"Freeview" from Satelite??

DaveU

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Star Passion HD Freesat Kit (Maplins)

Panasonic Viera TX-37LZD70
My Location
North East Scotland
Hi,

Had a look in here but can't recall posting last summer when I was looking for tips on setting up my Freesat kit. You folks provided all the answers I needed so a belated big thanks.

This query is a slightly unusual one I guess.

My in-laws have a static caravan where we go for weekend relaxation ( Stella & BBQ style) and it's in a bit of a poor reception area for normal analogue telly.

The site is run by the local council and they've provided a small booster aerial to serve the site but it only has the basic terrestrial channels and still not that great reception. Several owners have installed satellite dishes and I was looking to do the same.

The site has a very impressive grapevine, (nothing much gets past some people :) ) and word came round that the council were providing "Freeview" via a satellite dish, all we would need was a freeview box and it would be running in a few weeks. I looked at main building and sure enough a new dish has materialized pointing south eastish (Astra ??), with a fancy looking DNB doo dah with 4 co-axe cables which disappear into the building.

From the same building, co-axe cable run to the existing booster aerials so I assume there's some techno-wizardry in the building. ;)

The question is.......can you get "Freeview" (not Freesat) via such a set up. I appreciate the details are sketchy but wuddaya think??

DaveU

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Hi,

I'd say you'd need to find out if there is a communal terrestrial or satellite signal plumbed to each point. There are means of collecting satellite signals and relaying them on uhf (terrestrial) known as smatv systems but at a guess it would sound very much like an astra2 feed to each point.:)