fire risk.

Appalling.

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
TD110 Dish and TD88 Dish in Tandem
66°East to 60°West.
AZbox PrmHD + OpnbxS9HD + Skybox + DrHD F15
2x VboxII AZ-EL
2 m+ Alcoa PF + BSC421 C-Band lnbf...
+SS2/TwHnS2-3200 pci/TBS6925 pci
1.5 Fortec Star -Gbox - HtoH Ku/Ka/C
My Location
UK
Slightly off topic ...but this issue isn't confined to freesat boxes ..
both freeview boxes (in particular older models) ...and some TV sets with built in freeview ...have received and installed firmware updates which in turn have trashed the units ..
Not that its so terrible with a cheap £20 set top box ..
..but when you get customers bringing in their lcd tvs which are just outside of guarantee ...with reports like 'the set wont come out of standby' or 'the dvbt menu has dissappeared' ..and you have to tell them there is nothing you can do as the sets dont even have a pcmcia port or rs232 socket ..so no way to flash new firmware.
..they sort of look at you in disbelief..
Usually I just tell them to take it back where they bought it and demand it replaced as 'not fit for purpose'.
All too often the company who imported it and supplied it vanished.
A very recent one like this was an Apro model sold through Empire Direct..
..leaving a lot of very unhappy customers.
The govt in its wisdom made a disclaimer on the news recently saying no compensation will be made for equipment damaged or rendered unuseable by updates during the digital switchover'
In other words 'the punter must just suck it up- tough'.
c'est la vie.
VS

Billybass

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Multi sat,fixed dish.
My Location
England,east yorkshire
This is a farce,just heard thay may not be a fix,and its only a few hundred old hd boxes wiped software,so up to the owners to send them back for replacement,so its getting brushed under the carpet,no press releases,no bbc comments ect,so what happens next ?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Billybass said:
This is a farce,just heard thay may not be a fix,and its only a few hundred old hd boxes wiped software,so up to the owners to send them back for replacement,so its getting brushed under the carpet,no press releases,no bbc comments ect,so what happens next ?

Not sure why the BBC (in their "Freesat" hat) would be making statements as the fault lies entirely with one private venture Manufacturing group.

Freesat is still there for those with working equipment.

And the Press has now got wind of it, so expect the rumpus to get more strident quite soon.

JIMWET

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Goodmans Freesat HD
My Location
England
well on another note! the promise made by Harvard international of picking up the faulty unit on monday has not happened! they said i would have my repaired unit in my hand today but the ruddy thing is still sat here waiting to be collected, now im fuming as this is a fault under warranty. Does anyone have their telephone number as i cant seem to find it online!???

one very peeved off freesat user!!!!!!

)(-red

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Sadly, from comment on other Forums, your experience with collection/return is par for the course.

I suggest contacting your local Trading Standards organisation might be useful - if only to further fuel the farrago.

JIMWET

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Goodmans Freesat HD
My Location
England
i have found their website, not looking properly! DOH!

sent one stinking email to them saying pretty much as per your suggestion fella!

if i dont get a reply by 3pm i will be onto trading standards!

being self employed and taking time off site work to sort this shire out is kinda making the blood boil let alone money lost in doing so.....right royally ****** off, sorry wont swear on here!!!

'O'-red

compWhizz

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Goodmans HD Freesat
My Location
Kent
Are Goodmans planning to send out an update to fix the bugs? I'm getting fed up of watching DVDs and am missing my TV. It's annoying that the sound goes and it keeps turning itself on and off.

Goodmans should fix it as they damaged the boxes functionality with their update which you would have thought would have been thoroughly tested and major bug free.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Initially they said they would prepare a further update to be released within days of the incident, but it now seems they recognise that many of the affected boxes are not capable of taking an update without being returned to Harvard International.

I suggest you either contact Harvard or return your box to the supplier for appropriate action under the Sale of Goods Act.

compWhizz

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Goodmans HD Freesat
My Location
Kent
Has anyone received an update yet, as I haven't had an update confirmed message and my box is set up to update automatically and left on standby all the time?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
They haven't started streaming it yet (Personally, I doubt they've even finished compiling it).

Was supposed to be sometime yesterday, but ..................

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
As a result of a recent over-the-air download to Goodmans, Grundig and Bush Freesat HD digital boxes, some boxes have experienced problems. Whilst the number affected is limited, the cause of this problem is nevertheless under urgent and active investigation by Harvard International in conjunction with its suppliers.

Meanwhile, Freesat viewers who have reported this problem are each being contacted and arrangements are being made to ensure they can continue to enjoy the full Freesat service. This process is ongoing and will be completed by Sunday 25th October.

This issue concerns Goodmans, Grundig and Bush Freesat HD Digital Boxes only. Freesat viewers and owners of these boxes who are experiencing this problem, and who have not already provided their details, should contact the Harvard Helpline T: 0871 230 1777. We can assure all affected customers that they will receive a satisfactory resolution based on their specific requirements.

Harvard International wishes to apologise sincerely to the Freesat viewers and users of its Bush, Goodmans and Grundig Digital Boxes who have experienced this problem, and who have been inconvenienced by not being able to access the Freesat service

compWhizz

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Goodmans HD Freesat
My Location
Kent
I've been checking my box on a regular basis and on two occasions I've lost all my channels and had to do a first time install. Is this Freesat disconnecting the channels to fix the problem?

When I've found the channels, the TV isn't switching itself on and off like it used to, however after a few minutes the sound goes and if I then try and change channels, I get a blank black screen.

Has this happened to anyone else?

pandashoe

Reaction score
your lucky i bought a brand new one from argos it hungup in the download softwear page so i had to take it back a finished with it & am goin to wait for freeview HD comein out early next yr

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Or you could get a Humax Foxsat second hand for the same money.

davemurgtroyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Oxford
Or refurbished from Humax with 1year warranty £89. See here
_http://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/product.asp?ProdRef=10070&cat=stb

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
From the above website

Grade A's are predominantly store returns that have been tested and where appropriate repaired to an "as new" standard in our own service centre or factory.
They come fully boxed with all accessories and full instructions and are all backed up by a complete 1 year on site warranty.
Generally these units are on the latest software version but this cannot be guaranteed so free software updates are available via 'Over the Air' transmissions (when available)......

New Humax firmware is due to be released next month.

JIMWET

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Goodmans Freesat HD
My Location
England
well, finally!

my box has been collected yesterday with the reassurance that i will have it back in my hands on Friday this week.

Harvard, have recognised that the issue is not repairable over the air and collecting the boxes in a que!

its a three day turn around from collection.

The ONLY way to get a resolve is call Harvard International to get a repair done! to get all details go to Goodmans website and look under support i believe for all Harvard Int contact details.

The guy i have been dealing with is called Tim, he seems to be the only guy who is looking after the issue in its entirety.

hope this helps all those poor sods who have been left in the preverbial!

Jim:-doh2

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
I was just about to congratulate you on a successful outcome - but I think it best to wait until you have the Box back in your hands and working satisfactorily.

If you look at the Press Release from Harvard a few Posts up, you'll see that they suggest the problem would be resolved by 25 Oct!

The flying pigs are rather numerous ...............