PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
My trusty Epson 580 form the last century has finally died :(

Most of what I print is black and white so I'm seriously considering a B&W laser – such as this one

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=90377

It might not be much compared to other lasers, but 16 pages a minute and 2000 pages from a full toner is very tempting. However when the toner does run out it'll be expensive.

But this inkjet is cheaper and does colour, and despite not being anything special it is still much better than my old one
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=96319

But cartridges don't last long and are quite expensive.

My budget is £100 including postage.

So what should I do? The idea of a reliable fast laser is really tempting, but then again abandoning colour altogether is not easy.

Are there any printers that you would recommend instead?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Colour laser?? ;)About 600 quid now at the bottom end of the market so way outside your budget, and ferociously expensive to replace the toners.

Having run 120 odd lasers at work for the last 5 years, and a couple of dozen inkets, we will be going laser when our inkjet finally expires. So my vote goes with the laser.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
No Contest :-laz :-laz :-laz Anytime
Just transferred all 8 office based deskjet users to the networked Nashuatec laser scanner copier printer. Thus there are some 2nd hand HP printers going begging if anyone is interested. I think the newest one is a 930C or a 940C. If anyone is interested in second hand. I really haven't considered a price but the carriage will probably be more than the cost of the printer. If anyone is interested PM me and I'll get a full inventory when I am in the office on Wednesday.

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Fife, Scotland
I got the laser...well I've ordered it anyway. :-thumb1

Decided to get it from Misco, it's in stock and delivery charges aren't too bad.

After ordering it I walked past a PC shop and saw it in the window, £120! – That’s £45 more than I paid, including postage costs.

I hope it arrives before the weekend :)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I have an HP970cxi Inkjet and a Samsung ml-4500 mono laser, great combination, superb quality on photos on the inkjet and great speed with letters etc on the laser (toner cartridges £45 from Viking. :)

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Threw out and Apple 600dpi mono laser printer a couple of weeks back - the quality was great but it was big and bulky.

Did a copy count and it had only printed 386 pages in it life! - cost £1,500 several years back!

Went to the dump along with a single speed CD £250 and various Jaz, and other disc drives and mountains of disks.

Mate has a HP colour laser printer - takes four toners and the cost of them is dearer than the printer all toners are full cartridge (not testers).

When they run out he buys another printer!

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Well it arrived...yesterday. I only ordered it on Tuesday afternoon and it arrived by lunchtime on Wednesday, fantastic service, especially as I didn't pay the extra £5 for next day delivery.

Anyway I'm very pleased with the printer, it's quick, no waiting for head cleaning or delays between pages, just page after page of very clear printouts, far better quality than my old inkjet ever did. :)

Ever tried refilling the toner on your Samsung Rolf?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Looked at that PM, but to be quite honest, the old one didn't ever work that well and it looked a bit fiddley, so decided to buy a new cartridge. :)

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Fife, Scotland
The printer is still going fine, over 3300 pages printed by the last page count.

The starter toner, rated at 1000 sheets did about 900 before starting to fade. I filled it with a £5 worth of refill toner (just had to pour it in) and it was fine for another 400 or so before the drum started to go.

That toner cartridge still works but it hasn't printed true black for a while (very dark grey all over). I use it for draft work (must have done about 1500 pages since refill). It's effectively free printing (apart from the paper) as the refill was so cheap so for rough work it's great.

I got a new toner cartridge for about £40 that's supposed to do 2000 sides that I use for neat work.

I'm still glad I got the laser, no fiddly ink cartridges to change, very fast high quality printouts that don't smudge when wet or highlighted :)

Colin Creevey

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
AMD / Win98
My Location
UK
Given the amount of pages you seem to be printing the laser was certainly a good decision!

Do you miss the ability to print colour?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
If anyones interested in a cheapish colour laser, Ive just bought a Samsung CLP-510 network laser for home use, 300 quid delivered. Its lovely if a bit bulky :)

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Yes, sometimes I do miss the ability to print colour, but to be honest that has only happened on a couple of occasions. If I had a proper colour photo printer to use for photos and the rare things I need in colour alongside the laser I would be happy.

Printing things with fMRI scans in them in black and white does seem a bit pointless, but then again who actually believes those things anyway? ;-)

How does the colour quality of the CLP-510 compare to a standard inkjet analoguesat, certainly a good price :)

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Well just using cheap paper from Tescos, the print quality is excellent. :D

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
PoloMint said:
Yes, sometimes I do miss the ability to print colour, but to be honest that has only happened on a couple of occasions. If I had a proper colour photo printer to use for photos and the rare things I need in colour alongside the laser I would be happy.

Email the finished article to the client (and then they have the pleasure of printing them out ) :-rofl2

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Clients?!?! :-rofl2 :-Jumbo lol

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
I got at home a cheap canon i320, and i got 10 cartriges (4 colour and 6 B+W) for 5 Euros+shipping. That is so cheap it is incredible, and the printing quality is ok. Thank god for ebay

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Well it broke...

I suppose it wasn't really broken, there was a small area about 2cm by quarter a cm where, if the page was rubbed, the toner would come off easily. I believed this to be a bit of dirt on the fuser (the bit that melts the toner to the paper) and that it might clear itself with use. It happened after a paper jam. 250 pages later it was still there, perhaps getting slightly better.

I phoned Samsung and described the problem, before I had time to ask if it would clear up with time I was told to fax my receipt (it's still under a year old) and they would swap the printer. The next morning a delivery guy rang the doorbell, gave me the new one and took the old.

Fantastic service from Samsung, but annoying that it happened in the first place, and so might happen again.

And my page count went back to 1... O-no

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
Hi folks,

Anyone here with the Samsung CLP-510 that can tell me more about the toner setup.

My Q is basically, does it have separate toners for everything, or, one for colour + one for black, or, is it an all-in-one?

Ooops, there's more ...

Can this/these cartridges be refilled (totally forgotten how a laser printer works) and, finally, are replacement cartridges only made by Samsung or are there other Co's making them.

That's enough for now. Thanks in advance.

ruperte

Reaction score
BarMoo said:
Hi folks,

Anyone here with the Samsung CLP-510 that can tell me more about the toner setup.

My Q is basically, does it have separate toners for everything, or, one for colour + one for black, or, is it an all-in-one?

One for each colour - so you only need to pay for the actual ink your using.

BarMoo said:
Ooops, there's more ...

Can this/these cartridges be refilled (totally forgotten how a laser printer works) and, finally, are replacement cartridges only made by Samsung or are there other Co's making them.

That's enough for now. Thanks in advance.

http://www.proprint.co.uk/samsung_clp_510.htm

These people do refill kits. The CLP-510 has a fuse that you can replace - which is a bit annoying - but still works out lots cheaper than a ordinary cartridge replacement.

As far as colour lasers go - I've got a Epson C900 which I reckon is the best thing since sliced bread.

I've refilled the black 2 times and yellow once - its a 2 min operation involving a screwdriver to reset a bit of plastic. Total cost was £20 each fill.

And best of all nothing ever dries out.

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
Toner with onboard 'Chip' :eek: Uuum, at least it can be replaced.;)

Limiting user options (refilling, etc) I thought was HP's nasty little trick, LOL.

Can't wait to buy a new laser - so I can throw my HP out of the window, literally!

Only problem is I live on the ground floor, so the the little shit would'nt make quite the disintegrate as I would dearly hope for. And I don't know anyone with a HumVee :-worship HP wins again.

And, of course, I'll have to buy a new scanner. Uuumm, and the one I really like is the stand-up glass affair that - [cough] - HP make. :-rofl2 :-rofl2 Doh!