Has calling from abroad ever got your Sky card cancelled?

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
OK we've all read and heard many stories about activating Sky/FTV cards, or changing Sky subscriptions, from an overseas number leading to the cards being cancelled.

But has this actually happened to you?

The solutions are always the same, use a UK roaming mobile, get your mate back home to do it, block the number etc, but is this really necessary?

I've called Sky many times over the years from a Spanish landline without any attempt to hide the number, and never had any questions, let alone problems.

The reports I've read online are never seem first hand, people have been told by installers, experts, relatives, friends about the dangers, but I've not read anything where someone reports that this has actually happened to them.

So, who has it happened to? It's become urban legend...never phone Sky from abroad...is this actually based on fact? The digidialer used to activate accounts and bill PPV events calls from foreign landlines, if Sky check up so much on voice calls then why don't they check on data ones?

I'm not saying that this has never happened, but does anyone have any first hand experience of it actually happening to them?

geoffreys

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
Famaval 2.4m dish, Invacom 0.2dB LNB (single), Pace 430N
My Location
Famagusta District, Cyprus
PoloMint said:
OK we've all read and heard many stories about activating Sky/FTV cards, or changing Sky subscriptions, from an overseas number leading to the cards being cancelled.

But has this actually happened to you?

The solutions are always the same, use a UK roaming mobile, get your mate back home to do it, block the number etc, but is this really necessary?

I've called Sky many times over the years from a Spanish landline without any attempt to hide the number, and never had any questions, let alone problems.

The reports I've read online are never seem first hand, people have been told by installers, experts, relatives, friends about the dangers, but I've not read anything where someone reports that this has actually happened to them.

So, who has it happened to? It's become urban legend...never phone Sky from abroad...is this actually based on fact? The digidialer used to activate accounts and bill PPV events calls from foreign landlines, if Sky check up so much on voice calls then why don't they check on data ones?

I'm not saying that this has never happened, but does anyone have any first hand experience of it actually happening to them?

Well my own experience is that unless you are stupid enough to tell them you are located outside the UK they are not bothered, even though they know fron CLI you are calling in from outside the UK. I suppose SKY must know they have 1000s of viewers in other parts of Europe and do not wish to lose the revenues. HOWEVER, if they are told you are overseas they dare not risk being a party to the breach of their licence conditions and will cut off service.
This happened to a neighbour of ours here in Cyprus. He told them he was in Cyprus and he was advised his sub was invalid and he was cut off. He received no refund. Now I don't know how common this is, not often is my guess because I would imagine very few of us are daft enough to tell them.
I would be interested also to learn about any other cases,
Regards,
Geoff