FTA from SKY, it is a scam

dee

Member
Messages
22
Likes
0
#1
I ordered the so called FTA from SKY and just to let yu all know it is a scam. You are better off getting an old sky receiver off Ebay. It doesn't give anything more than what you would see on Astra 2 on your standard recievers. Not even ITV1,ITV2 or Five. All you get is the crap that comes standard with any FTA receiver. Save your £20!!!!!!!!!!
 

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Messages
37,679
Likes
1,281
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
#2
I'm sure that can't be correct dee, they state that you will get ITV and Five, don't think ITV 2 was ever supposed to be included though.
 

Leee

Regular Member
Messages
515
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ v2 (120Gb); DM7020Si*motorised; PC/S2-3200
My Location
47°N/8°E/490m
#4
the card allegedly activates in the first digibox you put it into.
the question is, will it work in other boxes afterwards? ;)

Freesat gives you three extra channels - ITV C4 and 5. Also it regionalises the terrestrial channels based upon your registered postcode.

It's not a scam but of course, you have to question the value it represents to you :)
 

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Messages
37,679
Likes
1,281
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
#5
I don't consider £150 for an installed digital system to be bad value, particularly if you are in an area of weak terrestrial reception. If you are in a good reception area and can receive a terrestrial digital signal, then there is no advantage to this whatsoever, you would be better spending the money on a good aerial upgrade. :)
 

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Messages
24,755
Likes
5,437
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK South
#6
rolfw said:
I don't consider £150 for an installed digital system to be bad value, particularly if you are in an area of weak terrestrial reception. If you are in a good reception area and can receive a terrestrial digital signal, then there is no advantage to this whatsoever, you would be better spending the money on a good aerial upgrade. :)
and you can then enjoy the additional repeats on ITV3 as well
 

dishdoctor

Hmm, now what seems to be the problem?
Messages
420
Likes
0
My Location
Torreblanca ,Malaga
#7
The card has to be activated.............it will not activate itself in 30 minutes..........you must phone the number on the card and give details of the digibox......if the digibox is connected to the phone line you may be able to authorise automaticaly,this i do not know............. :cool:
 

Zorba

aka Skyman
Messages
2,201
Likes
7
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
#8
So you are stating that you are getting ch4 but not five?what message do you get on 105?
 

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Messages
787
Likes
3
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo, Humax IRCI5400z, Sony Bravia KDL-32EX403, 1.1m Triax, Technomate TH-2600 DiSEqC mount, Sony BDV-E280 Home Cinema system, ancient Logik Freeview PVR.
My Location
Kernow
#9
£150 for an installed system may be good value or the hardware,Rolf, but if all you get is the same as with a >£50 box, the viewers in a poor reception area may be forgiven for wondering why they pay a licence fee.
 

punter45

Regular Member
Messages
18
Likes
0
#10
Hi, it does need to be activated, ring 08708 500033, best have digibox on cos they want setup info, serial number etc, even then it may be 24 hours before your box updates, it aint no scam although it is restricted to one box by serial number
 

chrislloret

Regular Member
Messages
96
Likes
0
My Location
Beautiful Catalunya,Spain
#11
It is no good, you have to activate by phone or thru the digibox, it will only work in THAT digibox,so no good for expats,they have the same trouble they have with regular sky. Also,150pounds is not good value,because you do not get a reciever but a SKY Digibox,this box can not recieve anything but 28.8, no motor,CI or anything,I can not even programm that piece of s.....(excuse that please)
Any 100euro box is better then that,ok I loose ITV,4 and 5, but I have ITV3 and all BBC,incl. Interaktive, so what do I need more? Movies and sports are better on the European systems anyway,in english and without adverts.
The old freeView Card did the same then this new one, but it worked in any SKY Box,you get them here for 40euros or less (nobody wants them), so why did they change that?
sunny greetings
Chris
 

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Messages
37,679
Likes
1,281
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
#12
chrislloret said:
It is no good, you have to activate by phone or thru the digibox, it will only work in THAT digibox,so no good for expats,they have the same trouble they have with regular sky. Also,150pounds is not good value,because you do not get a reciever but a SKY Digibox,this box can not recieve anything but 28.8, no motor,CI or anything,I can not even programm that piece of s.....(excuse that please)
Any 100euro box is better then that,ok I loose ITV,4 and 5, but I have ITV3 and all BBC,incl. Interaktive, so what do I need more? Movies and sports are better on the European systems anyway,in english and without adverts.
The old freeView Card did the same then this new one, but it worked in any SKY Box,you get them here for 40euros or less (nobody wants them), so why did they change that?
sunny greetings
Chris
With respect Chris, the deal is not aimed at you, it is aimed at UK residents and I don't care what the box is, an installed box (of any description, plus a dish and LNB} for £150 is not bad value for money. Once activated, I would be very surprised if it (the freesat card) behaved any different from the other Sky cards, in that it will work in any box for non-premium channels.

@ Wolsty, sorry didn't see your post, surely if you are in an area with limited or no reception, this would be a godsend, what would you have done before the freesat package or indeed before Sky started Sky digital, as there was only channel 5 available and even that requiring a videocrypt decoder? Also consider that even in moderate reception areas, an aerial and masthead upgrade, plus the price of a freeview box, would well exceed £150.

Anoher thing to consider is that when BBC were paying for the solus cards, everyone was moaning about it, same argument that they had to have a Sky digibox to receive the channels. When BBC went FTA, meaning that anyone with a sat receiver could receive it, there was more moaning from those outside the 2D footprint and from those who also wanted ITV and Channels 4 and 5.

I can guarantee that if they go FTA en masse, there will be even more wailing and gnashing of teeth from our not so close ex-patriate friends, as they will probably all be on the limited footprint. Then we'll also get the moaners asking why the licence payers should pay, when overseas viewers don't, this really is a lose lose scenario for the TV companies.
 

RogerP

Regular Member
Messages
21
Likes
0
#14
I bought 2 cards and neither self activated, I had to phone up to get it done. And yes, once activated the card will work in any box.
 

chrislloret

Regular Member
Messages
96
Likes
0
My Location
Beautiful Catalunya,Spain
#15
rolfw said:
With respect Chris, the deal is not aimed at you, it is aimed at UK residents and I don't care what the box is, an installed box (of any description, plus a dish and LNB} for £150 is not bad value for money. Once activated, I would be very surprised if it (the freesat card) behaved any different from the other Sky cards, in that it will work in any box for non-premium channels.

Anoher thing to consider is that when BBC were paying for the solus cards, everyone was moaning about it, same argument that they had to have a Sky digibox to receive the channels. When BBC went FTA, meaning that anyone with a sat receiver could receive it, there was more moaning from those outside the 2D footprint and from those who also wanted ITV and Channels 4 and 5.

I can guarantee that if they go FTA en masse, there will be even more wailing and gnashing of teeth from our not so close ex-patriate friends, as they will probably all be on the limited footprint. Then we'll also get the moaners asking why the licence payers should pay, when overseas viewers don't, this really is a lose lose scenario for the TV companies.
:) :)

Sorry about my rant :) ,but the brits here seem to differ. Many(if not all) like to "zap" thru channels,something the digibox prohibits because basic features, like getting channels in your prefered order, do not exist. Reception of other satellites is a no no as well. Of course D+ Boxes here in Spain are not really better, but at least you can take the card and put it in to a reciever of your choice! For Murdocs outfit there is not even a CI on the market. Since lots of programming the british have to pay for is free on other satellites to see,I can understand the buissness point of it,I think if the avarage sky subsciber in GB could see other programming and how cheap it is,they would be quite angry seing what they pay for (the 437th repeat on the simpson channel,ehem,sky one),but that is not so for the "free" channels like ITV,4 and 5.
Most people here DO pay a licens fee but do not get the channels.
Estimates last year spoke of 60% and more of solus cards being overseas,we really believe they are for outside GB, after all, how many millions have terestial (analog) problems in some outposts? OK, Ch 5 is not available in large parts of the country, but its also the least missed.
It is strange, that only the brits say,they have to incrypt there channels for legal reasons when the rest of Europe got no problem with it. All French,Italien or German Channels are free,all over Europe,Pay TV is not, but thats not the issue here.
I can only say BRAVO to the BBC, what they done gave lots of europeans a real glimpse in to british life,unlike sky news or the 2 dozen shopping channel.

sunny greatings
Chris
 

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Messages
37,679
Likes
1,281
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
#16
LOL, we all need a good rant every now and then Chris. :)

Just going out to do some work, will reply later. :)
 
Messages
30
Likes
0
#17
dee said:
I ordered the so called FTA from SKY and just to let yu all know it is a scam. You are better off getting an old sky receiver off Ebay. It doesn't give anything more than what you would see on Astra 2 on your standard recievers. Not even ITV1,ITV2 or Five. All you get is the crap that comes standard with any FTA receiver. Save your £20!!!!!!!!!!
ITV 2 / ITV 3 suck anyway ITV 1 sucks but does have something good on every now and again.

"waits for next series of mine all mine"
 

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Messages
6,634
Likes
211
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
#18
well, I got an old Amstrad here with a free card, and it works just fine. I have it connected to a separate small dish so the wife and kids always have it working, while I got the motordish and Dreambox set up for those other sats. I think this FTA card is a good deal if you want to keep in touch with UK TV
 
Top