Freeview HD channels + Sky SD channels?

blackninja

Reaction score
Hi there. I've got a Sky HD box with card currently showing BBC, Channel 4 and (I think) ITV's HD channels with no subscription. Can I subscribe to Sky's standard definition channels on the HD box without paying the extra £10 HD subscription if I call them with my viewing card number, whilst retaining the freeview HD channels? Will the record, rewind etc functions work? Thinking of just getting the entertainment pack for now.

While I'm on the Sky subject, sorry but I can't find anything on this despite searching and I realise it's the wrong forum, but is anyone familiar with Sky Player on Xbox 360? My understanding is that if I subscribe to Sky TV via satellite I only need an Xbox Live Gold subscription to watch live TV. Is that correct?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Regarding having a standard subscription on an HD box, yes you can, you can also have the plus feature activated for no extra charge. The other question, I'm afraid I have no idea about.

Ghostleader

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm motorised Inverto dish with Dark Motor full metal gears, Xtrend 9500HD, Amiko Alien 2+, Amiko Alien 8900, Moded Zone 2 dish with multi LNB goodness! 50 inch full HD LCD and loads of other stuff! lol
My Location
Glasgow,ish!
blackninja said:
While I'm on the Sky subject, sorry but I can't find anything on this despite searching and I realise it's the wrong forum, but is anyone familiar with Sky Player on Xbox 360? My understanding is that if I subscribe to Sky TV via satellite I only need an Xbox Live Gold subscription to watch live TV. Is that correct?

No you cant watch "Live" channels with just a standard Sky sub, you need to have one of their additional services which are any of these: sky broadband Max (Or what ever they call it these days!), A multiroom sub or the HD sub, this is because they are robbing ba$t*rds. My brother inlaw hase access because his parents have multiroom otherwise he would be in the same boat as they dont have a HD sub & even though they have sky as their broadband supplier it wouldnt count as they can only have the "Connect" broadband package at £17 a month because theres no third party LLU equipment installed at the exchange. The only thing you would have access to is the archived shows from the channel packs you subscribe to, i.e. sky One shows etc.

blackninja

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. Much appreciated.

Re: Xbox. I understand there's a new "Sky Go" app coming in July which will allow you to watch live tv on your laptop with a Sky sub but without broadband max/multiroom. Hopefully the same will apply on the Xbox!