Good Evening Gentlemen

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax 5100Ci
My Location
Lancashire
firstly I hope this is in the right place, if it aint Please feel free to move it to its rightful position.........

Ok, i've just moved house (Sortof!!) & I appear to have aquired a Sat System I know NOTHING (& I mean NOTHING!!) about...

Please help me.....Heres what I THINK I have....

Humax 5100CI receiver linked to a ceiling mounted projector, outside is a dish (Bit bigger than yer Sky Dish I suppose)....my "new" neighbour tells me it's pointing at Hotbird (But if I switch it on the menu says Astra 1)

Channels go up to bout 1750 (Or so it says on the reciever box front) Having spent most of last night going thru them 1 by 1 i suppose I get bout 60 to 75 channels the others either come up with "No or Bad Signal" or "Not transmitting or Scrambled"

At this point I gave in Me head was MASHED & my sight had gone blurred...........

I'm a Heating & Ventilation Eng.....I can fix yer Boiler but Sats ....Nooooooooo!!!!! i'll leave that to you experts

It ALL "Appears" to work but How do I "Set it up" for watching ANYTHING ENGLISH ( & the odd bit of Ooooo la Lar!!!! of course)

So what have I got ?... Whats it "looking" at... What can I get,,& how do I get it????

Dead Simple this aint it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards

The Hooded Claw (Aka Keith J)

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Welcome to the forum Keith

The first thing you have not done is tot tell us which channels you currently get, you think Hotbird so do you recognise any of these names?

You need to determine if your dish is motorised in other words does it look like this with the motor at the back behind the dish?

Attachments

• 20050711-28%20East%20on%20motor[1].gif
    20050711-28%20East%20on%20motor[1].gif
    56.1 KB · Views: 32
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax 5100Ci
My Location
Lancashire
Hi Ya topper,

yeah They look like things i can "See" in the EPG menu ( i found a Russian one last night) well I think it was some dude in a full army dress uniform singin his Go-nads off....But I digress............

No it aint motorised it just Screwed there...(Bit like ME really!!!)

Oh! & I found a "card" in the CI Slot (just says "open Platform")

God!! I must sound a right THICKO at this .....

Any help from you experts would be a HUGE leap forward

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
the hooded claw said:
Hi Ya topper,

yeah They look like things i can "See" in the EPG menu ( i found a Russian one last night) well I think it was some dude in a full army dress uniform singin his Go-nads off....But I digress............

Not bothered about what you see in the EPG menu, can you confirm the satellite you are receiving....
the hooded claw said:
No it aint motorised it just Screwed there...(Bit like ME really!!!)

So a fixed system, is there just one lnb, one cable or one lnb two cables?
the hooded claw said:
Oh! & I found a "card" in the CI Slot (just says "open Platform")

Probably a fun 6 card or similar in an MR CAM. Have you pulled out the unit holding the card, it is like a PCMCIA unit in a laptop

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax 5100Ci
My Location
Lancashire
Ok topper it's Deffo Hotbird.......(against my better judgement I have phoned the "gentleman" that lived here (With my wife!!!) whilst I was away in a "desert" type country...............

He was only too happy to help (mind you that was after I threatened to shuv a sharp object up a certain part of his anatomy !!!!)

The PCMCIA thingy says "Merlin" on it I have 1 LNB with 1 cable

Oh & having now found my Glasses it says " This PC Card gives access to encrypted DVB/Mpeg-2 transmissions............

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Forget the Merlin CAM and card, they are useless now, completely out of date and old technology.

You will have to look at something like the diablo CAM and learn how to program it, possibly motorise the dish to get worthwhile results.