Ground mounting of dish

New2It

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7020, HH120 Discq notor with Triax 1.1m
Hi All

New to this sort of thing so hope someone can help.

After researching the forums I have decided that I need either a ad3000ip or TS 4000 to allow me to receive as many stations as possible (unless other recommendations). Side note (what LNB is good?).

Living in Yorkshire I (think) I will need a 1m dish and wish to have this motorised (H-H best?). I do not particularily want it on the house so think it will need to go in the garden.

The main question is how do I go about this? Is it mounted on a pole and if so what about height? How far away can the main lead be run?

Any information would be greatly received so thanking anyone in advance.

H

Happy-Buddah

I dropped a 3m scaffold pole 1m into the ground at the side of my conservatory. Light weight tie to the corner of the conservatory, just to hold the pole true whilst the concrete set. I used 5 bags of "post set" and any old bit of metal and broken bricks that I could find.
I've had 85cm, 98cm, 1m and 1.25m dishes on it at times, all motorised, and it is still true vertical.
I run 10m cable through a co-ax switch with no problems from the motor to the receiver.
The dish is mounted on the pole so that I can just walk under it without knocking my head on the lowest point.
I can see from 53* east to 58* west, houses and trees outside those limits.
There are some tripod mounts available from some of the suppliers if you wanted to get lower to the ground but then you have to be concerned about the height of hedges, fences etc blocking signals.
H-B

JohnC

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pioneer PDP- LX5090 50"TV
2x Samsung 50" TV
Sony RDRHXD870 DVD/HDD Recorder
Sony RDRHDX950 DVD/HDD Recorder
Humax Foxsat HD
Technomate TM-5402HD piggy-backed to a
Technomate 5500 CI Dap receiver.
Technomate TM5400C-usb connected also to 1.2 metre mo
My Location
Multi-sat enthusiast in the Heart of England since 1993....
New2It said:
Hi All

The main question is how do I go about this? Is it mounted on a pole and if so what about height? How far away can the main lead be run?

Any information would be greatly received so thanking anyone in advance.
You can get purpose built stands or a pole about 3.5 to 4 feet high will do..
I prefure the stands myself.... if it goes out of verticle or I want to move it its very easy to do so....
My 1.2 mtre dish has a cable run of 50 feet and is fine..... see below...
You cant beat a ground stand or one close to the ground like Happy Buddah as opposed to a high wall mounted one.... its easy to service or sort any problems out!
John

New2It

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Thanks guys

Do you know of any good website that shows good quality mounts, I think I will be mounting as per JohnC.

From the other forums I suspect that the receiver will be either a TS 4000 from Techsan or AD-3000ip (motorised?). Which would be better for motorised control (other suggestions most welcome).

Also any suggestions on the actual motor?

Many thanks

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
A good selection of ground mounts can be had from this supplier -

h**p://www.jwhardy.co.uk/shop/pages/pl_ant_brackets.html

The AD3000ip was a good, robust STB, I still use mine regularly. Unfortunately it is no longer in production. You may be able to obtain one 2nd hand or perhaps through ebay. You would need a 36V motor for this though.

Plenty of choices of motors. Moteks and Stabs are two of the mast popular makes.

Llew

JohnC

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2x Samsung 50" TV
Humax Foxsat HD
My Location
My Technomate 5500 CI Dap (it has a 38v drive for my 18" Superjack) was a cheap but very impressive Digi upgrade to my old Echostars for just £199.00 last summer from _http://www.satellitesuperstore.com/technomate.htm... Ive always found David the boss there always very helpfull.... Ive been dealing with him for about 12 years now on and off.....
Ive also delt with JW Hardy for some years (They are about 20 minutes drive from me)... who I also find helpfull... if a little dearer with some items..!!
Regards John
PS.. The object covering the LNB in my picture by the way is an empty plastic sweet jar which I use as added protection from the weather....... it works a treat as I did have water ingress problems in the early days (in 1993).

New2It

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
I would like to thank you all for replying.

As someone new to the hobby I was expecting little response as newbies questions may often seem trivial to those who have been around for a while.

This has not been the case here and once again thank you.

JohnC

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2x Samsung 50" TV
Humax Foxsat HD
My Location
New2It said:
I would like to thank you all for replying.

As someone new to the hobby I was expecting little response as newbies questions may often seem trivial to those who have been around for a while.

This has not been the case here and once again thank you.
Happy viewing old son...!!!
Regards John

PCD

DB Magician
Reaction score
I have mounted my 1m dish with motor on a round (about 5cm dia and 1.8m tall) garden pole fixed to the patio and bracketed to the house wall, still ok after 3 years ! Of course if a post is concreted without wall support, it will need threeway bracing. Seriously, better to buy a ready made metal support in open situations.