Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky 1.5 m FTE dish Amiko Alien SHD8900 receiver, Gigablue Quad
& 80cm dish for Nilesat or badr with Amstrad sky receiver
Dreambox 500s motsat3 motor
My Location
Totana Murcia Spain
Hi
I'm thinking of getting a new receiver and have been looking at the Gigablue quad
I currently own a amiko alien 8900 but now want something with a mips processer instead of sh4 as i think it is better supported with plugins etc ??...I would like to buy the vu duo2 but unfortunatly is out of my price range..Thats why i have been looking at the gigablue as it seems to have a good spec..Have been reading though about the picture quality on sd channels could be better so was just wondering if anyone has this receiver and what their experience is with it...quality, use of plugins etc..also does it play flv files

many thanks Richard

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Some SAT-related hardware.
My Location
N-E from Riga
I have this gadget from beginning of year. TBH I can not make difference in picture quality from another receivers. Digital picture is always good and mostly depends on channel's bitrate. Sometimes picture seems as I am watching theater and not a moovie, but that could be my personal perception. Processor is fast, at least faster than old DM8000, boots-up in about 1 minute. I do not have any flv file, so can not check. All the system files and their structure are basically same as DM8k has, so it was not problematic for me to start to use GB_Quad. If I was going to buy new receiver today, I am not sure if I would buy it, main reason is that there are still some bugs left and there is no Gbit-lan as it was announced.

RichardinSpain

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Totana Murcia Spain
Hi Rima, thanks for the feedback
What is your experience with plugins on this box..I use project valerie , TSmedia etc..It was very hit and miss on my amiko if these worked or not, numerous green screens etc..although i have everything set up and working at the moment ..I will be using it with a external hard drive too...I want something with good support (images, plugins etc) so was also looking at the vu solo2..but liked the extra features on the gigablue, plugable tuners, front lcd screen etc

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
N-E from Riga
I have installed internal SSD to GB_Quad, it works fine. Plugins are also available almost all, only bitrate iz not working (but that could be drivers bug). I am staying now with TemRed image, but there are several teams work on their products as well.
BTW, why do not you look at V u+ Duo2? Price is more or less same.

RichardinSpain

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Totana Murcia Spain
A vu duo2 for roughly the same price? all the ones ive seen are about 450 - 500 where as the gigablue i have seen for around 270..Did you mean the solo2?

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
N-E from Riga
No, I've meant vu duo2. OK, it is little bit more expensive, but new model and also better. You are looking for receiver for yourself? Than do not drink beer one month and put aside money for new box. :rolleyes:
I've touched vu duo2 today.... I liked it.

RichardinSpain

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Totana Murcia Spain
Yes i like the vu duo2 and if i had the extra £200 pounds i would go for it, but unfortuatly i dont drink that much beer..It looks a nice box and i like the screen at the front and has plenty of support

strs65

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Decoders: VU+ Uno, DR.HD F15
DVB cards: TBS6983, TBS 6925
Dish 1: Tecatel 1.10m
LNB1: Smart Oxid
Motor: Amiko DM3800
Dish 2: Gibertini 125L, with actuator
LNB2: Invacom QDF-031
My Location
Greece (Crete - Chania)
If I was going to buy new receiver today, I am not sure if I would buy it, main reason is that there are still some bugs left and there is no Gbit-lan as it was announced.

Hi Rima

What bugs are left, are they severe? I was considering the Quad for its 4 tuner capability, its speed and rather low price, but I would like to know if it has any serious bug beforehand...

Thanks in advance!

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Unless things have changed the only plugable available tuners are DTT. So that makes the box a twin as far as satellite is concerned. If you want 4 tuners go for the Ultimo or Duo2. Personally I've got a 5 tuner Ultimo and love it.

BTW, if you want PV don't expect it to be compatible with any cutting edge image.

Last edited:

strs65

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Greece (Crete - Chania)
In ebay I saw a configuration with 3 DVB-S2 tuners (2 internal, 1 plugable) and a DTT tuner, so it is possible that plugable Sat tuners for the Quad do exist. I was thinking something like that.

In any case I don't really need 3 or 4 DVB-S tuners, 2 are enough, and I also like to have 1 or 2 DTT tuners. Right now I have a USB DTT tuner on my Uno.

Btw, what's PV?

Edit. I found the DVB_S2 tuner also at the Gigablue site,

_h__p://w__.gigablue.de/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=58&Itemid=118&lang=en

Last edited:

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
N-E from Riga
Yes, things changed, and they finally produced DVB-S2 tuners. In my configuration 2 sat tuners and 1 DVBT. And in DM80k I have 3 SAT and 1 DVBT.
Edit: And forgot to tell some "good" words about remote. After using DM remote for a long time, GB remote seems to me not ergonomic, buttons too small and located too close to each other.

Last edited:

RichardinSpain

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Totana Murcia Spain
Btw, what's PV?

option=com_content&view=article&id=58&Itemid=118&lang=en

I think PV may mean Project Valerie as per my second post??

RichardinSpain

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Totana Murcia Spain
Hi Huevos

After trawling the web for many hours for info on the gigablue and the duo2 i stumbled across a website who are based a couple of hours up the coast from me (nearer to you i should imagine) who are selling the duo2 (they say) for 387euro with 1 tuner, This seems to be a really cheap price. I have emailed them to confirm the price as if it is true then i'd rather go for this than the gigablue..All the other prices i have seen are from around 450 pounds..Have you any thoughts on this and maybe you know the website i am talking about, not sure i can post them here

Also i have a old Thompson 1821, is it possible to take the hard drive out of it and use it as a pvr for duo2/gigablue?

Thanks Richard

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Richard, you can Post the Site as it's directly salient to your Topic rather than being a shameless plug!

RichardinSpain

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Totana Murcia Spain
Ahh Just went through the order process and it's not including vat which brings it up to 460euro which is on par with what i have seen it elsewhere..Damn thought i was on to a winner there lol

strs65

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Greece (Crete - Chania)
'T was too good to be true!

I think PV may mean Project Valerie as per my second post??

Ok, thanks!

In that case I'm not really sure why Project Valerie won't be compatible with cutting-edge images. I guess Open PLi 3.0 is one of them, and it works ok with it (I think it works with OpenVix 3.0 too). Unless Huevos is reffering to other images...

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Richard, post a link to the website.

The way I see it what do you need the LCD for? Ultimo has a lot more real estate on the VFD than the Duo2. Duo2 is quicker booting than Ultimo but does this really matter. Ultimo starting point on price is quite a bit lower at around 350GBP. That will get you 2 DVB-S2 internal tuners. 60 quid more for a dual tuner card for slot "C" will get you to 4 internal tuners. Add a Nova-T or similar USB stick s/h off eBay for a tenner. And then you need a hard disc. I'd recommend a 2TB 3.5" for internal install. And you also need a USB stick (best formatted Ext4) for picons and other back-up bits and pieces. And if you really do need an LCD you can always use one that is not integrated into the receiver.

If you want to see this up and running you are always welcome to come and take a look.

@strs65, I think OpenPLi used to be cutting edge, but to me now it just seems they are playing catch-up with the other images. If you go through their forum it seems they want everybody else to write code and patches for them, and there are no new innovations.

strs65

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Greece (Crete - Chania)
@strs65, I think OpenPLi used to be cutting edge, but to me now it just seems they are playing catch-up with the other images. If you go through their forum it seems they want everybody else to write code and patches for them, and there are no new innovations.

I think you have a point here and more or less I agree with you! For example, one of the things I would like to see in OpenPLi is your blindscan plugin, but for some reason they don't include it in their images.

Right now I'm testing OpenATV on my Uno (I'm using Meoboot with BH in flash and various images in a USB stick), which includes your plugin (as OpenVix does). Which image do you think is best for VU+ decoders (Uno, Ultimo, Solo2, Duo2) right now?

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
I'm testing OpenATV on my Uno (I'm using Meoboot with BH in flash and various images in a USB stick), which includes your plugin (as OpenVix does). Which image do you think is best for VU+ decoders (Uno, Ultimo, Solo2, Duo2) right now?
From a personal, reliability, and innovation point of view I'd pick OpenViX over any other image.

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
N-E from Riga
I've tried almost every available image on DM8k and also on GB_Quad. Now have TeamRed image on GB and original DM image on dreambox. Have HD_Glass16 skin on both boxes.