Going to try my PC again, Suggestions?

juustme

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
P4 Shuttle Box XP Pro 800 FSB TwinHan PCI
My Location
uk
At the moment I have upgraded one of my PC's (Athlon 64x2 4600) to a new PCI DVB-S2 card taking out the old videomate S350 in hopes of getting better HD reception. Sadly DVBDream doesn't seem to want to work with the new card though it's included software does work as apparently does ProgDVB.

Here's the essence of the question. What's the best way to go about this as it's been a few years since I've used my PC last for TV and I'm a bit rusty as to what to do & if I need more things.

At the moment we have two TV's & motorized dishes one running through a Technomate 5200USB & one through a Dreambox 500s (this one is the one I really want to replace with my PC's but in HD ideally using the network capabilities ;-).

I guess I'm trying to figure out how to:
a) Drive the dish with the PC as easy as with the Technomate (previously I used a fixed dish & a Disqc switch).
b) Get a working EPG to schedule recordings (ever since I moved across the pond I haven't been able to get this feature to work :(
c) Watch & record all HD as flicker free as possible.

Is there a simple 'how to' guide for the thousands of people who do this daily? :-rofl2

I was sad when I had to go back to STB's a couple years ago as the PC / MyTheatre setup worked so beautifuly 'when it was working'.

PS Should I keep my dreambox as a card reader?

portly

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Bush freesat hd box, iss 70cm dish,single passion lnb , goodmans GDB15HD freeview box
My Location
heathrow
I cant answer your questions as im not a techie and have a basic setup. how ever i use the s350 and have no problem with HD , i use the core codec or at this moment the microsoft codecs in win7 with no problems, i run my dish through a fs4200 sd box first then into my pc, it maybe your box/es or codecs that are causing the problem and not the s350 card:eek:the software that comes with the s350 is s*** so i just use the driver and dvbdream the 1.5 beta version now, i also installed HD 2.1 codec pack, but have now started using microsofts own codecs as they are hd comlpiant in win7, about time:-rofl2 Gaz
P/s is hd really worth it, you only get bbc now and again ,itv very rarely and luxe is pretty boring, i believe HD is a rip off, its a mine is bigger than yours senario, i use a upscaling freeview box for so called hd aint going to pay for it, it a picture quality we should have as standard not an extra