Freeview reception in Bungalow

allan238

Reaction score
My Location
west of england
For health reasons I had to move to a Bungalow and in the process lost satellite and Terrestial television. Property is in bit of a dip and quite a few trees doesn't help matters. To make things worse I have a Pioneer Plasma with built in Freeview.:-doh!
However I brought the old roof top digital aeriel with me (one lives in hope)
It is on a six foot pole and after being attached to the wall the top of the aeriel is about eleven feet from the ground.:(
Terrestial TV is attrocious and freeview gives me all BBC channels and a reasonable channel five.......no ITV channels whatsoever.
My question is, if I can get hold of a twelve foot pole would the extra six feet improve my reception chances? Would a mast amplifier help?
This is reputed to be a good signal area, though I don't think any of my other elderly neighbours bother with digital.....they don't seem to be enthusiasts like us. More flowerpot gardening and zimmer frame races.:D

I have to be careful what I do, too many local ordinances to worry about.
Appreciate any helpful comments

handyman 44

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky digibox also technomate tm 1000 ci
motorised 80 cm dish
My Location
norwich "up the city" down the ipswich
hi raising the aerial wont improve the signal unless u are going to clear the obstruction can u move the aerial to a different position to the side of the trees . i have tried mast head amps to try and overcome probs with trees and it just made things worse .some times a better signal can be obtained by mounting the aerial lower so u are beneath the main branches. if u can get a clear line of sight to the transmitter missing the trees .a mast head amp might compensate for the fact that u are in a dip

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Can't you make use of one of the Sky free install/equipment offers at your new address? Maybe you just can't see Astra2, or maybe you want Freeview as well?... :(

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I would go for a 16ft mast, should at least help a little to counter the dip.

jimbo1969

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dm7020 with motorised dish
My Location
uk
Hi,

did you get good reception with this aerial previously? ITV and channel 4 are on the weakest mux so you need a proper wideband aerial to get them - I dont, but my sat system does even though it is positioned lower than the aerial.

hth
jim

allan238

Reaction score
My Location
west of england
Thanks Guys!
Have taken all suggestions on board.
Astra 2....out of the question, unfortunately.
The 16 foot mast seems reasonable rolf, but I think the council only allows a mast that rises 6 foot above the roof of the bungalow.
The aerial itself was excellent at previous address, it was bought because of the freeview plasma.
Best wait until spring. With these trees I may not even be able to see the sky itself!.......and no, there's no broadband cable.
Always hoping.
Allan.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Interesting Allan, so what they are effectively saying is that you cannot have digital TV, and then when analogue TV switches off?

A letter to the council and then when that is not successful, a letter to your MP and the local newspaper and TV station must be the way to go. :)

allan238

Reaction score
My Location
west of england
Way ahead of you rolf.
Letter already drafted, however after a little experimentation I find that I can view Astra 2 which would give me the free to air package.
It does not really satisfy me though, being the morose, stubborn wretch that I am, I wanted Freeview.
Interesting to think that with the closing down of analogue more people will be able to receive digital......but how many of us want to wait three years?
Each and every day is a bonus for me and time goes so quickly these days.
I shall cut my losses and be satisfied with what I can get.
Doesn't mean to say I won't keep pestering people, forums, council and carry on with any idea that comes my way.
New goal in life....getting freeview:D
Allan

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Good news about 28.2 Allan. :) Can't have one of our members completely devoid of satellite, don't suppose you can squeeze in 19 and 13 East as well. :)

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
Usually, the ITV channels are a little bit harder to receive than BBC, for similar TX power, due 64QAM modulation.

Thing to do is look at received signal strength/quality display on your receiver. If the ITV strength isn't too far below the BBC, then just a small improvement should do it, and it's worth experimenting with a low noise signal amplifier (compared with further cost/trouble of errecting a large mast!).

What sort of aerial are you using? Is it suitable for the particular transmitter? That will make a difference!

(if you're in a Fresnel "null" - on the wrong side of a hill - changing the exact aerial position might make a difference - is it possible to experiment with moving the mast around, maybe with somebody just holding it for a few minutes? Not easy, I know!)

(added) sorry, i'm not thinking too clearly this morning! if your receiver won't even "recognise" the ITV channels, then try optimising on Ch5!