Handheld tv for dish setup

Dishy1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven 43cm minidish. Zinwell quad lnb.
My Location
Derbyshire UK
Has anyone connected a small handheld tv to their satellite setup & got sound and vision?

I have a number of dishes to install at unoccupied properties and was thinking of buying a cheap secondhand handheld with an av input socket. Since these are powered by their own internal batteries I believe I can avoid certain licensing issues.

I've had a quick look at what scart to composite av adapters are available but nothing seems to quite fit the bill.

Thanks,
Sid

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Thread moved to correct section.

A good second hand meter/analyser would suit.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Yes, I have a 7inch LCD TV, it has composite video and audio AV inputs. Works fine, bought it new from ebay for about £40.

Rick

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fibo 1.2m HH, Wavefield T90. AzBox HD Premium, Vu+ Duo
My Location
Blackburn, Lancs
I have a 7" LCD. I don't bother with sound, and use composite video. I have a 30m long Co-Ax with made up with composite jacks for carrying reciever video signal up to the dish.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
A satlook NIT or even a Micro wouldn't set you back that much. Much more professional.

Rick

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fibo 1.2m HH, Wavefield T90. AzBox HD Premium, Vu+ Duo
My Location
Blackburn, Lancs
satelliteman said:
A satlook NIT or even a Micro wouldn't set you back that much. Much more professional.

Very true it looks more proffesional with a proper meter. Though I've never had anyone comment when I use the 7" LCD.

BombedOne

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Covering 30W-105.5E range, two motors, C and Ku band. Various receivers/cards/cams/etc.
My Location
Republic of Georgia
You can buy a 7' or 10' portable, battery powered LCD tv, with built in DVB-S receiver for about $120 in China. Made by Lilliput company ltd.

Dishy1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven 43cm minidish. Zinwell quad lnb.
My Location
Derbyshire UK
Thank you all

Sid

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
The trouble with professional meters is that you have to spend a significant amount more to get at least same functionality that can be achieved with a receiver+Tv. I only use my meter when it's raining.:)

BombedOne

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Covering 30W-105.5E range, two motors, C and Ku band. Various receivers/cards/cams/etc.
My Location
Republic of Georgia
Well, sometimes meter is necessary, for example when it's required to fine tune LNB skew for lowest polarization, or to detect interference.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Robbo said:
The trouble with professional meters is that you have to spend a significant amount more to get at least same functionality that can be achieved with a receiver+Tv. I only use my meter when it's raining.:)

Spec analysers can of course come in handy for fault finding. Also required for obtaining more accurate signal measurements over a simple strength/quality reading that a bulk standard receiver will give you. For example, best way to accurately adjust for opposite polarity null effect and identifying outside interference is by looking at a trace :)