Gone motorised, now I want an additional fixed dish.

cric2k

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Motorised 85cm Penta with Inverto Black Ultra Quad - Sky Mini dish with quad LNB. Vu+ Duo, DM800, Dm500.
My Location
Belfast
You know how it is, get a new motorised toy - but you can't play around with it because the kiddies are watching Catoonito in the other room on 28.2e.

So if I was to add a fixed dish pointing to 28.2e beside my motorised. What would be the best way of integrating it with the motorised system and my 3 satellite STBs - so that for instance the dreambox that is on watching 28.2e will automatically point to the correct dish, but when I change to a channel on say 13e it will automatically switch to the motorised - not affecting any other box which is still watching 28.2e?

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
For the two slave receivers it's a very easy solution, just use a diseqc 1.0 switch for each box to switch between the 28e dish and the Lnb on the motorised.

The main receiver could stay as it is, it depends how complicated you want to make things.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Just three x two way DiSEqC switches should do, with leg one going to the motorised Quad LNB and leg two going to the Astra 28.2 LNB. Then set up the receivers to expect to see Astra 28.s on port two fo the DiSEqC switch. On the main receiver, the switch needs to be between the motor and the LNB.

Damn, must type more quickly.:)

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
rolfw said:
On the main receiver, the switch needs to be between the motor and the LNB.
If it is the Dreambox driving it it shouldn't matter because the motor command is the last command in the string... unless I'm missing something.

cric2k

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Motorised 85cm Penta with Inverto Black Ultra Quad - Sky Mini dish with quad LNB. Vu+ Duo, DM800, Dm500.
My Location
Belfast
I take it it's a DiSEqC switch per tuner? I've only got one twin tuner box.

I'm throwing something else into the mix here. I've already got the Coax wires running under floors and everything from my last renovation - can I put these DiSEqC switches outside beside the two dishes so I don't have to double up on the cabling the whole way?

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Yes get them with weather proof covers.

cric2k

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Belfast
ok good stuff, I'm going to get myself a sat finder and try do this install myself this time.

Which reminds me of a little story. When I was in Malta and my 1.5m dish used to get misaligned in storms I would get two laptops both with MSN messenger. I'd point one laptop at the tv with the digibox signal levels on the screen - then start a 'video chat' conversation with the other laptop - bring the other laptop on to my roof and move the dish until I seen the signal level spiking up and down through the webcam pointed at the tv :)