Freeview coverage to remain patchy

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
One in 10 Freeview households will not have permanent access to the digital terrestrial TV service's full range of channels after analogue switchoff, according to media regulator Ofcom.
Confirming details of the digital TV service's transmission after switchoff in 2012, Ofcom said today 10% of the country would not be able to watch three of the six Freeview multiplexes - bundles of channels - all of the time.

That means patchy or even non-existent access to channels such as the Cartoon Network, Sky Sports News, UKTV History and ITV Play, which are broadcast on one of Freeview's three commercial multiplexes.

However, the 18 channels on the other three public service multiplexes - including the main networks provided by the BBC, ITV and Channel 4 - will be available to 98.5% of the country.

At the moment the commercial multiplexes on Freeview cover 73% of the UK's population, which will be increased to 90% after switchover.

Ofcom said it would consider future requests for additional transmission sites that would improve on this coverage.

However, any such request would be up to multiplex licensees, National Grid Wireless and ITV-controlled SDN, which have indicated that they have no plans to do so at this stage.

An Ofcom spokesman added that households were deemed to be covered by Freeview only if they had access to channels for 95% of the year.

Source: Media Guardian

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Not really surprising, as the BBC opted for the more robust system at the expense of quantity of channels, whereas ITV and their cohorts, decided to stick with more channels, but more sketchy coverage.

Whatever happens, they will still have more than they had with analogue.

Strangely enough, I spoke to someone today, who says that he will not be forced to go digital and will not buy a digital box, even when analogue finishes, he will go without TV, talk about a Pyrrhic victory.;)

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
get him to buy a satellite receiver and dish

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Nope, he is in a strong digital reception area and is quite happy to spend £200 on an array for two transmitter reception, but will be prepared in six years time, to lose all of his TV reception, rather than spend £20 on a freeview box. :eek: :-rofl2

Salty25

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ Pace v3, and before that analouge 80cm dish with Prima by Pace box pointed at 19.2e (not very imaginative then!)
My Location
Colchester, Essex
well i sincerely hope they improve coverage round my area, cos in my experience ITV was a non-starter. i think the way its been handled upto now has been a disgrace, hardly inspires confidence in the switchover

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
I put an aerial up in Colcehester the other year and the reception was fine, you must be in a dip there Salty.

They will however increase power when the analogue signals disappear, so many areas which have fringe or no reception, will take a step up.

Salty25

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ Pace v3, and before that analouge 80cm dish with Prima by Pace box pointed at 19.2e (not very imaginative then!)
My Location
Colchester, Essex
I certainly hope so. Just typical that this village has dodgy signals - we didn't get gas from the main network until 15 years ago :-doh2

R

Rd100

I am lucky where i am i can receive DTT from mendip, ridge hill, pontypool, stockland hill,