freeview HD reception

paulipm

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
100cm alloy dish stab h/h mount icecrypt s4000hd pvr ,sky panasonic recv.
My Location
in the Brecon Beacons
Am I correct in thinking that most HD tv 's sold in the UK up until recently are not compatible with the Freeview HD format , why has the UK always got to be different from the rest of europe ,if this is the case then people in the UK have been cheated again 'O'-red

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Moved from Multi receiver/TV systems section.

Your HD TV is compatible with Freeview HD, but the built in tuner is not, so you will require an external HD Freeview receiver.

I agree that many people will be really put out when Freeview HD comes to their area and they find that they require yet more expenditure, particularly the ones who have designed rooms around a single wall mounted HD TV, with no room for an external receiver. :eek:

PS. As far as I know, most of mainland europe will be in the same boat, as up until now, pretty much all TVs produced for the European market have SD digital Terrestrial tuners.

peapod1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Edision Mio 4k UHD, Fracarro Penta 85 with Inverto Black Ultra LNB. Technomate 2600 motor. Technomate 6902hd and 1m Gibertini in France.
My Location
Wiltshire UK and Bandol, France
rolfw said:
Moved from Multi receiver/TV systems section.

Your HD TV is compatible with Freeview HD, but the built in tuner is not, so you will require an external HD Freeview receiver.

If I understand correctly, I require a receiver capable of receiving DVB-T2 reception. So if I don't wish to replace my newish Panasonic TV I will require either a FreeviewHD set-top box, or preferably in my case an HD satellite receiver with an inbuilt DVB-T2 for the terrestial HD feed. Is anyone aware of such a satellite receiver in the pipeline?

paulipm

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
100cm alloy dish stab h/h mount icecrypt s4000hd pvr ,sky panasonic recv.
My Location
in the Brecon Beacons
Technomate sell stb's with combined satellite/ hd terrestrial tuners but I don't think thet are compatible with the Uk system ,there are others but again I don't think compatible with the uk system

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
rolfw said:
As far as I know, most of mainland europe will be in the same boat, as up until now, pretty much all TVs produced for the European market have SD digital Terrestrial tuners.
Not quite true. Any country (such as France) which transmits HD in MPEG4 using DVB-T can be received by any DVB-T TV such as a Philips 47PFL932 but won't display - you get a message saying "This video format is not suported".

I'm fairly sure that I've seen an add-on MPEG4 decoder which can plug in to the CAM slot at the back. Can anyone confirm?

Later Philipses (and I presume other manufacturer's) have a built-in MPEG4 decoder will display natively in France. Other countries which have declared that they will be using DVB-T2 (some even for SD transmissions) will be in the same position as the UK. I presume that manufacturers will, in due course, be issuing models with tuners that can understand DVB-T2 before too long.

ALAN 1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
vantage7100ts hd
Humax freesat HDR, Protek 9600ip,Protex 9700HD ip,
STAB 120 HH
1.2 dish 0.1 TM lnb
computer w/vista
My Location
HULL [uk]
paulipm said:
Technomate sell stb's with combined satellite/ hd terrestrial tuners but I don't think thet are compatible with the Uk system ,there are others but again I don't think compatible with the uk system
Rang Technomate tech dept, they said they will be a new receiver out OCT/SEP 2010, with a DVB-T2 tuner.They dont know the price yet, we will just have to wait and see what they name the new model.

peapod1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Edision Mio 4k UHD, Fracarro Penta 85 with Inverto Black Ultra LNB. Technomate 2600 motor. Technomate 6902hd and 1m Gibertini in France.
My Location
Wiltshire UK and Bandol, France
ALAN 1 said:
Rang Technomate tech dept, they said they will be a new receiver out OCT/SEP 2010, with a DVB-T2 tuner.They dont know the price yet, we will just have to wait and see what they name the new model.

Thanks Alan for that info. An update of the TM-6900 specs would meet the brief for me if the build quality was good, but I don't want to have to wait too long. I just wish Echostar would release something on the UK market.