"Goosed" HDD in Mutant H51

Ghostleader

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm motorised Inverto dish with Dark Motor full metal gears, Xtrend 9500HD, Amiko Alien 2+, Amiko Alien 8900, Moded Zone 2 dish with multi LNB goodness! 50 inch full HD LCD and loads of other stuff! lol
My Location
Glasgow,ish!
Just making myself a tea to put hairs on my chest and I'll be setting about removing the ex $ly HD HDD from this box, box froze the other night while watching a live channel, upon restarting, numerous power downs & including removing the 12v power pin completely for in excess of 20mins it still does not spin up. Let's see what happens with this......

P.S. any recommendations for a 2.5inch drive, I heard Samsung are good PVR drives in this size

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Get a pvr hdd. Their power settings are optimised for pvr use and may last longer than a bog standard computer type hdd..

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
^^ That of course is a possibility but you never know what sort of abuse a second hand hdd has had. If its not going to have anything critically important on it then yup thats an ideal & cheap option.

Ghostleader

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm motorised Inverto dish with Dark Motor full metal gears, Xtrend 9500HD, Amiko Alien 2+, Amiko Alien 8900, Moded Zone 2 dish with multi LNB goodness! 50 inch full HD LCD and loads of other stuff! lol
My Location
Glasgow,ish!
buy a cheap sky box purely for the hdd.

Na bugger that Chris, the drive that's went defunct was out of our old $ky HDD box that had 12 months of mild recording service and was burst open and had the drive removed.

Ghostleader

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Glasgow,ish!
Just finished my mug of tea, putting on lab gloves from the work, will report back on what I find.

A

Archive-8

Na bugger that Chris, the drive that's went defunct was out of our old $ky HDD box that had 12 months of mild recording service and was burst open and had the drive removed.

It was the only good thing sly did for me. I ripped the hdd out of the sly box when I told them to stick the contract! And popped it in to my Vu Duo as a Freesat box :cool:

Now the Vu Duo has evolved into a plex network tuner. (Works really well)

Ghostleader

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Glasgow,ish!
Well that's went weird as hell...IMG_20180202_234339_zpsr320ipms.jpgIMG_20180202_234400_zpsd2zpa5fu.jpgIMG_20180202_234921_zpsefogzknx.jpg

Went to check the receiver one last time, pulled the power pin, disconnected the coaxials, the HDMI, placed on the carpet, plugged in the 12V power pin to see that one last time and the HDD spins up........

Ghostleader

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Glasgow,ish!
The HDD pictured came from an old $ky HD box that the gf had at her previous address, the one that's in the box thats magically started working again is from the box we got off them when I signed up for a year with them in our house, so it's newer, also a Seagate from what I remember, don't think it's this "Pipeline HD.2" model though.

Last edited:

Ghostleader

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Glasgow,ish!
It was the only good thing sly did for me. I ripped the hdd out of the sly box when I told them to stick the contract! And popped it in to my Vu Duo as a Freesat box :cool:

Now the Vu Duo has evolved into a plex network tuner. (Works really well)

Yeah that's I what done, cancelled for the end of the 12 months, ripped the drive out and bint the plastic piece of crap.

Ghostleader

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Glasgow,ish!
Right so the only thing that changed was I disconnected the coaxial to place the receiver at floor level on the carpet, so why would this have any relationship to the HDD not spinning up? E2 firmware quirk or something more? Weird one is all I know.

RustySpoons

Sleepy Hollow
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
50E - 30W
2x CM 1.2m Polar Mount/Jack
65E- 65W
Gibertini 1m OP100 - STAB HH100 - Inverto Black Ultra 0.2 Twin
Mutant HD51
Edision Primo IP S2
Dreambox DM800HD
Venton Unibox HD2
Sony Bravia 55" 4K
My Location
South Wales
Right so the only thing that changed was I disconnected the coaxial to place the receiver at floor level on the carpet, so why would this have any relationship to the HDD not spinning up? E2 firmware quirk or something more? Weird one is all I know.
Maybe the SATA power wasn't in far enough, they can wiggle out with vibration and was occasionally making contact?