Satspot

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TM5402 M4
1.2m Triax dish
Technomate H to H motor
My Location
Ireland
Is there an equivalent of the WebIf on an E2 receiver for an android receiver such as the GTMedia Combo?
For example, is there an android app that can be loaded onto a GTMedia Combo that allows it to be fully controlled by a PC in a similar manner to what the WebIf does for an E2 receiver?

The WebIf for E2 on a PC accesses the E2 receiver using a web browser via the LAN IP of the E2 receiver.
As the GTMedia Combo has its own LAN IP, an app on the GTMedia Combo could host connectivity and allow control from a PC, if such an app exists?
What are you trying to achieve. Put the Combo in server mode and serve to a client. If that’s the case just get the Combo to create a playlist and have your client play it in real time.

What kind of control do you need over the Combo. Sounds more like SSH to me. In that case install SSHelper app.

Of course there’s the GT Share app I’ve mentioned here a thousand times. Just install it on the Combo so the Combo can act like a server/client all in one box.

Maybe you could be a bit more specific on what you are trying to achieve. You’ll find most of anything you’re looking for in the App Store with a simple search and of course the best place for this query is the GT Media forum where Tom.W will be only too glad to point you in the right direction.

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Of course, it's called a mobile telephone.

I was asking if there was something available for a PC, or at least I thought I was, perhaps I did not make that point clear enough?
I suppose at a stretch you could say a mobile phone was a scaled back partly functional PC?

For the sake of clarity, I will define the PC to be used for my need as a mid tower sized PC with an ATX motherboard, a quad core i7 CPU and 16gb of RAM plus the other usual guff required to make it work.

Last edited:

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
What are you trying to achieve. Put the Combo in server mode and serve to a client. If that’s the case just get the Combo to create a playlist and have your client play it in real time.

What kind of control do you need over the Combo. Sounds more like SSH to me. In that case install SSHelper app.

Of course there’s the GT Share app I’ve mentioned here a thousand times. Just install it on the Combo so the Combo can act like a server/client all in one box.

Maybe you could be a bit more specific on what you are trying to achieve. You’ll find most of anything you’re looking for in the App Store with a simple search and of course the best place for this query is the GT Media forum where Tom.W will be only too glad to point you in the right direction.

I wish to control the GTCombo at a remote location using a PC.

Here is a theoretical example, I am sat here at a PC in the UK. I have a GTCombo connected to a 3.0m dish in South America and there is a PC in the same room as the GTCombo in South America.
I can logon and control the PC in South America easy, that is not an issue. What I want to do is to be able to operate the GTCombo in South America by some means via the PC

It is easy to see what is going on with the GTCombo as the menus/pictures from it can be captured by the PC.
What is not so obvious is how to have unattended control of the GTMedia Combo from the PC next to it.

Last edited:

Manikm909

Small'ish Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Channel Master 1.8M on Edision MIO 4K & GTMEDIA Combo, and CM1.2M on Octagon SF8008
My Location
Kent, UK
@moonbase could you not install teamviewer for android onto the COMBO - and access it that way ...? in theory that would give you exactly what you want.

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
@moonbase could you not install teamviewer for android onto the COMBO - and access it that way ...? in theory that would give you exactly what you want.

Hmmm, not thought of that, I will give it a try.

The other option I was thinking about apart from android apps was some form of USB-UIRT device.
However, from an initial assesment they might be limited to the scope of the supporting software in what it can do.

Satspot

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TM5402 M4
1.2m Triax dish
Technomate H to H motor
My Location
Ireland
I wish to control the GTCombo at a remote location using a PC.

Here is a theoretical example, I am sat here at a PC in the UK. I have a GTCombo connected to a 3.0m dish in South America and there is a PC in the same room as the GTCombo in South America.
I can logon and control the PC in South America easy, that is not an issue. What I want to do is to be able to operate the GTCombo in South America by some means via the PC

It is easy to see what is going on with the GTCombo as the menus/pictures from it can be captured by the PC.
What is not so obvious is how to have unattended control of the GTMedia Combo from the PC next to it.
No doubt you are aware that both the Linux and Android kernel are practically identical therefore I’d advise using a flavour of Linux on the PC so both units will be talking the same or similar language.

I’m also assuming from your South American example you are now stepping outside your LAN and you are talking a WAN connection. With the level of flakiness users are experiencing with the firmware on the Combo I wouldn’t hold out too much hope of maintaining a solid connection between PC and Combo over a WAN. Fine for LAN connection.

Let’s say I wouldn’t bet on getting a months uninterrupted recordings of the South American version of Eastenders. The only monkeys you’ll be seeing will be the ones in the jungle.

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
The only monkeys you’ll be seeing will be the ones in the jungle.

There is no need to go to South America to see monkeys, there are plenty on display closer to home.

In my post that you quoted I said the the PC I was hoping to connect to the GTMedia Combo would be in the same room as the Combo, they are both on the LAN at the remote site.
Connection from UK PC to South America PC would be WAN using remote desktop software such as Anydesk, RemotePC or Team Viewer. Connectivity to the Combo would be by LAN from the PC on the remote site.

Satspot

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TM5402 M4
1.2m Triax dish
Technomate H to H motor
My Location
Ireland
There is no need to go to South America to see monkeys, there are plenty on display closer to home.

In my post that you quoted I said the the PC I was hoping to connect to the GTMedia Combo would be in the same room as the Combo, they are both on the LAN at the remote site.
Connection from UK PC to South America PC would be WAN using remote desktop software such as Anydesk, RemotePC or Team Viewer. Connectivity to the Combo would be by LAN from the PC on the remote site.
Interesting....special forces black ops activity possibly.

Well a local PC to remote PC to remote Combo control. Surely a remote PC with a decent DVBS card would make more sense. Why would you want to introduce an unnecessary overhead like a Combo into the equation. Still each to their own.

Seems like you’ve answered you’re own question. Good luck with Team Viewer on that setup you propose. You’ll need wads of patience with that one. Hope you don’t end up the Amazon without a paddle.

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Interesting....special forces black ops activity possibly.

Well a local PC to remote PC to remote Combo control. Surely a remote PC with a decent DVBS card would make more sense. Why would you want to introduce an unnecessary overhead like a Combo into the equation. Still each to their own.

No special forces black ops activity, simply looking into the options available to control a GTMedia Combo remotely.
If it cannot be done then that is OK, not an issue.

A DVBS Card does not provide some of the functionality available from a GTMedia Combo.

Anydesk works for the connectivity part, I managed to get the connection established easily enough between a Windows PC and the GTMedia Combo over a LAN using Anydesk
However, there may be some settings to configure or a plugin I have to install as I do not have remote control yet from the Windows PC even though I have the Combo menus displayed via Anydesk on the PC monitor.

Dont worry about me being stuck up the Amazon without a paddle.
It was a theoretical example I gave as pointed out in post 663 of the topic.

Manikm909

Small'ish Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Channel Master 1.8M on Edision MIO 4K & GTMEDIA Combo, and CM1.2M on Octagon SF8008
My Location
Kent, UK
why do people feel the need to try and be smartar53's on here all the time! its so not cool

AaronZ

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Newly installed Dish with old Sky box, Windows 10 PC intel i7 10th Gen
My Location
North East, England
Hello everyone apologies if this isnt the right place but this seems to be the only place people from the UK are talking about these boxes. So basically we recently moved house and had a new dish installed and we have a Sky+HD box and a multiroom mini box both from 2014. Long story short, the multiroom box is dead, and instead of getting a new/used Sky box from ebay these would be ideal considering how small they are. I noticed some of them (like the combo and also the V9 Prime) have a "CA card input", would there be any benefit to putting the Sky card from the dead box into one of these or should I just throw it away along with the dead box?

Also I'm assuming the picture quality is just as good? I'm leaning more towards the V9 since its a fair bit cheaper. Thanks.

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
Multiroom boxes can be bought quite cheaply, if you are still paying a subscription an official Sky box is the only option - your card won't work in anything else. Most non-Sky receivers, including I believe those GTMedia, won't have the full 7-day EPG with only now & next information.

No problems with picture quality on the V9 or any other GTMedia receiver that I know of.

AaronZ

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Newly installed Dish with old Sky box, Windows 10 PC intel i7 10th Gen
My Location
North East, England
Oh yeah forgot to mention we didn't get a new Sky subscription in this house so we are basically just using the Sky+HD box as FreeSat now anyway and this will just be for upstairs. Having said that we might be willing to get a second one for downstairs if its decent enough, since we cant use the recording function on the Sky+ box without the sub anymore, so it'd be good to just record to a USB stick or whatever.

Whats the CA card input used for?

Satspot

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TM5402 M4
1.2m Triax dish
Technomate H to H motor
My Location
Ireland
Multiroom boxes can be bought quite cheaply, if you are still paying a subscription an official Sky box is the only option - your card won't work in anything else. Most non-Sky receivers, including I believe those GTMedia, won't have the full 7-day EPG with only now & next information.

No problems with picture quality on the V9 or any other GTMedia receiver that I know of.
Technomate Support - TM-5402 M4

There are a number of other non Sky boxes that provide 7 day EPG too

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Technomate Support - TM-5402 M4

There are a number of other non Sky boxes that provide 7 day EPG too
The ZGemma H9S that I upgraded last night has an EPG that eventually populates for Astra 2 a number of days into the future, and seems to record everything well on a USB stick.

Attachments

• 20220424_084258[1].jpg
    20220424_084258[1].jpg
    774.4 KB · Views: 19

Dave5118

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.5m Gibertini with Inverto 5434 Unicable Hybrid LNB.
TBS 6903 with EBSPro
Vu+ Uno 4K SE
Edision OS Nino Pro
Starsat 2000HD Hyper
Sky Q Silver
Sky minidish with Sky Q Hybrid LNB
My Location
Nr Manchester UK
Just curious, how does this box fairs when blindscanning s2x feeds/channels, In particular, the recent Champions league UHD feeds that have been active in recent weeks?

ps. I'm aware it won't be able to decode UHD 4:2:2 feeds, just need it to be able to find them.
Currently a UHD feed on 7e for the Champions League semi final in S2x, if someone could test the combo and find it using blindscan?
Thanks,

John

Enthusiast.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Elite 2.2 PF - CM1.8 - CM1.2 - Gibertini 1.25.
Ku - Ka -C & Ext C.
PC cards-TM5402 receivers.
Promax FSM.
My Location
North Nottinghamshire.
Currently a UHD feed on 7e for the Champions League semi final in S2x, if someone could test the combo and find it using blindscan?
Thanks,

Frequency to check if possible

Dave5118

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.5m Gibertini with Inverto 5434 Unicable Hybrid LNB.
TBS 6903 with EBSPro
Vu+ Uno 4K SE
Edision OS Nino Pro
Starsat 2000HD Hyper
Sky Q Silver
Sky minidish with Sky Q Hybrid LNB
My Location
Nr Manchester UK
Ahhh.... but that's the Idea John, it needs to find it itself :p

John

Enthusiast.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Elite 2.2 PF - CM1.8 - CM1.2 - Gibertini 1.25.
Ku - Ka -C & Ext C.
PC cards-TM5402 receivers.
Promax FSM.
My Location
North Nottinghamshire.
Ahhh.... but that's the Idea John, it needs to find it itself :p
Ha ha - just trying to cut down on the time required to do a thorough search.
Just scanned low band vertical and not found nowt - will continue

ViaHussun

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
150 cm offset Gibertini antenna
Inverto Premium Twin LNB
TBS 5520SE TV Card
My Location
Bursa , TURKEY