Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Well frikoriko
as they do not state what size the dish is, that makes it difficult to answer.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Even if it is, the French DTT multiplexes are using a unique "scrambling". 4 or the 5 current multiplexes are combined into 2 satellite frequencies. The 5th one is available in the clear at the moment, but will disappear once the sixth multiplex starts up (date not known to me) This one carries France 2 3 4 5 LCP & Arte

The de-plexing required by the 4 streams is way beyond the capabilities of any domestic equipment.

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Wavefield T55, 20 LNB's and a whole load of analogue boxes!
My Location
Close to Southampton
frikoriko said:
LIDL is having a package deal right now. Does anyone know if this is will enough to receive french tv channels?
http://www.lidl.co.uk/gb/index.nsf/pages/c.o.oow.20050523.p.Portable_Satellite_Receiver

the 35cm dish maybe a little on the small side. you'd need a 60cm in south uk and maybe 80cm up north for 100% bad weather performance.... cts

frikoriko

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Cheers for the replies. I'm thinking of getting an analogue receiver as well as I only want the 6 basic french channels.
So a cheap analogue receiver off ebay and 60cm dish minimum is what I'll be looking for. Does it matter what dish I get? Also are there any that I can clip to the window frame as I live in a top floor flat and I'm not allowed to install any dishes on the exterior walls?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
frikoriko said:
Cheers for the replies. I'm thinking of getting an analogue receiver as well as I only want the 6 basic french channels.
So a cheap analogue receiver off ebay and 60cm dish minimum is what I'll be looking for. Does it matter what dish I get? Also are there any that I can clip to the window frame as I live in a top floor flat and I'm not allowed to install any dishes on the exterior walls?

DONT pay more than a few pounds, and dont buy very early kit, it wont tune high enough. A Pace MSS series works well. An Echostar would be better - becuse they should give you colour pictures!

French satellite tv transmissions are transmitted using S*caM not PAL. S*caM gives B&W pictures on UK tellys unless the tv is S*caM compliant.....

The camping kit from Lidl out next week is the only dish I have heard of that will stick to a window, but the dish may be too small, as already mentioned.

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Wavefield T55, 20 LNB's and a whole load of analogue boxes!
My Location
Close to Southampton
frikoriko said:
Also are there any that I can clip to the window frame as I live in a top floor flat and I'm not allowed to install any dishes on the exterior walls?

Although not recommemded you can actually put a dish behind the window, I've read that it depends ont he amount of 'metal' in the glass... also it depends which way your window points.

If you're in the south UK you might try a 60cm dish behind the window (where are you located?), just as an experiment. There were some pictures of somebody receiving the spanish stuff off hispasat 30W behind a window with a sky minidish...., here they are:

_http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/showpost.php?p=202967&postcount=182

And someone with a 85 cm dish indoors:
_http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/showpost.php?p=152376&postcount=81

Again not recommended...

I have yet to try mounting a 1.1M dish in my loft, but don't imagine it will work very well.

-cts

frikoriko

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Thanks for all the help. My TV is secam compliant so should be no problem with colour.
My only concern now is to find a way to hook the dish somewhere pointing west - some talks with landlord maybe required :p
As for the receiver, I've seen a couple on ebay, the Pace MSS 508IP, MSS301I. I think they will do the job,

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
closetosoton said:
I have yet to try mounting a 1.1M dish in my loft, but don't imagine it will work very well.

-cts

It wont work at all unless you either have a window in the roof space pointing the right way, or replace the tiles with polycarbonate ones transparent to satelite downlink frequencies

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
frikoriko said:
My only concern now is to find a way to hook the dish somewhere pointing west - some talks with landlord maybe required :p

It isn't West, it is almost due South, only 33 degrees to the west of a Sky digital dish.

frikoriko

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
rolfw said:
It isn't West, it is almost due South, only 33 degrees to the west of a Sky digital dish.

Ohhh. This is where the confusion begins. I need to point to Atlantic Bird 3 and I live in north london, N3.
Are there any site which can give me the angles of orientations?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
frikoriko said:
Ohhh. This is where the confusion begins. I need to point to Atlantic Bird 3 and I live in north london, N3.
Are there any site which can give me the angles of orientations?

So effectively you are on the Greenwich Meridian - 5 degrees west of south is near enough for you. AB3 is such a powerhouse signal that with the analogue channels you literally cant miss them.

greg-h

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 meter dish
60 cm dish-sky
applo analouge reciver
grundig digital reciver
thinking of buying technomate 5000ci or
manathan plaza 300-ir
My Location
cork county ireland
the only chanle on 19e is arte

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
greg higgins said:
the only chanle on 19e is arte

Errr no...

Demain!
Telife TV
TV5 FBS & TV5 Europe
Euronews (this is actually a french station)
KTO TV
Zik
La Chaine Parliamentaire
Best of Shopping
M6 Boutique
Liberty TV

are all fta digital on 19E.

greg-h

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 meter dish
60 cm dish-sky
applo analouge reciver
grundig digital reciver
manathan plaza 300-ir
My Location
cork county ireland
sorry i ment analouge it is the analouge fourm sorry my fault tell me whil i have you i am using a 1 meter dish for astra but the picture is still sparkling although my meter is at 75 per cent?. i cant seam to pick up any other signal from my box i havean applo grundig any ideas

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
greg higgins said:
sorry i ment analouge it is the analouge fourm sorry my fault tell me whil i have you i am using a 1 meter dish for astra but the picture is still sparkling although my meter is at 75 per cent?. i cant seam to pick up any other signal from my box i havean applo grundig any ideas
By Astra I am assuming 19.2E
My first is to suggest a digital receiver (lol) but others would disagree!!!! Have a look at this thread _http://www.lyngsat.com/astra19.html and you will see that all the channels with white back grounds are FTA analogue but you will have to check the beam (by clicking on it) to see if your area is covered. But looking at the first few, you should be getting stomping signals with 1mtr dish. Another thing that strikes me is that if this system is old (I've never heard of it but that is not surprising!) and not used very much you may not have a wideband LNB, since a lot of the transponders are 12gig and above. The second thing is that a lot of the frequencies may have changed since you last used it so you may simply need to rescan. Lastly if all this is sudden then I would suspect cable or lnb problems.:)

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
A 1m dish in Cork should give plenty of signal from the Astra 1 cluster. Assuming the receiver is OK, I would have to suspect a failing LNB, or water in the cables.

@ Topper, the only hi band fta analogue signals are M2 on 13E and the Frenchies on 5W. All the others are on low band, and almost any old lnb should work with it.

frikoriko

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Do you guys get a clear picture when viewing the French channels on Atlantic Bird 3 5W?

greg-h

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 meter dish
60 cm dish-sky
applo analouge reciver
grundig digital reciver
manathan plaza 300-ir
My Location
cork county ireland
the dish and lnb are new i use the analouge every day -eurosport and have tried updateing the frequencys i ws using an 80 cm dish which was rusty for 2 years and the signal was perfect i doubt it is water damage the cable and lnb are waterprofed
thanks all the same
greg

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
frikoriko said:
Do you guys get a clear picture when viewing the French channels on Atlantic Bird 3 5W?

No problems in south scotland with an 80cm dish. Some of the channels have a few sprklies on them, but a touch of threshold extension sorts that out. (This seems to be something to do with the transmission as they certainly arent due to lack of signal.)

frikoriko

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Analoguesat said:
No problems in south scotland with an 80cm dish. Some of the channels have a few sprklies on them, but a touch of threshold extension sorts that out. (This seems to be something to do with the transmission as they certainly arent due to lack of signal.)

How do I apply that extension?