Fx hd?

Traveller11

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2 Sat Dishes, Pace Sky Box, Freesat-HD Box & HD TV.
My Location
South Wales
Hello,

Just found FX HD Channel on 'Non Freesat' Manual Tune using Humax Freesat box and while yesterday evening I got the Program Details in the box along the bottom of the TV screen, I then about 1 second later got a message telling me that the 'Channel is scrambled or not available', so no picture!

Can anyone tell me please if this channel requires to be pulled in on a specific transponder frequency etc or am I wasting my time trying to view it?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
FXHD is encrypted so you would need a Sky HD level sub to watch it.

Traveller11

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Wales
Is that why I get a small Icon in the Channel Listing that says 'ND'? As there is nothing in the Humax User Guide that describes the Icons?

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Are you sure that's not HD?

Traveller11

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Wales
No I even got the Magnifying Glass out to double check and it definitely says 'ND'.

The Icon looks like a little Suitcase with 'ND' clearly inside the icon but haven't got a clue what it means.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
The Foxsat uses the Suitcase Icon for all Encrypted Channels - The contents of the Suitcase refer to the Encryption type.

I venture to suggest ND might represent NDS (The provider of the Videoguard system used for 28E).

I can't be 100% on ND being NDS, as I don't store 28E Encrypted Channels on mine: I do have some on other Satellites that have other flavours of Encryption. (I store Channels that are generally FTA but occasionally Encrypted such as RAI, plus there are others that are normally Encrypted but are known to have FTA "moments"!)

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Page 25 of the Manual explains the Icons that appear on the i-Plate.

BUT, that does not include the Encryption "Suitcase" which, as you have rightly identified, appears only in Listing mode.

As it's a FREEsat Receiver, I suppose they didn't wish to confuse yer average punter!

The iPlate itself does have an Icon for HD (where appropriate) , but it is as clear as day - no magnifying glass required!

Traveller11

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Wales
Appreciate the explanation Tivù.

I suppose I will just have to keep looking for new Non Encrypted, Non Freesat HD Channels as and when they are available and if they do not show the HD icon but sumat else then consign then to 'Dusty Bin' as we will not be able to watch them.

On another question which you might know the answer to, with all the equipment you have listed:

When BBC turned off the analogue signal down here we 'lost' the Time Display on the Video Recorder.
I have tried to see if I can get it from the Freesat Satellite via Scart and Coax Connections but without any success.
Do you maybe know of a way around this other than buying a clock!

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Well I've never owned recording gear that synchronises it's clock "on air", so can't really help - other than to say I should have thought that there would be a manual clock setting mode available instead: Daft question, possibly, but have you read the Manual ............ ??

What Make/Model Recorder is it?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
I think you will have to set it manually.

I cant see the Freesat box giving the correct output for the video recorder time circuits.

Traveller11

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Wales
Tivù said:
Well I've never owned recording gear that synchronises it's clock "on air", so can't really help - other than to say I should have thought that there would be a manual clock setting mode available instead: Daft question, possibly, but have you read the Manual ............ ??

What Make/Model Recorder is it?

Hi Tivu,
You are correct there is a Manual Clock Setting facility.

As I don't go with this Sky crap about 'Standby & Birmingham', I turn everything off at the mains when we have finished watching, so it was really good to find the video start up with the correct time from the analogue signal.

I still have to pay the electric bill and think we should be aiming for enough 'juice' for a bigger city or maybe assisting the next generation of humans to be able to see in the dark!

Thanks for all the comments.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Its not good practise to turn Sky boxes off at the mains at night - their software updates are transmitted overnight & if the box misses too many it may get to the point where it wont update any more.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Traveller11 said:
As I don't go with this Sky crap about 'Standby & Birmingham', I turn everything off at the mains when we have finished watching, so it was really good to find the video start up with the correct time from the analogue signal.

I still have to pay the electric bill and think we should be aiming for enough 'juice' for a bigger city or maybe assisting the next generation of humans to be able to see in the dark!

I concur. My Leccy bills have gone down markedly since I restructured my gizmo piles so I could turn off all that could be turned off with just one flick of a switch.

As you've found, sadly some gear does not remember stuff and is left energised (my DVD Recorder being one such).

And Sky are even more disingenuous as you might think as the majority of their boxes consume as much in Standby as they do when "On"!

There is stuff out there now with low power standby modes (my Foxsat HD for one), but overall it's an inconsistent mess.

Traveller11

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Wales
Analoguesat said:
Its not good practise to turn Sky boxes off at the mains at night - their software updates are transmitted overnight & if the box misses too many it may get to the point where it wont update any more.

"Sky update"? Haven't seen one in yonks! Even with the Box turned on during 'Wakey Wakey' Hours and the Update Mode Used.

I have made a point of turning everything off at Night before going "Beddy Byes" for 2 prime reasons:

1. Difference on Electricity Bill, and Yes I have noticed the extra money in MY pocket not the Power Company's.
2. Safety and peace of mind that we are not going to possibly be the victims of a house fire from a piece of electronic wizardry that developed a 'fault'!

The DVD recorder also gets turned off as it is a simple matter if I want to record something to punch in the Date & Time as it still manages to remember the Signal Input from the Sat Box!