good card

nistleboy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
technomate 54c,tm600,eagle.80cm motorised dish.
My Location
n.ireland
hi all:)
could someone tell me any decent cards i could use for sharing which i could buy as a year subs.also i have a dns account but not sure how u know u have a fixed ip.
plus also if you have 2 dm boxes connected do you really need a server. sorry for all the questions would actually like just to see it work :)

zoro25

Attack of the Clones
Reaction score
Website
www.thetestmanager.com
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 800 - Nabilosat Image and 250gig Hard-drive (pointing at 28.2E)
Dreambox 7020 with 120 gig hard-drive disk - running a motorised dish
DM600 +DM500
although only usually the 800 and 7020 are both on.
My Location
UK
I'll attempt to answer some of your questions.
(1) You should get a sub which YOU want to watch. The thing for you to remember is that the sharing part of the hobby could be cut by providers at any point in the future so rather than being stuck with a sub you can't watch at home try and get something your interested in.
Reading the forums where sharing takes place will give you some idea as to what is in high demand. (at the moment HD Packages on all providers)

(2) The easiest way to tell if you have a fixed ip is to visit a site like whatsmyip.com and then it will tell you your external IP. Then disconnect your router for about 5 minutes and then turn it back on. Once your up and running again visit the same site. If your ip is the same chances are you have a fixed ip. If its different then you have a dynamic one.

(3) If you have 2 boxes then one will have to be the server and one the client so yes you will still need a server. (you won't need an external one - unless you want something that is not on your subscription - See my answer to Q1 about getting something you want.)

Don' forget the Sticky Dummies Guide. It should be the main "goto" place for information if your starting out.

nistleboy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
technomate 54c,tm600,eagle.80cm motorised dish.
My Location
n.ireland
thanks zorro.
you cleared a lot up for me just a quick question do u know any sites i could use as a server and what is the max no of connections a dreambox can serve to.

zoro25

Attack of the Clones
Reaction score
Website
www.thetestmanager.com
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 800 - Nabilosat Image and 250gig Hard-drive (pointing at 28.2E)
Dreambox 7020 with 120 gig hard-drive disk - running a motorised dish
DM600 +DM500
although only usually the 800 and 7020 are both on.
My Location
UK
Dreamboxes can handle a lot of connections and there are so many variables that it would be impossible to give a max, however unless your thinking of running a commercial server (which is frowned upon) you are unlikely to hit it.

As for a site which you can use as a server I think you have the wrong idea. You should read up the Dummies Guide like I said which will explain a bit more.
Websites do not act as servers. (Your DreamBox does)